Forged Internals Question/Eaton Swap

Ebrunott

Established Member
My car is awaiting doing an eaton swap when I get back from this deployment (not too long now) and I was thinking about actually going ahead and forging my rods, pistons, and getting good rings/studs too. My question is this:

Do I have to stroke/bore out my cylinders when I put new pistons in, and can someone point me in the right direction of a good piston/rod set-up for less than $2000?:??:

Thanks guys.

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
Depending what the cylinders look like will depend on if it needs to be bore to 10 or 20 over. They say not to go over 20 over on these blocks. If its running fine now then your probably fine with stock bore pistons. Sounds like your best bet is to take the long block somewhere and have them build your motor for you. Manley has good rods. Not sure on pistons. Ebay has some of the best prices i have found btw:beer: Stoking it will add some $ to the rebuild but isnt needed either.

Last edited:

Wheelie151

Established Member
Boss 302 rods handle serious power and direct swap into these engines , only cost you about $175. Contact Tousley ford. I just ordered my set from them.

Wheelie151

Established Member
302 CRANK-RODS-PISTONS KIT

So are you guys saying something like this? I feel like that should be plenty strong enough for the power i plan to make.

Also if i were to get this kit, what kind of block work would i need?

i just picked up a teksid block from a 96 cobra and a forged crank with a ton of other stuff for $300

Last edited:

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
302 CRANK-RODS-PISTONS KIT

So are you guys saying something like this? I feel like that should be plenty strong enough for the power i plan to make.

Also if i were to get this kit, what kind of block work would i need?

That looks like its for a pushrod 302 not a mod motor. Your not goin to be able to buy a kit. Goin to have to piece it together.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Cylinders don't get "stroked", they get "bored." Furthermore, they should be bored whenever you replace the pistons.

Your stock crank is good for as much power as you can throw at it so keep it. However, if you want to add cubic inches you get a crank with a longer stroker (3.75" or 3.8") but one will require non-stock length rods.

Studs aren't needed and provide no benefit other than lightening your wallet until the power level gets beyond that of what an Eaton can provide.

Ebrunott

Established Member
I guess my follow up question would be, are those boss rods going to be a direct fit, or will anything need to change to put them in? Also other than manley anyone know of any good suppliers of pistons?

Wheelie151

Established Member
I guess my follow up question would be, are those boss rods going to be a direct fit, or will anything need to change to put them in? Also other than manley anyone know of any good suppliers of pistons?

There are lots of good pistons just google aftermarket pistons. As far as the boss rods yes they will direct swap unless you are doing a stroker kit then they will not.

4v_mach1

Established Member
Honestly those factory boss 302 rods are pretty dirt cheap & durable. But you can't go wrong with manley.. those are my 2 choices at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread