Formula Firebird?

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by coopz06
I had an 89 firebird formula in high school. It had the 350 with tuned port injection 235HP with an automatic. It ran the quarter just under 15 seconds. Ask about the year of the car.

Aww... not an 89 Turbo Trans-Am with the Buick LC2?? :D

03CrazyHorse

Just a GT with stickers..
Established Member
Sorry it took so long for me to reply...
my car is stock except for a Tri-ax
his car is either 00 or 01 with no mods.
there is no money at stake so im gonna race him anyway , thanks for all the feedback. now i atleast i know what im going up against

LeadSled1

Established Member
I would run him from a stop. Although the ETs are similar between the two the LS1 usually traps more. My 01 WS6 just went 13.41 @ 109.46 on a 2.3 60' stock for comparison.

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
I think if you can get it out of the hole which will be his weak point you will be right there at the end. If he gets out of the hole within a car length of you I think he will run you down. Overall unless something goes wrong each car will be with in a lentgh of one another.

Ryan00TJ

Established Member
If he's totally stock including the exhaust and baffled lid it should be whoever is the better driver down the 1320 ft. After that he will start to pull slightly.

JaketheSnake

roll race? where?
Established Member
i ran a 13.5 stock in my WS6 in September Florida weather, the formlas weigh less and if its an LS1 it will probably eat you up, I cant believe people dont know what a formula is!!

Black04Lightning

I ATE YOUR HEMI FOR LUNCH
Established Member
East Bay Area - Pleasant Hill - California
i raced a 2000 firebird formula with a 6 speed , from about 20 mph going up the onramp Hwy 680 at Willow Pass rd all the way to 135 mph , it was a dead even DRAW,,

2003 Mach 1, 5 speed stock with a K&N and the air filter housing silencer tube removed,,,:beer:

jleews6

Established Member
If its a 6 speed dont go from a roll. If he is a good driver I wouldnt race for money.My 01 T/A went a 13.1 @109.9 and I only had it for a week.With some practice a good running ls can run in the 12s @ 110+

either way= good luck:beer:

skylinegtr

For Sale
Established Member
i have raced a formula i think in the 2001 range, i got off the line better he closed a little then it was a steady walk away from him.

we met up at the next mc d's he said all he had done was a cai and exhaust,

i thought the formula cam e with a upgraded exhaust?

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by skylinegtr
i have raced a formula i think in the 2001 range, i got off the line better he closed a little then it was a steady walk away from him.

we met up at the next mc d's he said all he had done was a cai and exhaust,

i thought the formula cam e with a upgraded exhaust?

Formula is like... the T/A with less bells and whistles, thats the only difference. I think, as far as the LS1 equipped Firebirds went, the car that would have been the best idea to get your hands on would have been a Formula with the ram air option, they were rated the same as the T/A ram air, but the formula had about a 100lbs weight advantage.

Last edited:

Kenny H

Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
Formula is like... the T/A with less bells and whistles, thats the only difference. I think, as far as the LS1 equipped Firebirds went, the car that would have been the best idea to get your hands on would have been a Formula with the ram air option, they were rated the same as the T/A ram air, but the formula had about a 100lbs weight advantage.

The difference is actually closer to 50 lbs....

Owning a Formula is great. Before I changed the hood and got wheels, it was very tame looking with the OEM plain-jane painted 5 spoke 16 x 8s. With my cut-out capped, the car looked and sounded like nothing. That was fun.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Kenny H
The difference is actually closer to 50 lbs....

Owning a Formula is great. Before I changed the hood and got wheels, it was very tame looking with the OEM plain-jane painted 5 spoke 16 x 8s. With my cut-out capped, the car looked and sounded like nothing. That was fun.

Thats what my friend justin is planning on doing with his (98 formula also). The funnest part about it is, since alot of people dont realize what the Formula is, alot of em write it off as a V6 at first glance. hehehe :rolling:

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by ralphy1798
99 and newer are LT1's right?

98 and newer are LS1's. 93's - 97's were LT1's. Thats for the F-bodies though...

The Corvette got the LT1 in 92, and the LS1 in 97. If your curious, before the LT1 was the L98 which was officially introduced in 84 I beleive (but I think there is "1" 83 Corvette (C4) that exsists which is located at the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green Kentucky which would have had the L98 I beleive.

Last edited:

4.6 Love

Established Member
Maybe its a black bird!...;-)....btw are there any black bird owner here....just in case you don't know...thats one mean ass ls1!...:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread