Former colleague finishes 60 day all-potato diet tonight!

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
I knew Chris when he worked for CPAC here in Colorado a few years back. He has since moved to Washington and did this diet to educate some that want to limit the use of potatoes in sponsored school meals. Cliffs of the article is that he lost 21 lbs and his cholesterol dropped by 67 points.

Congrats on lasting 60 days Chris!

http://www.20potatoesaday.com/ I don't have facebook but someone can link it in this thread it might give more info

Man Sheds 21 Pounds on All-Potato Diet - FoxNews.com

Last edited:

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
I bet he's weak as shit without any protein.

Protien level pre-diet = 7.0 g/dl
Protien level post-diet = 7.1 g/dl

Diet Facts
A person my height and weight needs to consume 2200 calories a day just to maintain my weight. An average potato (5.3 oz) contains 110 calories. I'll need to eat 20 potatoes a day to maintatin my weight. Below is an example of the nutrients I'll be getting from my 20 potatoes a day...
Vitamin C 942%
Vitamin B6 423%
Potassium 345%
Dietary Fiber 252%
Manganese 220%
Magnesium 165%
Phosphorus 164%
Copper 155%
Thiamin 153%
Niacin 151%
Iron 124%
Protein 116%
Folate 115%
Pantothenic Acid 85%
Vitamin K 68%
Zinc 55%
Riboflavin 54%
Calcium 34%
Selenium 12%
Vitamin E 1%
Vitamin A 1%

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
There is also a guy that lost 20 pounds just eating twinkies and his health markers(blood, cholesterol, ect.) all went down and is in a healthy range.

This proves that in order to lose WEIGHT its all about the calorie content and eating less than your resting metabolic rate. Now if he cared about the way his body looked he would have had to add some more protein to his diet and do some sort of resistance training.

Schools should not limit potato consumption but limit the amount of fried foods they serve

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I knew Chris when he worked for CPAC here in Colorado a few years back. He has since moved to Washington and did this diet to educate some that want to limit the use of potatoes in sponsored school meals. Cliffs of the article is that he lost 21 lbs and his cholesterol dropped by 67 points.

Congrats on lasting 60 days Chris!

Home I don't have facebook but someone can link it in this thread it might give more info

Man Sheds 21 Pounds on All-Potato Diet - FoxNews.com

Nice!

I have to say though..

I'm the Executive Director of the Washington State Potato Commission

That's going to make a lot of people think the results were skewed. Was he running a marathon 3X a week along with those 20 potatoes a day to lose 21lbs? :p

I think it's ridiculous people want to limit potato consumption in schools though. There is nothing wrong with potatoes in a healthy diet, (as long as they aren't deep fried french fries!).

Last edited:

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
I don't think he was trying to lose weight. He was eating 20 potatoes because a 5 oz potato only has 110 calories. He had to eat 20 to get his daily value of calories. I think he was just doing it to show the nutritional value of the potato.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
There is also a guy that lost 20 pounds just eating twinkies and his health markers(blood, cholesterol, ect.) all went down and is in a healthy range.

This proves that in order to lose WEIGHT its all about the calorie content and eating less than your resting metabolic rate. Now if he cared about the way his body looked he would have had to add some more protein to his diet and do some sort of resistance training.

Schools should not limit potato consumption but limit the amount of fried foods they serve

A piece of an article written about Professor Haub:

"Two-thirds of his total intake came from junk food. He also took a multivitamin pill and drank a protein shake daily. And he ate vegetables, typically a can of green beans or three to four celery stalks."

I think Voigts diet is considerably different as he was getting all his nutrition from a single source.

You are correct about calories in vs. calories out is how to lose weight but I don't think losing weight was his goal.

KurtDog

Established Member
Nice!

I have to say though..

That's going to make a lot of people think the results were skewed. Was he running a marathon 3X a week along with those 20 potatoes a day to lose 21lbs? :p

I think it's ridiculous people want to limit potato consumption in schools though. There is nothing wrong with potatoes in a healthy diet, (as long as they aren't deep fried french fries!).

I believe this was a stunt to get white potatoes back on the accepted food list for food stamps?

LS2GTO

Established Member
He was eating 20 potatoes because a 5 oz potato only has 110 calories

So if he was eating 20 potatoes a day in order to match his caloric intake of 2200/day, then how the hell did he lose 21 lbs in 60 days? I thought the whole point of weight loss is to eat less calories than you need?

If he lost 21 lbs that = 73,500 calories over a span of 60 days = 1,225 calories per day that he cut below his metabolic rate.

So he did A LOT of running each day to cut over 1,000 calories a day...so his weight loss wasn't because of the potatoes.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
So if he was eating 20 potatoes a day in order to match his caloric intake of 2200/day, then how the hell did he lose 21 lbs in 60 days? I thought the whole point of weight loss is to eat less calories than you need?

If he lost 21 lbs that = 73,500 calories over a span of 60 days = 1,225 calories per day that he cut below his metabolic rate.

So he did A LOT of running each day to cut over 1,000 calories a day...so his weight loss wasn't because of the potatoes.

He said it took him a while to actually get 2200 calories intake from the potatoes. I don't know why he lost his weight. That wasn't the point. The links are in my first post if you want to take a few minutes and read. He has a blog and videos that will probably answer all your questions.

LS2GTO

Established Member
Yeah I know it wasn't the point to lose weight, but the FoxNews article mentions significant weight loss and bases that on the potato diet...which is innacurate since it wasn't really the potato diet that did it...it was other factors.

People are gonna now go on a ~2000 calorie all potato diet and expect to lose 10 lbs a month without doing anything else and will be severely dissapointed when they don't lose the same amount of weight as he did and then call his diet a hoax.

Users who are viewing this thread