forged block

ravenater23

i have a 2001 mustang gt and im looking into twin turbo charging it. I got a birthday in may and my girlfriend told me that she would buy me a forged block for my mustang gt. My only question is what is a good kind to get and what can of horsepower numbers will i be able to hold with it.

ravenater23

i have saw some places on the net that alrdy has the forged pistons and rods and cobra in them i was just wondering what is the best company for this kind of work

Fourcam330

Established Member
You won't find better Modular engine builders than Al Papitto (www.boss330racing.com) or Modular Performance (www.modularperformance.com). They both charge $350-400 in labor to assemble a shortblock, the rest is parts, and balancing the rotating assembly.
Whatever you do stay the hell away from bulk shortblock suppliers like DSS, CHP, etc. You may save a couple of hundred intially, but that will pale in comparison to them laughing at you when you try to return the pile of shit in a matter of weeks.

Last edited:

Jman20427

Die Rise
Established Member
Ill have to go against the crowd and suggest VT engines, I think they are the best. Great customer satisfaction, and they all know what they are talking about

Fourcam330

Established Member
collibr1 said:
I'll take that bet.

Name one? Aside from John Mihovetz who builds a handful of chosen motors per year, no one else compares.
Al owns the quickest/fastest N/A DOHC 5.4L in the country (at 3450lbs no less), and has built Bob Cosby's FS 4.6 championship motor, Jeff Schnell's FS 4.6, Carlos Sabrina's FS 4.6, Christina Elder's turbo 4v, two pump gas 900-1000rwhp TT 5.4L GT motors, my N/A monster, MD's Pure Street 4.6, and does the motors for UPR/LaMotta's among others. Of the 50 plus modular motors he built last year (including the race only motors) not one has broken or come back for any kind of mechanical defect--try and find another engine builder with a track record like that. Prior to Mustang's he built $50,000 a pop, 1.5L, 500HP, N/A, 13,500rpm, SOHC 2v pro stock bike motors. He's wrenched on everything from F1 motors, alcohol funny cars, and ultra rare exotics to work vans. Sorry, you aren't going to find anyone with near the experience as Al with regard to anything internal combustion.
MP has the quickest/fastest N/A Modular in existance with either their 305 or 358 Modular big bores, and Shawn Johnson's MP built FS motor allowed his 3325lb FS 4v 99 Cobra to run 121mph in the quarter. That's 370rwhp from stock unported H/C/I and shorty's.
Who's your builder of choice, and what has he done?

Last edited:

collibr1

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Name one? Aside from John Mihovetz who builds a handful of chosen motors per year, no one else compares.
Al owns the quickest/fastest N/A DOHC 5.4L in the country (at 3450lbs no less), and has built Bob Cosby's FS 4.6 championship motor, Jeff Schnell's FS 4.6, Carlos Sabrina's FS 4.6, Christina Elder's turbo 4v, two pump gas 900-1000rwhp TT 5.4L GT motors, my N/A monster, MD's Pure Street 4.6, and does the motors for UPR/LaMotta's among others. Of the 50 plus modular motors he built last year (including the race only motors) not one has broken or come back for any kind of mechanical defect--try and find another engine builder with a track record like that. Prior to Mustang's he built $50,000 a pop, 1.5L, 500HP, N/A, 13,500rpm, SOHC 2v pro stock bike motors. He's wrenched on everything from F1 motors, alcohol funny cars, and ultra rare exotics to work vans. Sorry, you aren't going to find anyone with near the experience as Al with regard to anything internal combustion.
MP has the quickest/fastest N/A Modular in existance with either their 305 or 358 Modular big bores, and Shawn Johnson's MP built FS motor allowed his 3325lb FS 4v 99 Cobra to run 121mph in the quarter. That's 370rwhp from stock unported H/C/I and shorty's.
Who's your builder of choice, and what has he done?

Nobody is dicreciting Al Papitto or Modular Performance by anymeans, but to say “You won't find better Modular engine builders” is a matter of opinion, your opinion. In my opinion and obvisily a few others on this board would say that Modular Powerhouse is of equal quality. Just ask B.C about his TT terror that they have built; there is video of it in the Pic/Video section. Or ask Jim Fitz, whos daily driver which has the capabilities to run in the 9’s in the ¼. Or Dave Lewis who has the “Worlds fastest positive displacement 2V Mod Motor", which is driven almost daily. Or why their stage3 2V heads(248/225) flow more than anyone else’s the I have seen. We could spit facts back and forth, but like I said I would put one of their motors against one of yours (built of equal purpose) any day of the week. Give it time you will start hear more and more about them. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread