Ford tech damaged my wheel

2k1cobra

Established Member
Havent posted on here in a while, but i just wanted to get some opinions on how to approach this. Today when i drove the stang i noticed a slight vibration around 20-30 mph. I decided not to take any chances and took it in to have a tech look at it. It ended up just being a nail in the front drivers side tire and they just patched up the tire.

A couple hrs later i decided to wash the car. As i was wiping down the wheels i noticed the wheel they pulled off had about 5-6 scuffs on different spokes. Im pretty upset because they are the premium wheels. Should i just go in there and demand a new wheel?

heatsoaked12

Established Member
This may be a lesson learned on your part with no payout sadly. Unless you've taken a service adviser outside and did a walk around before service(yes people do that) you'll probably be out of luck. To prove that the scuffs were the FORD tech and not yourself, a car wash, unknown techs to ford that have serviced the car,would be a challenge. Certainly you should give it a try but don't be surprised when they deny you a wheel.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
its worth a shot, I definitely wouldnt go in there with an attitude but not likely.

I learned my lesson after picking up my car and getting to work to find a dent in my bumper where someone hit it with a trailer hitch.

Zemedici

Established Member
Just have a place touch up your wheel, and make sure you do a walkaround from now on. You'd be hard pressed to get them to cover it as its both after the fact, and there wasnt a walkaround done beforehand.

Call the dealership, they may have a guy they use to repair wheels.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
While I agree that a walk-around is beneficial, do people really have their cars pre-inspected prior to all or most servicing? Because honestly I haven't. I see the benefit, but do dealerships and shops always have the time to do it, and do it right? Especially when they're busy with customers standing in line. And how far do they go? Just the wheels? The whole vehicle, inside and outside? I'm not being negative, just asking a practical question.

It would make just as much sense for the car owner to inspect the service performed before leaving the dealership. That I've done before. Equally important, IMO, is doing your homework to ensure that the dealership/shop of choice has a solid service reputation. I also think it's a good idea to tell the service adviser to be sure they're careful with the wheels if they're servicing the wheels/tires, stating that they're expensive and in mint condition. I've had service advisers in the past walk out to the service rep to tell him to be careful with my (wheels) when servicing. The higher the reputation of the shop, the higher the overall experience should be with the service folks. Which is why service reputation is important. JMO.

2k1cobra, I hope the dealership will work with you on this. Sucks that it happened. If they won't, then find a good wheel repair shop. Be sure that you investigate the quality of their work before having a shop do the repair.

Zemedici

Established Member
FWIW Bob - I do a walkaround every single time I write up a car, with the customer right there. That way I make them aware of the existing damage on their vehicle, that they may be unaware of, as well as it shows our attention to detail at my shop. I've always done this, even when I was at a Ford Dealership writing service.

Exterior only. I write down every scuff, ding, dent, scratch, etc. Doesnt take 90 seconds and has saved my ass on more than one occasion.

2k1cobra

Established Member
If for some reason they dont want to repair it im not gonna lose sleep over it. Ive had my eye on a set of velgen wheels in bronze that would look sweet on my Oxford white gt. Just wasnt planning on dropping so much cash on wheels so soon lol.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
as mentioned you may be able to get them touched up pretty cheap for now then have more resale value. I curbed one of the wheels on my truck right after I got it, the dealership's wheel guy fixed it for $50 and you'd never be able to tell.

Zemedici

Established Member
If for some reason they dont want to repair it im not gonna lose sleep over it. Ive had my eye on a set of velgen wheels in bronze that would look sweet on my Oxford white gt. Just wasnt planning on dropping so much cash on wheels so soon lol.

Call Velgen and ask for Scott, tell him Josh from Atlanta sent you. LOVED the velgens I put on my 2015.

80-20933483481_cea8bae6b3_h_903e4aecbf5764206787bd97e43f6f1e6e7140f1.jpg

2k1cobra

Established Member
Exact wheels i want. They look awsome on your car. Does velgen do custom colors also?

Users who are viewing this thread