Ford / SVT testing at Sebring on Friday

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
So I went down to Sebring on Friday afternoon for a DE that weekend, and when I got there I saw a lone silver 2013+ bodied Mustang alone running the long course (3.7 mile full track used in the 12 Hour race).

The car itself was silver, had the Boss 302 front grille, black tape around the car, for what appeared to be sensors and such, and then what I found to be the most odd was the gas tank area protruded from the normal body lines of the car, significantly enough that I could see it as it was going around the track at full speed. The wheels were also much wider than stock, and stuck out of the wheel wells a significant amount.

The car was EXTREMELY quiet; there was zero blower whine, and it was significantly quieter than the ZL1 and 911 Carrera S they were testing as well (more on that in a second).

So I went over to the hot pits and found a black dual car trailer with a black F series dually, neither had any markings on it, and there was a black pop-up tent next to the trailer in the hot pits. This appeared to be the same setup that was down here at Sebring when they were testing the 2013 GT500 last October. I saw some guys with laptops next to the tents, and then two test drivers in white fire suits with giant "SVT" logos in blue on the back of the fire suits. In front of the tent, they had what appeared to be a stock black Camaro ZL1 and the new 911 Carrera S, that also appeared to be stock, and was silver.

I got a few lap times on the silver Mustang and the Carrera S, but I did not get one on the ZL1:

Mustang best lap time: 2:27
Carrera S best lap time: 2:24

That is 3 seconds off one of the best driver's cars out there, on one of the roughest tracks in the country.

Here is a video (sorry for the poor quality, had to snap it with my Iphone):

Ford Testing at Sebring 1/18/13 - YouTube

I am wondering what this is; possibly an Ecoboost next generation Mustang mule?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A bit short, but nice. I'm sure you had a lot of fun tossing your Mustang around.

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
Based on the gas tank pictures of the 2015 Mustang mule's, and the car that I saw with the protruding gas tank area, this appears to be a 2015 mule testing at Sebring.

2015-Ford-Mustang-Prototype-Mule-rear-three-quarters-view-1024x640.jpg

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
VERY interesting, although I love competition, I think its time to bury the Camero with Fords next gen Mustang!

Hopefully by then us avg early 30's guys can afford a '13 GT500!!!

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
If you zoom in I think you can see the IRS on that car. I would guess it is in fact a 2015 mule with a new motor in it....nice find

Users who are viewing this thread