Ford will import Focus from China instead

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
DETROIT - Ford will export the next-generation Focus compact car from China to North America in 2019, rather than from Mexico as earlier planned, saving the company $500 million, a top executive said on Tuesday.

It is the first major manufacturing investment decision made by new Chief Executive Officer Jim Hackett, who succeeded Mark Fields in late May. Discussion about the small-car production shift from Mexico to China began "a couple months ago" under Fields, said Joe Hinrichs, president of global operations.

In January, after President Donald Trump criticized Ford for shipping small-car manufacturing to Mexico, Ford said it would kill plans to build a $1.8 billion Focus plant in San Luis Potosi and instead produce the new Focus at an existing plant in Hermosillo.

Although it is cheaper to build and ship cars to the United States from Mexico than China, "this was not a variable cost decision," Hinrichs said in a Tuesday morning briefing. "It allows us to free up a lot of capital" because Ford now has to retool only one plant - the existing Focus factory in Chongqing - rather than two to supply North America.

Given dwindling overall US demand for small cars such as the Focus, "we thought this was the best balance of that cost/capital tradeoff," Hinrichs said.

He said Ford planned to inform the White House this morning.

Asked if Ford was concerned about having to pay a border tax, as Trump has threatened on vehicle imports from Mexico, Hinrichs said "the capital saving outweighs the risk" of a potential tax on the Chinese-built Focus.

Ford stock fell 0.8 percent at $11.15.

The current Focus will be phased out of production in Wayne, Michigan, in mid-2018, according to Hinrichs. The Wayne plant will begin building a new Ranger compact truck in late 2018.

No US jobs will be affected, Ford said, adding that it employs more US hourly workers and builds more vehicles in the United States than any other automaker.

The White House and the United Auto Workers union were not immediately available to comment.

The redesigned Focus for North America will be built at a joint-venture plant operated with Chinese partner Changan Automobile, beginning in mid-2019. Ford also said some future variants of the new Focus will be shipped later from Europe.

Hinrichs said Ford remains a major exporter to China, shipping about 80,000 vehicles a year from North America.

General Motors has been exporting Buick and Cadillac cars from China to the United States, as has Volvo Cars, a unit of Chinese automaker Geely.

Reporting by Paul Lienert in Detroit.

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/06/20/...hina-to-us-in-2019/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000016

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
And here goes build quality.

It's a shame that I have to buy a Japanese product to own an American made vehicle. If I buy American, I buy a Mexican or a Chinese made vehicle.

It's a shame but Ford probably won't get much of my business anymore. Tacoma here I come.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.

It's a shame that I have to buy a Japanese product to own an American made vehicle. If I buy American, I buy a Mexican or a Chinese made vehicle.

It's a shame but Ford probably won't get much of my business anymore. Tacoma here I come.
The build quality between the Mexican built Fiesta and American built Focus are pathetically similar (not great). I doubt there will be much change.

The Chinese are actually decent at manufacturing things, we are just used to companies that want the least expensive manufacturing possible, so the quality is shit. Think of the older iPhones and iPods, their build quality was very good. It's only recently that it's diminished due to cost cutting. I have a buddy that builds shit with a CNC in his shop, he got too busy on some of his stuff and farmed the work out to a company in China. Their tolerances and anodizing were better than he was able to do himself, I was blown away.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member

The Focus was a European car to begin with. It's beginnings were not exactly American as Apple pie.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Its not about where the focus was originally designed, its about supporting american manufacturing.
You are though. As long as the Focus and the rest of the lines sell units it continues to support further ventures in the US and elsewhere. They obviously do a lot of manufacturing here just as a lot of manufacturers do, but basically you are saying we want all of the manufacturing here. While that would be great, it isn't realistic at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Famine

Established Member
Who cares about the build quality. My beef is Trump's dumbass. All we need is to get rid of China getting all of the manufacturing jobs and here it is, the same thing as usual. I will never buy a focus simply due to this. I wish liberals who have all the time to protest something would get out and protest products made in China. Yes, the majority of everything is made there now; that is why it's so imperative that we make that change now. That was the main reason I voted for Trump's dumbass (and Hillary is a pos).

RRMBrembo

Established Member

I love my American built Taco. Be wary of the 3rd gens though, engines don't have the same low grunt as 2nd gens and people are having various issues with transmission and various electrical component gremlins. Do your research!

On topic, seems like a "smart" move by Ford but I'm not sure if they've factored in future shipping costs as the cargo ships will be required to use a higher grade fuel starting 2020 which will probably increase ocean container shipping costs a decent chunk.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I love my American built Taco. Be wary of the 3rd gens though, engines don't have the same low grunt as 2nd gens and people are having various issues with transmission and various electrical component gremlins. Do your research!

On topic, seems like a "smart" move by Ford but I'm not sure if they've factored in future shipping costs as the cargo ships will be required to use a higher grade fuel starting 2020 which will probably increase ocean container shipping costs a decent chunk.

Will do!

And I think from that perspective, they have what? Two or three years of production on a low sales product before they need to be concerned with shipping costs? Plus factor in model changes (again) and future production plans.. they are liable to end up producing it here by the time fuel and shipping becomes more expensive. Or even then, they could dual role a plant here to produce two types of vehicles and split the production.

RRMBrembo

Established Member
Will do!

And I think from that perspective, they have what? Two or three years of production on a low sales product before they need to be concerned with shipping costs? Plus factor in model changes (again) and future production plans.. they are liable to end up producing it here by the time fuel and shipping becomes more expensive. Or even then, they could dual role a plant here to produce two types of vehicles and split the production.

It looks like it will export starting 2019 so 2020 models is what I'm guessing. They get one year of cheaper transport prices if they are lucky. I would think Ford would be smart enough to anticipate these things.. but large companies have failed to do their homework before...

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
As others have already pointed out, just because it's built in China won't automatically make it a pile of crap. For as much as there is crap manufacturing in China, there's also good manufacturing. Just as having the Made in USA sticker doesn't automatically make a product good.

I'm looking at you Scorpion...

Business sometimes dictates this and with the small percentage of people that buy these things state side vs the numbers they likely sell in China, Hinrich is probably not off base in saying the risk of a border tax is still worth it. Time will tell if that's the case or not.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member

Maybe check your facts, we're talking about a Focus here and not a truck. For 2014 the F150 is the #1 most American made vehicle there is, for 2016, it is #4 (a few GMs are ahead because the aluminum sourcing).

i dont support focus going to china but it is a throw away car anyways. If you want a nice focus, get an RS, it built in germany....(not saying german cars are great)

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
As others have already pointed out, just because it's built in China won't automatically make it a pile of crap. For as much as there is crap manufacturing in China, there's also good manufacturing. Just as having the Made in USA sticker doesn't automatically make a product good.

Based on what the average individual purchases, most of the china made products are crap. What sane person would spend tens of thousands of dollars for Chinese junk when so many smaller products end up as landfill swill?

Users who are viewing this thread