FR500 Catback Interference with Billetflow Brace?

Quick Strike

Established Member
I want to order a FR500 catback (M-5230-M58), but I am not sure if the X behind the mufflers will interfere with my Billetflow differential brace. Anyone have, or know of, a Cobra with the brace and a FR500 catback? I just want to be sure before I order.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You might check with Doug but I've never heard of any catback interferring with the brace.

Quick Strike

Established Member
CobraBob said:
You might check with Doug but I've never heard of any catback interferring with the brace.

I checked with BF before posting. They said they had not heard of any issue, but could not think of a car with that set up off hand. They suggested I post-up here to find out for sure. And the wheel goes round. Thanks for the information so far. It is looking good. :)

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
The X in the FR500 goes right underneath the diff. I can't see how it would hit.

You're going to like that cat back. Noticable midrange improvement. But it's quiet and mine had a slight drone around 2200 rpm. Not bad by any means...but it was there. Funny...it didn't have the drone on my 01...which it was actually designed for.

Quick Strike

Established Member
I ordered it from Steve at the discount dealer on this site - [email protected] . Those guys has the best price I have found, and I have been looking a while. These catbacks are going out of stock from FRPP, and are only available while supplies last according to several places I checked. It may be time to buy if you have been sitting on the fence. I hope it is able to quiet my system down. Thanks for the help! ;-)

Last edited:

03 DSG Cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
No, you shouldn't have any problems. I ran the FR500 on mine when I first put the brace on. The only reason I changed was because it was just too quiet around town. I actually had a more difficult time lining up my magnaflow catback correctly to keep it from hitting the weight under the pumpkin!

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
The X in the FR500 goes right underneath the diff. I can't see how it would hit.

You're going to like that cat back. Noticable midrange improvement. But it's quiet and mine had a slight drone around 2200 rpm. Not bad by any means...but it was there. Funny...it didn't have the drone on my 01...which it was actually designed for.

Is it quieter than Magnaflows?

03 DSG Cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, it is quieter than the magnaflows. It was nice on the 2001's, but the lower compression on the 03/04 keeps it pretty quiet at idle/part throttle. It is nice at full throttle, but it definitely one of quietest exhausts I have ever heard (although, stock= "is my car running?" at idle).

I have always wanted to try an MRT catted H with the FR500. I loved the quality of the FR500, but it just didn't seem right for my 03.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
SVTkel said:
Is it quieter than Magnaflows?

Yep. Lot's quieter. I went to Magnaflows from the FR500. I'm not sure that was the wisest choice. The Maggies have a much more aggressive sound...but not obnoxious by any means. The FR500 has a dual mode muffler in it that opens up under WOT. So it's much quieter around town. The midrange is also noticably better with the FR500.

JJPMach1

Red 2003 Mach 1
Established Member
My Dad just put it on his car yesterday and he has the billetflow brace. No issues at all

Good Luck.

BTW, he is completely satisfied with the pipes, great system and almost stock idle sound, but when you step on it, it really opens up.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Okay thanks. I like the sound of the Magnaflow, however I think they amay be a little loud cruising at 2000 rpm around town - for my taste anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread