Ford Shelby Mustang GT350 to get 5.2-Liter Flat-Plane Crank V-8 ??

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
If it's 600 N/A it will be an awesome track rat. I could see myself getting this as a corner carver and keeping the GT500 as my dragstrip queen.

662HP631TQ

Established Member
Was I the only one more impressed by the Focus RS? Don't get me wrong the GT350 sounds AWESOME!!! The Focus RS though I was not fully expecting. I may pick one up! Although I believe they shoud make it 360 HP just to piss off Mercedes and there AMG 4 Banger Turbo!

Todd03Blown

Established Member
Was I the only one more impressed by the Focus RS?

That car is going to be a beast! What a slick DD that car would make! Cannot wait to see it next year.

The GT350 is going to be sweet as hell. Cannot wait to get the official specs on this new hotrod!!

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
Would love to have my Raptor, GT350, and RS but I need to win a lottery first lol. Good read on the article though.

specizripn

Established Member
The biggest flat plane crank I have seen was a 4.6L so this would be pretty unique. GOOD LUCK balancing a FPC engine with that long of a stroke... And the magazines seem to be pushing this pretty hard without providing any evidence for their reasoning...

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
Evidence for what? The magazine was told by Ford insiders that the flat plane crank was a reality. That balancing it was the biggest challenge. That the solution the engineers came up with is an extra large balancer/damper on the front of the crank. Pretty straight forward stuff. Either they are lying, or they are not. Either they have a dependable source or they do not. Right now we dont have the luxury of positively knowing either but enough has come out about the FPC that it seems well within reason.

NametoShowOther

Established Member
The biggest flat plane crank I have seen was a 4.6L so this would be pretty unique. GOOD LUCK balancing a FPC engine with that long of a stroke... And the magazines seem to be pushing this pretty hard without providing any evidence for their reasoning...

Ok so why is that relevant to the engineering? Do you design engines?

rrg9946

Established Member

An FPC engine is easier to balance. It is essentially balance upon machining. Because of the journals are cut with the flat edge. That cut us precisely measured through weight and mass to match the remaining rotating assembly. Not to mention 2 pistons are at TDC at a time. This creates a lack of need for counter weights to the degree a Cross plane crank would need

Last edited:

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
It's not a matter of balancing, it's a matter of harmonics. The same thing that busts up oil pump gears on our mod engines. Second order harmonics get out of hand so the easiest way to control that is a larger (harmonic) damper. Seems straight forward but begs the question why Ferrari hasnt done it if it's that simple. On the other hand, if Lingenfelter can make a robust 358ci FPC LSx engine, I think the PhD's and deep pockets at Ford should be able to figure it out. No matter who you are you have to give Ford credit for doing whatever it takes to make this small cube platform work. First 4 valve heads, now this. Awesome.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Balance as in NVH, and the bigger the engine the bigger the issues when it comes to FPC, which is why all of the Flat Plane Crank V8s you see in production cars are in the 3 and 4L range. If you make the engine too big the laws of physics come into play and the engine just rattles everything to bits. Go do some research... Some of you need to do some research instead of critiquing those who know what they are talking about...

Because you are the only one here who knows what he's talking about and you know absolutely everything there is to know? How come you aren't engineering these engines for Ford then? Why weren't you consulting them on what you know before they even bothered testing a 5.0+ liter FPC? Maybe it's because they have engineers more knowledgeable and capable than you.

Last edited:

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
Balance as in NVH. Go do some research... Some of you need to do some research instead of critiquing those who know what they are talking about...

Balance and NVH are not related. Ford engines are internally balanced. The damper on the front of the engine is strictly for controlling harmonics. It has nothing to do with "balance". When you come into a forum like this and say something like "GOOD LUCK balancing a FPC engine with that long of a stroke..", you will incur some push back. Nobody in the industry who knows what they are talking about would use the two terms interchangeably. They are worlds apart.

wildwill532

Established Member
Am I the only one here who doesn't see the value in this? I think this is going backwards in performance. Say you make 600hp and 430 tq this will still not perform as hot as a c6 z06/ls7 setup even if your reving to the moon and you will have to. Idk I just don'tget excited hearing tthese specs and knowing the car won't get much lighter. Why not give a 427 as a ooption? Why do we keep sticking to smaller displacement engines? At least the previous gt500s had blowers.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Serious question. At what point did you ever think the Mustang was an actual threat to the Z06?

helloWorld

Established Member
I also want to know why Ford does not just make some higher displacement engines.

I would love to know what power output the current coyote motor would have if it was a 6 liter.

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
Am I the only one here who doesn't see the value in this? I think this is going backwards in performance. Say you make 600hp and 430 tq this will still not perform as hot as a c6 z06/ls7 setup even if your reving to the moon and you will have to. Idk I just don'tget excited hearing tthese specs and knowing the car won't get much lighter. Why not give a 427 as a ooption? Why do we keep sticking to smaller displacement engines? At least the previous gt500s had blowers.

What kind of math are you using where 500 HP outperforms 600 HP? If by "performs" you are referring to metrics known only to you than ok. But in terms of straight line or otherwise the new GT350 engine will stomp the LS7. Is it fair to judge the engine based on the 3600 lb chassis it will be bolted to VS the Vette's ultra light 3200 pounds? I dont think so. If Ford really pulls this off it will be the most insane engine ever released by Detroit. Anybody can make power bolting on a blower. Naturally aspirated separates the men from the boys but it also means the men are usually going to their asses whooped. I would love to see Detroit get back to competing head to head naturally aspirated because blowers and turbos are going to get out of hand real quick. 1000 HP anyone?

Jumping off my soapbox of praises for this new engine, I agree, what the heck? Why is Ford messing around with these tiny engines and failing to use the 440ci capability of the new Boss block developed for the Raptor? Put 4 valve heads on a 428ci block and the rest of the worlds performance engines may as well throw in the towel. Game over.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
If you look in the right places around this section you'll see news from a valid source mentioning or confirming the 5.2 FPC but also a new big block that is being built in the plant the Trinity was built.

Users who are viewing this thread