Ford Went After The Wrong Chevy with The GT350 (who cares about track?)

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
1536239.jpg

OP, it's not exactly as if the GT350 will be getting its doors blown off by V6 Camrys and Accords. Five hundred twenty six HP is not a small amount. Yes, there's always going to be "that guy" who will buy a GT350 and destroy the very essence of what it is for the sake of running down the 1/4 mile, just like some did with the Boss 302. But that is NOT, in any fashion, what this car is about. My '11 GT500 has 650+WHP, but I can only use some of it for a handful of seconds on the street before I fear I'll end up in handcuffs and my license suspended. It's setup for road course work, and I much, much, MUCH prefer blasting through mountain roads with it. Realistically, the only time all the extra HP comes into play there is when finally coming up to a section of passing lane and getting around slower, less capable cars. I can burn through multiple tanks of gas just blasting up and down the mountains.

In summary, I'd much rather spend a day on curvy roads than driving at full power in a straight line in +/-11 second spurts. When/if I get my GT350R, if a Hellcat (or anything else) comes along and "blows me away," I won't have a care in the world because I'll either be on the way to or coming from the mountains! :beer: And if I should feel the need to terrorize some challengers (no pun intended) on the freeway, I'll just take out the GT500. :rockon: Done and done.

Last edited:

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Take a look at Porsche. Turbo S vs GT3....which one holds its value better? It's not the Turbo. Why, to feel the soul of driving you need to go around corners!

I'm driving a 2700lb 200hp car now and it's the most fun driving I've ever had! I'm slowing down on the straights so that I have more room in the corners. It's not a go cart it's damn roller coaster every day!

Sounds like a Fiesta ST you're drivin'

O'Neill

Established Member
In all the press releases ive read, and in all the videos ive watched concerning the GT350, I have never heard anyone from Ford, or SVT, (Raj Nair/Jamal Hameedi) make the claim that they were going after the Z28. There was an interview with Hameedi that I remember seeing, and he was asked what target car were they going after with the GT350, and he said it was the Porsche Carrera 911 S.

Helmet

Established Member
In all the press releases ive read, and in all the videos ive watched concerning the GT350, I have never heard anyone from Ford, or SVT, (Raj Nair/Jamal Hameedi) make the claim that they were going after the Z28. There was an interview with Hameedi that I remember seeing, and he was asked what target car were they going after with the GT350, and he said it was the Porsche Carrera 911 S.

I belive that he said that they used the 911 GT3 as a benchmark vehicle

O'Neill

Established Member
I belive that he said that they used the 911 GT3 as a benchmark vehicle

I think I remember that as well. Here is the video about the 911 S. Go to the 4:44 mark

[video=youtube;0LD-PJCR7SY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LD-PJCR7SY[/video]

ToxicBot

Established Member
The straight line game just proves who has the most money to spend, the track actually tells you who the best driver is.
:lol::lol:

So you're saying it takes no skill to be good in the 1/4 mile? That's gotta be one of the dumbest things I've ever read..

Last edited:

Para81

Established Member
Is it just me or is the country generating a rapidly increasing number of morons per square mile...hard not to notice.

txviper

Established Member
Rode in a GT350R on the track and Chevy has nothing to offer that car. It is out of this world.

Also I should be getting mine pretty soon. At or below MSRP I might add..

Para81

Established Member
Rode in a GT350R on the track and Chevy has nothing to offer that car. It is out of this world.

Also I should be getting mine pretty soon. At or below MSRP I might add..

Great perspective too since you own some serious cars. Can you compare it the Ford GT?

Voltwings

Established Member
:lol::lol:

So you're saying it takes no skill to be good in the 1/4 mile? That's gotta be one of the dumbest things I've ever read..

Well, what i am saying it takes more skill to understand a braking zone, when and where to turn, where and how to accelerate, how to pass, how to recover and get back on the line after a pass, how to have the attention span to everything going on at once... I've drag raced before and wasn't interested, switched to road course instead, so unless you've done both as well i believe i'm the only one here with a valid argument ;). Also, most of the people roll racing the big whp cars at the mile and half mile events are automatics, so yes, im saying it takes very little skill to hold the wheel straight and plant the gas. This coming from someone who has owned a 500+ whp front wheel drive car lol, you'll receive no sympathy from me.

Last edited:

Helmet

Established Member
Well, what i am saying it takes more skill to understand a braking zone, when and where to turn, where and how to accelerate, how to pass, how to recover and get back on the line after a pass, how to have the attention span to everything going on at once... I've drag raced before and wasn't interested, switched to road course instead, so unless you've done both as well i believe i'm the only one here with a valid argument ;). Also, most of the people roll racing the big whp cars at the mile and half mile events are automatics, so yes, im saying it takes very little skill to hold the wheel straight and plant the gas. This coming from someone who has owned a 500+ whp front wheel drive car lol, you'll receive no sympathy from me.

1/4 Drag Racing requires no Skill?

I think there might be one or two NHRA drivers who would disagree with you

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
1/4 Drag Racing requires no Skill?

I think there might be one or two NHRA drivers who would disagree with you

You obviously didnt comprehend what he is saying, which most likely indicates you are only into drag racing. You ever wonder why the real big bucks in racing almost always involve corners?

Also, I would trade my GT500 in a heartbeat for a GT350. If I had the option for any new reasonable car it would tye R. I have no idea what the driving exoerience is like but I drool at the ideas my mind comes up with as to how it feels. I've been in GT3s and BMWs and if it is anywhere newar them it will be the best Ford in the lineup outside the FGT easily.

Last edited:

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
It requires very little skill to be decent at drag racing. You can get a little better here and there as you hone just a few skills. This is coming from someone who likes drag racing, autox, and road course. Drag racing is by far the least entertaining and easiest to master. You could literally write down every tip to get better at drag racing in a paragraph or two.

Eighth and quarter mile drag racing is getting less and less popular as roll races for quarter, half, and full mile events grow. Roll races require even less skill. Drag racing is more about what car you have, whereas in autox and road racing, Miatas will put most Mustang drivers to shame with 130hp.

Drag racing = fast car
Road racing = fast driver

txviper

Established Member
Great perspective too since you own some serious cars. Can you compare it the Ford GT?
After you mentioned that I realized I hadn't updated my sig in a while. I was fortunate enough to ride back to back in a GT and a GT350R at the Ford GT Rally last week.

First was the R- I remember thinking to myself that this was probably going to be fun but not impressive as I strapped in. Man was I wrong. We were at the test track in Detroit and it is a very short, challenging track. Lots of corners, extreme grade changes to get the car unsettled and test suspension, etc.. At one point the car feels like all four tires come off the ground and then as soon as the suspension compresses you go into a hard corner. So the driver had to nail the brakes, settle the car, and then navigate a high mid speed turn.

I have never been in a car that was so pissed off, yet extremely controllable. At the beginning I told the driver "drop the hammer on this bitch I want to see what it will really do since I have one coming". He was happy to comply:rockon: Everything he threw at the car was a piece of cake for the R, the tires never broke loose, the tail never wagged, brakes were amazing. Going into the corners I kept expecting the car to get a little sideways because it is a Mustang....nothing. I felt like I was in a true track car, not a street car tweaked to do OK on a track. I had to keep reminding myself that I was in a Mustang street car.

The GT-The GT was much different, still impressive, but not pissed off. It was obvious that the GT was not as fast on this track as the R. In the turns the GT would wag its tail slightly and navigate around them like a fun drivers car. One thing to keep in mind is they were using the same type Goodyears that came on the car from the factory. That in itself is very impressive because those tires are pretty much worthless. The brakes weren't nearly as extreme but still very impressive. From a power standpoint it felt like it was going as fast, or faster on the straights but in a smoother, more confident fashion.

To sum it up.....The GT is still a rock star but now is a proper gentleman. The GT350R is a young athlete that is mad at the world and has a point to prove:-D

triso

Established Member
Yes please. Any comparison information would be greatly appreciated.

I am on the fence about buying this car. I love everything about it, but prefer smaller sized sports cars and I'm worried about the general size of this bad boy but if the handling characteristics are that good maybe it won't matter.

Users who are viewing this thread