Formula Firebird?

03CrazyHorse

Just a GT with stickers..
Established Member
when i got my Mach there was a kid with a Formula Firebird that said he would own me, what is a Formula Firebird and how would it stack up against my car?

WDW MKR

Established Member
Firebird Formula is the plain-jane TransAm. Stock LS1s and stock Machs seems to be running pretty even times. If you're both stock, I'd call it a driver's race.

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
It is the equal to my car. Hp depends on the year. Stock it will run 14.0-14.5 depending on traction and driver. Mine with an auto and the lowest hp rating ran 14.2 in stock form. Cai, gear, nittos, and chip puts me at 13.7. Not quite enough for a mach. Mind I edged out a new one from a dig but got owned from a roll. This tells me that my win was not really a win if you know what I mean. Most guys that are cocky like that usually have some hidden N20 so caution yourself. If he has any more than that or is a newer year it will be close.

I'm just giving you precautionary measures. Drive the S out of it and care less win or lose. If big money is on the line don't do it.

03CobraBro

Established Member
My friend has a 98 LS1 Firebird Formula A4. Im not very impressed at all to say the least. But I will say though, I think something is wrong with his, that thing doesnt feel like it pulls any harder than my R/T but when I ride in my aunts 99 T/A it feels like it could rip off a mid 13 second E/T fairly easily (both cars are stock btw).

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by scsaleen
If your car is stock and he's any kind of driver you will lose.

That works both ways with both cars being capable of mid to low 13's stock (providing were talking about manual tranny equipped cars here)

Last edited:

quik cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
That works both ways with both cars being capable of mid to low 13's stock (providing were talking about manual tranny equipped cars here)

To get a low 13 out of a Mach 1 you have to be a very good driver, I thought, but I guess it goes the same if it's an LS1. If they go from a roll I think the Mach will get walked.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by scsaleen
To get a low 13 out of a Mach 1 you have to be a very good driver, I thought, but I guess it goes the same if it's an LS1. If they go from a roll I think the Mach will get walked.

The Mach1 5-speeds average mid to low 13's stock. Maybe your thinking about the auto Machs?

As far as a roll is concerned I dont know... I'd figure the mach1 should still be able to hold its own from a roll though, concidering top end is the DOHC 4.6'es strong point.

Last edited:

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
We are all making assumptions about the car. He never said what year. They made that model from 93-02. Could be anywhere from a mid 14 second car to 11 sec car.

But I believe a mach would do rather well against any model in stock form.

ramairfreak98ss

Established Member
a guy that goes to philly street races with some of our gtps, runs 13.3@104mph with just a $99 air lid on his 99 formula automatic....I have a bunch of mods, and from 60 or 70mph to 110mph i pull maybe a car on him. Hes gotten 13.7s@103mph stock with his car before he could "really drive". I know some of your mach 1s run low 13s day and night and others seem to only run 13.7s at best stock. I would ASSUME a mach 1 up top would pull a tad on a ls1, but dont know if you could match their downlow torque stock to stock. Race and see what happens... I have a bunch of videos that will probably be posted soon. Also getting raped by a 12.5@113mph Ws6 lol.

coopz06

Established Member
I had an 89 firebird formula in high school. It had the 350 with tuned port injection 235HP with an automatic. It ran the quarter just under 15 seconds. Ask about the year of the car.

04HillzGT

Established Member
my buddy has a 97 formula firebired, we're pretty much even he's at 275 at crank stock, I have a new GT with magnaflows it's a driver's race bring your A game and you could get him if he's not hiding any sneaky surprises under the hook

quik cobra

Established Member
Ah hell, that what I thought he was talking about, but it isn't. Oh well I'll just blame it on the beer. Rcae get a video and all the argueing will be over with.

SouthFL.02.SS

Established Member
Originally posted by 03miamisnake
make sure its not a firehawk.

"Firehawk" made a big difference in an LT-1 with the LT-4 heads.
On an LS-1, "Firehawk" didn't make it all that much meaner.

Miamisnake, do you hang out at Fudd's on Monday nights with the Stangs? I was there last night.

Users who are viewing this thread