FPC V8 power estimates and tuning potential

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
If volumetric efficiency stays the same as Coyote then power would be around 540hp if peak power is 8k. Looking at the changes made it appears VE would have improved. The first rumour that surfaced about Voodoo was that it had 600hp. That power figure was dismissed because it sounded too high. I'm not so sure now. I wouldn't be surprised with anything over 550hp.

The Ferrari 458 has 563HP out of its 4.5L V8 with a similar redline. I don't think it would be unreasonable to think Ford's 5.2L FPC V8 will have as much or more HP.

Voltwings

Established Member
458 redlines at 9000. You could lose like 40 torque over 1000 rpms to maintain the same hp at 8000 to 9000. The horsepower equation favors RPM, something the FPC 5.2 may very well struggle with. We'll have to see.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
The Ferrari 458 has 563HP out of its 4.5L V8 with a similar redline. I don't think it would be unreasonable to think Ford's 5.2L FPC V8 will have as much or more HP.

Ford's durability and NVH requirements are significantly more stringent that that of Ferrari's. They perform some pretty crazy tests on their engines, like freezing the engine to something like -20F, cold starting it and running it straight to redline for extended periods of time. They do this over and over and over. That alone will keep Ford's mil at a lower specific output. That's not even including the Ferrari's nearly 1000rpm advantage and DI.

On a side note, it'll be interesting to see how well this car shifts with a conventional manual and a remote shifter at stock or elevated redline.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

On a side note, it'll be interesting to see how well this car shifts with a conventional manual and a remote shifter at stock or elevated redline.

Ugh! Don't say that! I thought that picture of the new transmission showed it had a top-loader cover plate on it? I was hoping it would be a top-loader in this application.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Ugh! Don't say that! I thought that picture of the new transmission showed it had a top-loader cover plate on it? I was hoping it would be a top-loader in this application.

I don't know, but let's all hope that's the case.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member

It might, I don't really know. Even if it does, it will still be interesting to see how successful most average Joe's will be be rowing gears at 8K +. The quick rev nature of the FPC will also result in a quicker rpm drop between shifts. Those DCT type transmissions found in the high end cars really eliminate that problem.

Falc'man

Turbo? WHAT turbo?
Established Member
One thing to keep in mind is that VE goes down as RPM climbs past peak torque so I dont know that we can make a direct comparison like that, but maybe. Depends on how efficient the engine is above 6500 (which will be helped by the FPC).
Yes that's right.
If we calculate the torque at peak power for Coyote it is 351ftlbs. We know torque and volumetric efficiency are closely related so it's a good indicator. If at the very least the 5.2 hasn't gone backwards in this respect then we can plug in that value for 8k, which works out at 542hp. If power peaks @ 8200rpm then power's over 556hp. This is all off assumptions and deductions so don't take it as gospel, and plus it's just a crude method of estimation.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member

Thats one of my concerns as well. While there has been vast improvement from 2011 GT500 (which was my biggest complaint on mine), nothing beats a top-loader. From what I have seen we will continue to be stuck with the semi remote shifters. Hopefully the guys over at MGW can work some more of their magic and make a shifter since I am assuming mounting points will be different from the MT82 vs TR3160. I know I'll be installing a MGW in mine regardless.

Last edited:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
count me in as being concerned about the transmission. I also am curious what the tuning will be like on these new motors.

Formula51

Established Member
I made a pretty involved assessment a few posts back, and had a plausible output for 7500 rpm peak or an 8000rpm peak. My money is on it peaking at 8,000rpms, redline at 8300, and cut off at 85-8750rpms.

I think it'll be about 95% of peak power from 7000-8500rpms but peak at 8000. I'd be surprised if it's not at 90% of peak power from 6500-8500rpm if it peaks at 550hp. That'd be over 500hp range if my guess of 550hp is accurate.

I do agree that a wide flat power band is essential to optimum performance, I built my 5.4 combo to make "peak power" (like 97+% there of) from 5250-6750+. Sleepy stock c heads/cams, smallish turbos, etcetera. We were making over 870whp from 5200-6700rpms, peaking at 900whp around 5900rpm. It was literally too torquey though. We had 920wtq at 3800rpms, and over 600wtq from about 2750rpms.

It's also likely that I am over expecting what the voodoo will be. It may be less aggressively cammed/setup off the get go, with say 515hp and a basically flat power curve from 6500-8500rpms, it all really comes down to emission compliance, cat light off, and all that burrocracy. From there, does ford really need to play all the cards in the fpc deck with the first fpc they put out? It's smart to leave evolutional capacity within the architecture and setup. It's not that they can't put something like a 550hp fpc out today, but then what is left on the table for next year?

I'd honestly not fault ford if the fpc comes in at around 515hp@7500rpms, but that it's basically 97% of peak power from like 6500-8500rpms. That engine would be a freight train, even if it's down 35hp from a 550hp mill.

There is no such thing as "rpms". RPM stands for Revolutions Per Minute. "Rpms" would mean more than one minute and then of course we would need to know how many minutes you are talking about those revolutions occuring ;) Sorry, but it pains me to read "rpms".

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator

The boss cast onto the case for a potential direct mount shifter is too far forward. Great for delivery vans, etc, but not the S550 chassis. You're going to see another semi-remote shifter, presumably with a dual arm arrangement similar to what the GT500 used.

Lemers

Established Member
There is no such thing as "rpms". RPM stands for Revolutions Per Minute. "Rpms" would mean more than one minute and then of course we would need to know how many minutes you are talking about those revolutions occuring ;) Sorry, but it pains me to read "rpms".

And yet you and everyone else knows exactly what he was talking about.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
550+ stock would be great. That would put it well above any other NA domestic besides the Viper. I really want Ford to make a big hit with this engine.

Voltwings

Established Member
i imagine HP / L Would put it well ahead of the viper lol.

640 / 8.4 = 76.19 Hp/L
550 / 5.2 = 105.76 Hp/L

HOLLA! haha

SlowSVT

Established Member
It sounds like the 5.2 pistons will be riding on Plasma Transfer Wire Ark linerless cylinder boars :nonono: Will it come with PM rods and 100 mm bore spacing as well? Couple that with the problems Ford was having with harmonics with the FPC and I'm not feeling it with this engine in a boosted application.

Something tells me Ford is slowly writing the modder out of the picture to the point where the only updated you "should" do on the car is intake and exhaust leaving the rest alone. This is already happened to a degree with the 5.8 GT500 engine as not many are modding them anywhere near what 4.6 and 5.4 guys were doing.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
It sounds like the 5.2 pistons will be riding on Plasma Transfer Wire Ark linerless cylinder boars :nonono: Will it come with PM rods and 100 mm bore spacing as well? Couple that with the problems Ford was having with harmonics with the FPC and I'm not feeling it with this engine in a boosted application.

Something tells me Ford is slowly writing the modder out of the picture to the point where the only updated you "should" do on the car is intake and exhaust leaving the rest alone. This is already happened to a degree with the 5.8 GT500 engine as not many are modding them anywhere near what 4.6 and 5.4 guys were doing.

Ford has really never been more mod friendly that it is now. Your right in the terms thats the new 5.0, 5.2, 5.8L engines don't need as many mods and upgrades as the old 4.6, OHV 5.0 because engine technology has advanced drastically in the last quarter century. in 1990 it was nearly impossible to make a OHV 5.0 make 450rwhp+ N/A revving to 7500rpm and still be comfortable to drive every day on the streets without building a completely new motor that was atleast 347ci. Now the Coyotes makes it nothing more than some bolt ons. Ford has done their research on the 5.2L and wouldn't put it in a speciality car if it wasn't worth the trouble. 5.8L was a pretty stout engine from the factory and can handles lots of boost. Intake, pulley/blower, exhaust and you can crack 800 at the wheels. Ford overdeveloped many components to withstand the abuse of high power and mods.

The jury is still way out on how the 5.2 will respond to modifications and what effect it will have on the NVH of this engine. Naturally the FPC engine responds extremely well to exhaust modifications since most exhaust setups from the factory are severely held back by todays emission standards for car manufacturers. Example, the ferrari 458 engine typcially picks up 50-80rwhp from a full exhaust system. I would expect similar gains from this engine. Granted the 458 is 4.5L w/ DI and 12.5:1 in the base car. Rumor has it that the Voodoo 5.2 will have 12:1 CR and it will move more air per stroke since it is a bigger engine and will rev to around 8200rpm. Plus it should sound amazing with a full exhaust to boot. Again with having a FPC at 5.2L its going to come down to how well Ford can control and overcome vibrations and harmonic issues the FPC inherit. They know people will want to upgrade these cars with an all new power plant. I am sure JLT will make a killer intake kit. Down the line I would bet their will be head porting, upgraded cams, different intake manifods for the 5.2. Its going to be an awesome couple years coming up. A new flagship car is coming, Maybe something to success the GT500 in 2017, new raptors unveiling soon, the Focus RS is coming stateside. It's a great time for Ford right now. All of those cars listed above will have huge aftermarkets.

Users who are viewing this thread