Formula 1 V6 turbo

GhostRiderblk

GhostRider
Established Member
always wanted to be a formula 1 driver but ill sit back and watch. I seem to know little to nothing on the technology in these cars now a days. i think the rules are getting ridicules guess it makes it a challenge

[youtube_browser]A-Bb9KkQwKM[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

chao5.0

Established Member
I can deal with the changes but I wish they would either have just the fuel flow limit or just the rpm limit, having both is dumb because the teams already can't get to the 15,000 max rpm limit because the fuel limit will be exceeded by then and they don't make any more power by going that high. even Mercedes is only going to 11,000 to 12,000 rpm before shifting.

GhostRiderblk

GhostRider
Established Member
I can deal with the changes but I wish they would either have just the fuel flow limit or just the rpm limit, having both is dumb because the teams already can't get to the 15,000 max rpm limit because the fuel limit will be exceeded by then and they don't make any more power by going that high. even Mercedes is only going to 11,000 to 12,000 rpm before shifting.

Yeah I really think making a motor more fuel efficient is something that can be done to take advantage of a race less fuel ups means more track time. Shouldn't be a rule of fuel limits. And the Rev limit may be a safety thing not sure
Un hook the restraints and let them run head to head. Compete all around not around rules.. guess I'm just old school

chao5.0

Established Member
Wasn't this car a 1.5L v6 as well?

[video=youtube;YbKgW-gX7SI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbKgW-gX7SI[/video]

yes but back then they were turning close to 20k rpm, today they turn 11k because they don't make power above that with the fuel flow limits.

the only reason F1 limits the engine rpm is for durability reasons, if left unchecked those engineers would've been turning last years V8's 20k+ rpm instead of the limited 18k. would love to see the fuel flow limits lifted and just keep the 15k rpm limit for the current cars.

Coiled03

Established Member
would love to see the fuel flow limits lifted and just keep the 15k rpm limit for the current cars.

Likely never gonna happen. They're too interested in appearing to be a "green" series, now.

football76

Established Member
Likely never gonna happen. They're too interested in appearing to be a "green" series, now.

Which is sad considering that Formula E will be starting next month... Agree that the fuel flow limit is lame. I miss the roaring engines of F1 past.

I'm a big F1 fan, this year has been interesting enough but often for different reasons.

chao5.0

Established Member

I know, its a shame too. what I hate the most though is them trying to "trick" out the car with titanium blocks under the chassis to create sparks to spark interest like back in the 80's or different exhaust to get the sound back. I do miss the sound of the old cars but I don't hate the new sound, just build a purpose built race car and run it as is, no tricks.

Coiled03

Established Member
Which is sad considering that Formula E will be starting next month... Agree that the fuel flow limit is lame. I miss the roaring engines of F1 past.

I'm a big F1 fan, this year has been interesting enough but often for different reasons.

Yeah, I'm a huge F1 fan myself, which is a lonely thing to be on this site, :lol:. Personally, I'd prefer there not be an engine formula, rather they allow teams to do what they want again. I liked the variety of V-8, V-10, and V-12. But that's even less likely than removing the fuel limit as the already ridiculous costs would go even higher.

I know, its a shame too. what I hate the most though is them trying to "trick" out the car with titanium blocks under the chassis to create sparks to spark interest like back in the 80's or different exhaust to get the sound back. I do miss the sound of the old cars but I don't hate the new sound, just build a purpose built race car and run it as is, no tricks.

Those titanium plates aren't there to spark interest, they're to maintain minimum ride height. If they're worn past a certain point, the car will fail post race inspection.

They really did drop the ball on the sound of the new engines. I think they completely underestimated both how much fans like the sound, and how much the new turbos would mute it.

chao5.0

Established Member
Yeah, I'm a huge F1 fan myself, which is a lonely thing to be on this site, :lol:. Personally, I'd prefer there not be an engine formula, rather they allow teams to do what they want again. I liked the variety of V-8, V-10, and V-12. But that's even less likely than removing the fuel limit as the already ridiculous costs would go even higher.

Those titanium plates aren't there to spark interest, they're to maintain minimum ride height. If they're worn past a certain point, the car will fail post race inspection.

They really did drop the ball on the sound of the new engines. I think they completely underestimated both how much fans like the sound, and how much the new turbos would mute it.

from what I've read and heard the blocks they installed earlier in the year were to bring back the sparks, not the plates but the blocks that Rosberg had on his car for a race in china or Malaysia. that and they tried the megaphone exhaust before that to recreate the sound.

I think there are a few F1 fans on the board, but not like the other sports, F1 isn't the easiest sport to follow nor understand because of the way the rules are.

awful knawful

Established Member
The new rules are to entice engine/ auto manufactures into F1. So they are able to use what they learn in F1 to make more reliable, smaller, more powerful and more fuel efficient engines for consumers.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member

He's not talking about the plank. They tested titanium blocks added to the underside of the car during P1 in Austria in an attempt to bring some of the entertainment value of the 80's back. It was a proposal put forward to run next season.

I don't get the huge fuss about the exhaust note. Everyone lost their minds when they went from V10 to V8, and now everyone wants the V8's back instead of the V6 sound. I didn't really care for the V6 note at first, but you get used to it and it grows on you.

Personally, if they really want to bring back exciting racing, they should allow for in race re-fueling again. Think about what that could do to mix up the strategies for different cars, especially on higher degredation tires...

Users who are viewing this thread