Found a purse in the parking lot the other day....

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
I was at the liquor store about to pick myself up a pony keg of Bell's Two Hearted, when I saw a purse (wristlet actually) in the parking lot. I went in and gave it to the cashier without opening it first.

Turns out the purse had over $360 worth in cash in it. Now, personally I'd never be able to take the cash out and leave it there (couldn't live with the guilt), but honestly who loses a purse with that much money in it??? Turns out the cashier knew the girl and she was able to get it back. Ha, I think I should have got some free beer or something from the broad.

My question is, what would you have done? Opened the purse and found the cash and ditched the purse? Or turned it in?

Paul

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
I'd have left my number with the clerk in the store and returned it myself. I wouldn't trust the clerk not to pilfer it.

nighthawk756

Who? Me??
Established Member
I'd have left my number with the clerk in the store and returned it myself. I wouldn't trust the clerk not to pilfer it.

Exactly what I was thinking. Or called the cops so they could make a report and return it to her.

But you still did the right thing by not taking the money. :beer:

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
Exactly, better yet, see if there was a DL in the wallet and gone in and asked for a phone book or called 411.

chances are the clerk boosted the cash ...

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
My friend just lost his wallet yesterday (today is his 21st, so its been a huge headache) and I was just thinking about this topic. I would return the wallet to the local PD. Or if I was really close to his house I would take it there myself. I wouldn't take the money. If when I returned the wallet and the guy offered me a reward, it would depend on the situation whether I would take the reward.

If the guy is driving an 04 Cobra and GT500 and offers me (poor college kid) 100$ for not stealing the cash from his wallet I would take it. If on the other hand it was a single parent with 3 kids... they need the money more than I do.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
You did the right thing.

We had a guy at work (he's white named Scott) loose his, and a black woman called in and had found it wanting to return it.

So we (without Scott) met the lady (nice woman) and asked her to call Scott on his cell phone and give him a hard time. She did not want to but then said okay.

I almost wet my pants as she gave Scott a full black attitude, "How does a dumb white boy loose his wallet????!!!", or "You sound cute, I'll give you the wallet for some lovin".. "Where do you live, I want to stop by with some of my friends with 40 dogs in skirts". Very funny stuff.

She finally told Scott we put her up to it, and we were bringing in his wallet.

Eric

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
I lost my wallet about a year ago. It had $30 in it. It was mailed to my house with everything but the cash. That was cool with me. I didnt have to go through the trouble of getting all new cards and stuff...

99boltsvt

hey lady..wanna ride??
Established Member
Take the cash and run.....take the CC's and max 'em out on mod goodies!!!! No, No,...return it. I would hope someone would do the same for me!

Common

Established Member
I was at the liquor store about to pick myself up a pony keg of Bell's Two Hearted, when I saw a purse (wristlet actually) in the parking lot. I went in and gave it to the cashier without opening it first.

Turns out the purse had over $360 worth in cash in it. Now, personally I'd never be able to take the cash out and leave it there (couldn't live with the guilt), but honestly who loses a purse with that much money in it??? Turns out the cashier knew the girl and she was able to get it back. Ha, I think I should have got some free beer or something from the broad.

My question is, what would you have done? Opened the purse and found the cash and ditched the purse? Or turned it in?

Paul

You did the right thing the wrong way *potentially*.
Here is why, what if the girl working the register was low life scumbag and took the money and flip the blame on you. You should have checked for id or contact in the purse, call the lady owner of it, return it, get "rewarded" with a diner date then PIIHB.:thumbsup:

RedfireVNM

Ahnald, GET TO THE CHOPPA
Established Member
Screw that...I would DEFINATLY looked in and if I saw $360 in cash you can damn well bet I would have taken it...I lost my wallet twice, 1 time with $200 in it...the other with only $50...both times my wallet got jacked of cash and thrown in the street...only found the first one tho and had to wait another 2 weeks to get my new CC and Debit cards...

dooberGN

Established Member
Screw that...I would DEFINATLY looked in and if I saw $360 in cash you can damn well bet I would have taken it...I lost my wallet twice, 1 time with $200 in it...the other with only $50...both times my wallet got jacked of cash and thrown in the street...only found the first one tho and had to wait another 2 weeks to get my new CC and Debit cards...

I'm with you on this one, every time I lose my wallet I never get it back. One time my friend stopped over he wasn't planning on staying more then 15 minutes so he left his wallet and keys in the cup holder. Some douchebags stole his wallet and car and proceeded to burn the car to the ground in a field.

logan_yomtov

Established Member
i wouldn't checked for a drivers license and returned it personally. I don't think i'd trust the cashier. I imagine that $360 would be very tempting to someone working in customer service making minimum wage.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I lost my wallet about a year ago. It had $30 in it. It was mailed to my house with everything but the cash. That was cool with me. I didnt have to go through the trouble of getting all new cards and stuff...

That's pretty f-ed up. If it had a return addy, I would've tracked em down.

I found a cell phone once in the UMD parking lot after a soccer game. Called the number labeled 'home' and told the guy I'd drop his phone off at the UMCP police. I had to fill out a report though saying that I left it there.

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
I would have returned it without taking any money.

This just reminded me of something funny though. About 2 years ago me and some friends were in Duluth, Minnesota and we had just finished eating lunch at a Subway. So then we headed over to an arcade or something and one of my friends said "Shit I lost my wallet!" so I said that he probably just left it at Subway, and I went back with him while my other friends stayed at the arcade. We get to Subway and they gave him his wallet back and he started to count his money (we were on vacation so he had like $200) and he's like "I'm missing $20" and I just said "Ok, well they might have taken it, but it's only $20 and they could have taken all of it" and my friend just gets pissed and starts yelling at the people working at the Subway who found his wallet demanding that they give him his $20 back, and then he starts recounting his money and goes "Ummm, sorry but I miscounted, all my money is here" and then the person behind the counter just stares at him and goes "F%$K YOU!" and we just left lol.

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
Exactly, better yet, see if there was a DL in the wallet and gone in and asked for a phone book or called 411.

chances are the clerk boosted the cash ...

WRONG! College town, everyone knows everyone! By the time I left the store the girl was already back to get it...

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread