Free virus protection program for my CPU?

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
So I bought a new laptop a couple of months ago. It came with a free 2 months trial of McAfee. Now they want to charge me and I must agree to auto pay annually. I don't want to agree to these terms. Any one know of a free or non annual auto pay virus protection that I can sign up for?

oldmodman

Established Member
Don't use it, don't pay for it.

McAfee is the WORST program out there. It is almost impossible to get rid of.

Lots of perfectly decent free malware and adware out there.

SirShaun

Established Member
I've been running Avast for a long time, and it hasn't let me down yet. Silent mode for gaming and other nice options.

It does require a free account, so be aware.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
you are better off to use two. AVG w/ malwarebytes or AVAST w/ Malwarebytes either combo is good. MSE is ok but not on my recommended list at all

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Microsoft Essentials, free and have never had a issue. I'm no angel either, lol.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download

THIS! It's free, does a good job, and Microsoft updates the definitions pretty much weekly. I use it on one of our desktops and have to say I'm impressed. On our other workstations, though, I use Kaspersky. It's not that expensive and IMO is about the best product out there. But since AOC RACER is looking for something free, I concur with Microsoft Essentials.

Oh, by the way, McAfee sucks! I used it at one time. McAfee :loser:

Just_A_GT

Established Member
In the market to get some sort of antivirus SW for my dad's laptop. He's fairly computer illiterate and every time I go visit them, it seems like I'm spending 15 minutes cleaning up all the crap he's downloaded from clicking on junk.

I was just checking out the Avast website, is the next step up from the Free version worth the money or am I better off just going to Best Buy and picking up a Norton program? His computer usage really only consists of facebook, googling god knows what, skyping with family in Italy, and checking out his Scottrade accounts.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
i have never used anti virus protection. ever. been connected constant to interwebs for 15 years. never had a virus.

all the antivirus protection you need is in the tip of your finger on your right hand.

its kinda like driving your car around town, going to places you like...then you see a new street....it looks fun...along the street are hookers and drug dealers and midgets with hatchets. sure it looks fun...but dont drive down that street. get it?

Users who are viewing this thread