Ford releasing a supercar Mustang Thursday 17th

jessie_sanders

Established Member
What desirable cars in general can you afford regardless of brand? You're describing life in general where you have other responsibilities, but you are implying that Ford should be building you a vehicle that fits in your budget so you can still have the newest and coolest. That's what the used market it for.
All I'm saying is Ford used to make desirable cars that were affordable and they no longer do. I don't understand why that's so upsetting.

You're right, I could have said Chevy, Dodge, Ford no longer make performance enthusiasts the average man can afford. Like they used to.

Sent from my motorola razr plus 2023 using Tapatalk

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
All I'm saying is Ford used to make desirable cars that were affordable and they no longer do. I don't understand why that's so upsetting.

You're right, I could have said Chevy, Dodge, Ford no longer make performance enthusiasts the average man can afford. Like they used to.

That's the point, no one makes anything affordable because inflation has ****ed everything up and wages aren't keeping pace. Just look at the cost of trucks in general. I was making good money too but I couldn't afford to buy a new $40-50k Mustang GT which is actually still cheap by historical standards.

When you adjust for inflation the prices are still close now to what they were in the early 2000s, 1990s, etc. $50k now was equivalent to $25k in 1995, $30k in 2000, and about $5200 in 1965. So there's been a pretty big increase since 60s prices, but there has been considerably more equipment required to build cars since then that have driven prices up as well. Just out of curiosity I looked up the MSRP of a 1969 Boss 429 and it would have been $41k if sold today. The fact that a 2023 Mustang GT starts at $39k MSRP is actually pretty impressive and even still the 2024 starts at $41k... for almost 500hp too!

There's just so much cool shit out there that is far more expensive that the GT is not as desirable because you want the top of the line, but shit is expensive today due to our own irresponsible government, but also because the market is demanding it. I do wish that there was a cheaper option and I think Ford should come out with something that is smaller and competes with the 86/BRZ, Miata, or all of the small sport compacts. I'd like to see the RS200 be reincarnated even with the turbo mid engine and AWD, but I don't see how something like that could ever be cheap though.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Car is cool, taking the chance to prove that a “Mustang” (however real Mustang it may be after the surgery, not withstanding) can be a supercar. I won’t disagree or complain about any of that.

However, one of my biggest complaints, especially as I get older, is that Ford doesn’t have a Z06 fighter in a 2 seater design.

Not really bringing anything to the conversation, just joining in on all the bitching. This endeavors finances should have been used to give us a ~$100,000 GT similar to the 05/06. Name it whatever you want. I’d be in the market.

I mean yeah. If any manufacturer made a halo car for $100k, it'd sell out before they built the first one.

Why not buy a Mustang?

Fat Boss

Established Member
I saw the GTD at Laguna Seca on Sat. It's bad to the bone, no two ways about it. I hope I can get one. I'd drive it to the track and hammer on it.

I also got to meet Bill Ford Jr that evening. He saw me admiring a friend's GT500 and came up and introduced himself. I sat next to Camillo Pardo and Peter Miles at dinner!

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I like the GTD. It is bad to the bone. It is going to surprise a lot of people with the performance it has.
Do I have $300K to drop on one?
Nope not yet.
But that does not make me hate the car. I just need to work harder if I want to get one. OK, A lot harder. Lol.
The fact that Ford is offering this is remarkable.
Just wait, in 10 years it will sell at auction for 2-3 times as much.
You can't make a shit vehicle and have that happen.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I like the GTD. It is bad to the bone. It is going to surprise a lot of people with the performance it has.
Do I have $300K to drop on one?
Nope not yet.
But that does not make me hate the car. I just need to work harder if I want to get one. OK, A lot harder. Lol.
The fact that Ford is offering this is remarkable.
Just wait, in 10 years it will sell at auction for 2-3 times as much.
You can't make a shit vehicle and have that happen.

We have low mileage Evos and STIs going for $90k...

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
What does selling out mean? Why not make a car that “sells out”? How is this a bad thing for Ford? Nothing makes sense.

You may have interpreted his message wrong. I think he meant it would by using it’d. I don’t think he meant they’re sell outs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Not sure if this has been posted yet in this thread. But for those that are interested in this car, check out this site. There are some FANTASTIC images of the "bits" of the car. I know @Tob has found it.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I’m not yelling at anything. No one is going to see these “halo” cars on the road. Meanwhile the top Vettes will be everywhere. I’ve already seen two Z06 cars driving around. The whole thing is a giant nothing burger. No one is going to own one. Of the few that get one they won’t drive them. Jay Leno will drive it around his building a couple times and make a video. Who cares. Oh and the wing is terrible.

You're not entirely correct there. I, for one, plan to drive this bad boy to COTA on a regular basis and go exotic hunting (I hear there's no bag limit...) and then drive it home at the end of the day.

I realize I am probably in the minority of owners here. But judging from some of the other folks I saw at Jim's reveal last week, I won't be the only one...

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
You may have interpreted his message wrong. I think he meant it would by using it’d. I don’t think he meant they’re sell outs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I bet Lincoln wishes they could have sold out of the continental. Maybe if they made a car that people actually wanted it would have?
You're not entirely correct there. I, for one, plan to drive this bad boy to COTA on a regular basis and go exotic hunting (I hear there's no bag limit...) and then drive it home at the end of the day.

I realize I am probably in the minority of owners here. But judging from some of the other folks I saw at Jim's reveal last week, I won't be the only one...
You and the chosen will need to keep a look out for Vettes….

1692674265984.gif

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
So I read that this thing is expected to go deep into the sub 7 minutes at the Ring. The fastest right now is the 911 GT3 RS that set one record at 6:47 and then followed it up with a quicker time, but using aftermarket upgrades from Manthey, one of the Euro Porsche tuners. The AMG Black was in the 6:43s, and just to give a little bit of perspective, the Rimac Navera with 1950hp just set the EV record there with a 7:05. If this GTD goes sub 7s, which it sounds like it was already benchmarked to do, then that is sweiously impressive.

I just found the article in my history and made some edits to the track times since I had them a little off.

blk02edge

Established Member
I doubt we see much 'Ring' effort as it's a shit benchmark due to such extreme variables but I will wager that we see the GTD dominate the street legal factory car laps around the USA. including the Senna, maybe. That'll depend on tire

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
3RS was 6.44.84, BS was 6:43.61. I think the Manthey stuff with GT2 RS was very un-Porsche.

The BS is a total sledgehammer. I had about 60 new GTs out at a track day and I had the BS out there and it was no problem for me as a very average driver to calmly mow through traffic. I expect the GTD to be in the same ballpark, and I think that's pretty cool.
HF5T84C-0%21sizeoriginal copy.jpg
m2Vkpcp-0%21sizeoriginal copy.jpg

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
3RS was 6.44.84, BS was 6:43.61. I think the Manthey stuff with GT2 RS was very un-Porsche.

The BS is a total sledgehammer. I had about 60 new GTs out at a track day and I had the BS out there and it was no problem for me as a very average driver to calmly mow through traffic. I expect the GTD to be in the same ballpark, and I think that's pretty cool. View attachment 1806536View attachment 1806537

Gorgeous. The BS is a machine for sure!

With another nearly 200hp, I'd expect the GTD to be faster than the BS.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I don't know what rocks you're smoking, but for what it's worth Ford made $1.9 billion in net income in Q2 and it's full year earnings forecast remains between $11-12 billion. That's making about $1 billion every 30 days.
Do you know if the GTD is orderable in Canada?

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Gorgeous. The BS is a machine for sure!

With another nearly 200hp, I'd expect the GTD to be faster than the BS.

BS is definitely underrated HP wise. I think it's probably around 775 hp and it's probably at least 200 lbs less. I'm a skeptic GTD can possibly be this fast and that's just a compliment to the BS. Anything under 7 min is ridiculous fast, but 6:45 and under is insane.

Do you know if the GTD is orderable in Canada?

Yeah for sure. It will be a global car.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
BS is definitely underrated HP wise. I think it's probably around 775 hp and it's probably at least 200 lbs less. I'm a skeptic GTD can possibly be this fast and that's just a compliment to the BS. Anything under 7 min is ridiculous fast, but 6:45 and under is insane.

You're privy to the weight of the GTD... I'm guess it'll come in around 3700-3800lbs. What's the BS? 3650 or so?

EDIT: And I'm gonna need an invite to one of these GT track events :)

Users who are viewing this thread