Ford TPMS sensors, explanation please

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
When I purchased my '17 F-450 platinum, it came with the full tow package, which included 4 extra tire pressure sensors for my trailer.
I had those installed last year, but one was dead from the get go. I called my local dealer and they have one...for $80!
So I started looking online. Mine is labeled as 433mhz. The ones I find are 315mhz.
Can anyone break down the part number and tell me what designates the frequency? Why is it so hard to find a replacement? I've included a picture just FYI.

The number on it is HC3T-1A180-CA
Below that is HC3T-1A150-CA.

So, what's the deal? Why so many part numbers and so many sensors?
20210506_102911.jpeg

**** Biden

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Any 433 mhz sensor can be used. There are a ton available online. A 4 pack for $80 as an example. The sensor does not know what year/make/model of vehicle it is in. It just transmits at 433 mhz.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just some food for thought.

Yes, buying from Ford is a little higher, but the failure rate for aftermarket ones are significantly higher.

I've had this same conversation with several customers. On equipment like this, I always tend to favor paying a little more and feeling more confident. Having a low tire on a trailer full of stuff isn't a lot of fun if you don't find out until it's too late, at that point, the $50 you save was still wasted.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Just some food for thought.

Yes, buying from Ford is a little higher, but the failure rate for aftermarket ones are significantly higher.

I've had this same conversation with several customers. On equipment like this, I always tend to favor paying a little more and feeling more confident. Having a low tire on a trailer full of stuff isn't a lot of fun if you don't find out until it's too late, at that point, the $50 you save was still wasted.
There are exceptions to every rule but you generally get what you pay for and that's where factory OEM parts come into play. Saving a buck is nice but that usually costs more in the long run.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok, so it doesn't matter what it looks like, just that it is the same frequency? I was looking for the same exact type.

And I truly do understand the "you get what you pay for" mentality. If your experience is that aftermarket units fail at a much higher rate, then I guess I'll bite the bullet and just get the one from the dealer.

BTW, how long should a sensor last? And do they only transmit when the vehicle is in motion?

**** Biden

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ok, so it doesn't matter what it looks like, just that it is the same frequency? I was looking for the same exact type.

And I truly do understand the "you get what you pay for" mentality. If your experience is that aftermarket units fail at a much higher rate, then I guess I'll bite the bullet and just get the one from the dealer.

BTW, how long should a sensor last? And do they only transmit when the vehicle is in motion?

**** Biden

It depends. Some last 150k miles and 10 years, others last a year. I think a lot of it has to do with weather conditions that they're exposed to and such. But they're electronic, sometimes they just fail because it's the third Wednesday of the month and it's cloudy in Tokyo.

Users who are viewing this thread