forged block

collibr1

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Name one? Aside from John Mihovetz who builds a handful of chosen motors per year, no one else compares.
Al owns the quickest/fastest N/A DOHC 5.4L in the country (at 3450lbs no less), and has built Bob Cosby's FS 4.6 championship motor, Jeff Schnell's FS 4.6, Carlos Sabrina's FS 4.6, Christina Elder's turbo 4v, two pump gas 900-1000rwhp TT 5.4L GT motors, my N/A monster, MD's Pure Street 4.6, and does the motors for UPR/LaMotta's among others. Of the 50 plus modular motors he built last year (including the race only motors) not one has broken or come back for any kind of mechanical defect--try and find another engine builder with a track record like that. Prior to Mustang's he built $50,000 a pop, 1.5L, 500HP, N/A, 13,500rpm, SOHC 2v pro stock bike motors. He's wrenched on everything from F1 motors, alcohol funny cars, and ultra rare exotics to work vans. Sorry, you aren't going to find anyone with near the experience as Al with regard to anything internal combustion.
MP has the quickest/fastest N/A Modular in existance with either their 305 or 358 Modular big bores, and Shawn Johnson's MP built FS motor allowed his 3325lb FS 4v 99 Cobra to run 121mph in the quarter. That's 370rwhp from stock unported H/C/I and shorty's.
Who's your builder of choice, and what has he done?

And by the way, one of the shops that you mentioned( I won't openly name any names) above I had work on one of my cars. Needless to say I would never let them touch one of my cars again. In short I had them do some work in stall some new parts, pick up the car, get half way home and the car over heats. Get the car home, open the radiator and it looks like mud. Call the shop talk to them and they act as if it was running perfect for them. So basically I’m stuck flushing out the coolant system(4 times) to get it all clean. Who fills a car with dirty water or does not rinse off new parts that are going to have coolant running through them.

Fourcam330

Established Member
collibr1 said:
Nobody is dicreciting Al Papitto or Modular Performance by anymeans, but to say “You won't find better Modular engine builders” is a matter of opinion, your opinion. In my opinion and obvisily a few others on this board would say that Modular Powerhouse is of equal quality. Just ask B.C about his TT terror that they have built; there is video of it in the Pic/Video section. Or ask Jim Fitz, whos daily driver which has the capabilities to run in the 9’s in the ¼. Or Dave Lewis who has the “Worlds fastest positive displacement 2V Mod Motor", which is driven almost daily. Or why their stage3 2V heads(248/225) flow more than anyone else’s the I have seen. We could spit facts back and forth, but like I said I would put one of their motors against one of yours (built of equal purpose) any day of the week. Give it time you will start hear more and more about them. :thumbsup:

Actually, judging by the facts regarding their engine building abilities/expertise, I really don't think my statement was a matter of opinion. Engine builders are judged by their motors, and by comparison, you haven't shown me anything.
What criteria are you basing your claims of equal quality on? Three cars, and one set of flow #s??? Have you torn down one of Al's motors and performed a side by side comparison, or perhaps conducted some other kind of valid comparison? :nono: To make such a frivolous claim is not only unrealistic, it's flat out dumb.
Anyone can make power with forced induction, have they built anything worth mentioning N/A wise? How many of their FI cars run in the 8s or quicker?
Also, for the hundredth time, flowbench #s don't mean shit. Do you want the heads to make killer flow numbers, or killer power? I'd love to see their 2v heads on a N/A motor, LOL. The right engine builder can kick the shit out of a 340cfm head with one that flows 270cfm at the same lift.
We'll see if Modular Powerhouse is even around in a year.

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
collibr1 said:
And by the way, one of the shops that you mentioned( I won't openly name any names) above I had work on one of my cars. Needless to say I would never let them touch one of my cars again. In short I had them do some work in stall some new parts, pick up the car, get half way home and the car over heats. Get the car home, open the radiator and it looks like mud. Call the shop talk to them and they act as if it was running perfect for them. So basically I’m stuck flushing out the coolant system(4 times) to get it all clean. Who fills a car with dirty water or does not rinse off new parts that are going to have coolant running through them.

That's convenient :shrug: Seeing that you're from FL, I'm going to assume that you think Al put dirty water in your motor??? LOL, even if he did build the motor (and there's a really good chance he didn't) it's up to the shop that subcontracts the engines out to him, to reinstall the motor, and fill it with fluids. Nice try though ;-)

Last edited:

collibr1

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Actually, judging by the facts regarding their engine building abilities/expertise, I really don't think my statement was a matter of opinion. Engine builders are judged by their motors, and by comparison, you haven't shown me anything.
What criteria are you basing your claims of equal quality on? Three cars, and one set of flow #s??? Have you torn down one of Al's motors and performed a side by side comparison, or perhaps conducted some other kind of valid comparison? :nono: To make such a frivolous claim is not only unrealistic, it's flat out dumb.
Anyone can make power with forced induction, have they built anything worth mentioning N/A wise? How many of their FI cars run in the 8s or quicker?
Also, for the hundredth time, flowbench #s don't mean shit. Do you want the heads to make killer flow numbers, or killer power? I'd love to see their 2v heads on a N/A motor, LOL. The right engine builder can kick the shit out of a 340cfm head with one that flows 270cfm at the same lift.
We'll see if Modular Powerhouse is even around in a year.

First off I think that your taking it offensively that there is someone else out there that can build a high quality motor. “Flowbench #s don't mean shit” , interesting. I guess a dyno is just used to spit out number. To me if someone drives to the track, lays down a 9 or 10 second pass and then drives home, thats quality. If engine builder A makes a motor that puts out 1000hp and is reliable and engine builder B does the same which one is better? It’s a matter of opinion. I think MPH will be around for a while.

As for your other post. Al Papitto had nothing whatsoever to do with the work that the other shop preformed. I just wanted to make that clear.

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
collibr1 said:
First off I think that your taking it offensively that there is someone else out there that can build a high quality motor. “Flowbench #s don't mean shit” , interesting. I guess a dyno is just used to spit out number. To me if someone drives to the track, lays down a 9 or 10 second pass and then drives home, thats quality. If engine builder A makes a motor that puts out 1000hp and is reliable and engine builder B does the same which one is better? It’s a matter of opinion. I think MPH will be around for a while.

As for your other post. Al Papitto had nothing whatsoever to do with the work that the other shop preformed. I just wanted to make that clear.

I'm not taking it personally, just pointing out the flaws in your logic. You're missing the point. ModPowerhouse hasn't been around long enough or built enough successful examples to be considered on the same level as the other two. Time will tell.
Not trying to be an ass, but your comment about high flow #s shows exactly how much you know about them :shrug:

Last edited:

collibr1

Established Member
Im not missing your point. You just won't give credit to anybody esle except people you mention. Time will tell, according to you you don't think that is going to happen.

I remember when everyone was calling BS on Michael Kidds car. Not so much BS anymore huh.

longrodLX

Established Member
fourcam330 couldnt be more correct about the flow #s. just from experience with pushrod motors someone in town went really big on a 306 and made horrible #s NA. with nitrous he did alright but i would rather have a strong NA and strong nitrous car.

but what about modular mustang racing......looked to me like they built good motors. CHP built me a perfect 347 and i experienced excellent customer service. i have heard bad stuff about DSS and X2C.

modularfordpowerhouse builds some kick ass cars and Tim is a awesome tuner from what i have seen but i dont see the power coming from the motors. more or less the tune

Fourcam330

Established Member
longrodLX said:
fourcam330 couldnt be more correct about the flow #s. just from experience with pushrod motors someone in town went really big on a 306 and made horrible #s NA. with nitrous he did alright but i would rather have a strong NA and strong nitrous car.

but what about modular mustang racing......looked to me like they built good motors. CHP built me a perfect 347 and i experienced excellent customer service. i have heard bad stuff about DSS and X2C.

modularfordpowerhouse builds some kick ass cars and Tim is a awesome tuner from what i have seen but i dont see the power coming from the motors. more or less the tune

I've heard some bad things about MMR, CHP, and DSS with regard to Modular motors only, not Windsors.

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
collibr1 said:
Im not missing your point. You just won't give credit to anybody esle except people you mention. Time will tell, according to you you don't think that is going to happen.

I remember when everyone was calling BS on Michael Kidds car. Not so much BS anymore huh.

LOL, time will tell either way, meaning they will either sink or swim. If you want I can break that down for you? I never called BS on Michael Kidd or his car, LOL, I don't have a clue who that is.

Last edited:

longrodLX

Established Member
what exactly did you hear about MMR? could you pm me please because i was going to get my short block from them. how much would i be looking to pay for a 700hp worthy block from modular performance?

thanks

collibr1

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
LOL, time will tell either way. If you want I can break that down for you? I never called BS on Michael Kidd or his car, LOL, I don't have a clue who that is.

Simple minds I love it.

Fourcam330

Established Member
collibr1 said:
Simple minds I love it.

Get back to me when they build something of significance, not just another forced induction car. The botom line is, you can either have "the best" or "everyone else" build your motor, why take a gamble especially since the rates are comparable.

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
longrodLX said:
what exactly did you hear about MMR? could you pm me please because i was going to get my short block from them. how much would i be looking to pay for a 700hp worthy block from modular performance?

thanks

PM OTW.

collibr1

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Get back to me when they build something of significance, not just another forced induction car. The botom line is, you can either have "the best" or "everyone else" build your motor, why take a gamble especially since the rates are comparable.

LOL! Whats the difference? Will you actually care or even give credit? Since they are not "The Best".

Fourcam330

Established Member
collibr1 said:
LOL! Whats the difference? Will you actually care or even give credit? Since they are not "The Best".

In order to be the best, you have to beat the best. To my knowledge they haven't even come close yet.

jojotireman

[modularfordpowerhouse builds some kick ass cars and Tim is a awesome tuner from what i have seen but i dont see the power coming from the motors. more or less the tune[/QUOTE]

OMG, dont see the power from the motors, WTF, 600RWHP on stock heads and stock intake, GI Joes car, BC's TT Car, Micheal Kidds old car won king of the street in this months 5.0 Mag, numerouse 600RWHP street cars and they havent lost a stock block to boost yet. I dont think it gets better than that. I had my motor built there last november and the first time at the track I snap both axles, Wheres the Torque :bash: Theres the power do you see it now :loser:

longrodLX

Established Member
stock heads stock intake i know they are making a lot of power but if it is stock heads stock intake then wear is the power coming from.......power adder and an awesome tune

Fourcam330

Established Member
longrodLX said:
stock heads stock intake i know they are making a lot of power but if it is stock heads stock intake then wear is the power coming from.......power adder and an awesome tune

As stated power adder can mask deficiencies in any motor. I'd wager that MHPs killer blower parts wouldn't make diddly squat for power in N/A form.

Users who are viewing this thread