Ford Won't Replace My Tranny!!!!!!!!

03GREYCOBRA

Established Member
Took my car into the shop the other day becase it sounded like the TOB was going out. Ford called a few hours later and told me that it was the TOB retainer and that it could not be covered under warr. because the car had been abused!!! I take excellent care of my car. What do they expect, people to by a car that is able to put out over 400 hp and drive it like a grandma????

Is there anything I can do?

Oh, by the way, they want $4,200 to install an new tranny.
:fm: :fm: :fm:

Last edited:

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Well, there is a TSB out on it, but with your mods im surprised they even would think about working on your car.

McLeod makes a TOB sleeve that you can buy for abou 100 bucks, and that will fix the problem for you. Dont let ford work on your car, they will rip you off. Go to a good tranny guy, and have him install that part.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You have a 2.8 pulley and chip, 4:10 gears and off-road X-pipe and you're surprised?

Seriously, I doubt any dealer would warrantee your drivetrain after those mods. This subject has been discussed countless times here and the general concensus is that if you go beyond the "friendly" mods like CAI (even that is questionable) and catback you're on your own. Do the pulley/chip and forget about it. Sorry!

Did they void your warranty?
If you have a oasis done...Find out if they voided your warranty.
If they didn't you should be able to return the car to stock and try a differant dealer.
But your mods should have been removed BEFORE you took it in!
This lesson has been learned the hard way for too many on this board.
Did you buy the car new or used?
Was it from a dealer or a private owner?
You do have so leagle rights as far as the sleave because there is a TSB and it has even broke on stock cars...So your mods may not have a thing to do with the part failure. No SINGLE mod can void your whole car warranty...But if your mod is the direct reason for the failure and it is POSIBLE....They will VOID :cuss: you on the spot. If you feel you can prove that your mods did not cause the failure directly...You can hire a lawyer...But that would cost you the 4200.00 anyway...So I would talk with them a little more (IN HOUSE) but be prepaired to spend so money.:( :??:

Last edited:

03yellow

Established Member
Here is what you need to do .

WHATEVER YOU DO...Do not raise a stink:

The dealership probally did not call ford ,or flag your car.
Smile, then thank them for their time and take your car home. Take off all the easy (visable)mods on your car and take it somewhere else.

Do not argue with the dealership , they are correct and have every right to void your warranty with your mods! And they can flag your car!!!

Take your car somewhere else!

The good news is you dont need a new tranny just a TOB. But dont argue with the dealership...simply go somewhere else.

Rule #1 Get to know your friendly Ford service writer.
Rule# 2 If you dont know one ..... start now!

It helps to do oil changes at the dealership; somestimes its cheaper(on our Cars) and you can get to know them.

Your probally OK.... if not get a new racing clutch and TOB!!! that will cost you about $600 to $800 installed :thumbsup:

Last edited:
03yellow said:
Here is what you need to do .

WHATEVER YOU DO...Do not raise a stink:

The dealership probally did not call ford ,or flag your car.
Smile, then thank them for their time and take your car home. Take off all the easy (visable)mods on your car and take it somewhere else.

Do not argue with the dealership , they are correct and have every right to void your warranty with your mods! And they can flag your car!!!

Take your car somewhere else!

The good news is your dont need a new tranny just a TOB. But dont argue with the dealership...simply go somewhere else.

Rule #1 Get to know your friendly Ford service writer.
Rule# 2 If you dont know one ..... start now!

It helps to do oil changes at the dealership; somestimes its cheaper(on our Cars) and you can get to know them.

Your probally OK.... if not get a new racing clutch and TOB!!! that will cost you about $600 to $800 installed :thumbsup:

Yeah....But first he has to find out if its flaged or not!
Someone on here will do an oasis so maybe if you do a search and find out who it is...Then shoot em' a PM!

MyT-Mouse

Established Member
Same thing happened to me but I got the TOB retainer replaced. For everyone saying that mods on our cars voids the warranty "You are wrong". The dealer has to prove that the aftermarket part contributed to the failure.

check out the Moss Magnusson act if you do not believe me. Their is a specific TSB 4-13-4 I think for the TOB retainer sleeve on our cars.

WDW MKR

Established Member
I would normally say that it's fraudulent to demod a car, but the TOB issue was addressed in a TSB. I think Ford should have to replace anything linked to a TSB, regardless of modifications. If they did flag your car, just buy the TOB and sleeve. You can replace them yourself, or have someone do it for cheap.

03yellow

Established Member
Why yes you honor...... I'm only pushing 465 hp to the rear... You dont really think that would hurt the clutch and TOB .....do you,sir ????

Not a whole lot to prove!

MyT-Mouse said:
Same thing happened to me but I got the TOB retainer replaced. For everyone saying that mods on our cars voids the warranty "You are wrong". The dealer has to prove that the aftermarket part contributed to the failure.

check out the Moss Magnusson act if you do not believe me. Their is a specific TSB 4-13-4 I think for the TOB retainer sleeve on our cars.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
03yellow said:
Why yes you honor...... I'm only pushing 465 hp to the rear... You dont really think that would hurt the clutch and TOB .....do you,sir ????

Not a whole lot to prove!

The problem with the above statement is that it isn't the clutch or the TOB that is bad, it is the input shaft bearing retainer AKA, the TOB guide tube.

This is a part that should last the lifetime of the car, regardless of the type of driving it sees. If Ford would have done the clutch linkage setup and trans spec design better, this would have never become an issue of a TSB.

That said, rather than fight with Ford about it, buy the aftermarket version or one for the T-45 trans and install it youself. While you're at it, install a new clutch and TOB too.

Dana

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
Dana said:
The problem with the above statement is that it isn't the clutch or the TOB that is bad, it is the input shaft bearing retainer AKA, the TOB guide tube.

This is a part that should last the lifetime of the car, regardless of the type of driving it sees. If Ford would have done the clutch linkage setup and trans spec design better, this would have never become an issue of a TSB.

That said, rather than fight with Ford about it, buy the aftermarket version or one for the T-45 trans and install it youself. While you're at it, install a new clutch and TOB too.

Dana

And get the Liberty 26 spline input shaft - Dana has excellent install directions..

dun4791

Established Member
I couldnt get Sutton Ford in Illinois to even give me a TOB sleeve over the counter on my car if i brought the old one in---They said they were supposed to do the work...HA NOT on my car they arent ill pay for the McLeod 90.00 shipped from Summit

You would think a TSB should be handled differently because Ford is admitting there is a design flaw, even if your warranty is nada. Only 2 more months and my 3yrs is up anyway.............Lyle

HIREDGUN

Banned
Just had mine done on my 04, took it in because it was making a little noise, they call back and say they will fix it but the guy is the gearhead at the shop(every one has one) and said that if I put anymore stuff on my car that I would need to start taking it of before coming in. Iam glad he gave the heads up first!! :thumbsup:

HPCobra04

Established Member
I had to put my stock h pipe back on after my friend at the dealer promissed me that they would void my warranty with my off road pipe, i hated it until i realized i made more boost with the stock h pipe, but still miss the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread