Ford rear diff cover

termin8rdsg

Established Member
I'm in the process of fixing the infamous rear diff leak. I got the cover off and when I took it off and gave it a look, the bottom part of the cover, where it was leaking looked like it was grounded by a grinder, I assume by hand, possibly by Ford?, probably to smooth out the rough edges once it came out of the casting. Anyways its off .005 and .004 where it was ground at the bottom where it was leaking. I have the diesel sealant but I am concerned that it will leak again due to it not being flush all the way around. Does anyone have any input that could help me?

Thanks,
Asher

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
lots of guys have resealed the stock cover with great success. but if you can tell that it is not straight, or looks like it has been ground by hand, perhaps the problem with is the cover and you should look for a stock or aftermarket replacement.

termin8rdsg

Established Member
Well I would gladly get the lpw cover but I bought the billetflow brace prior to realizing the ford cover was off. What do you guys think of me bringing this piece to a machine shop?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Well I would gladly get the lpw cover but I bought the billetflow brace prior to realizing the ford cover was off. What do you guys think of me bringing this piece to a machine shop?

Check the sealing surface with a straight edge visually or a dial indicator on a granite surface plate. See how bad it is.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

greengt88

Established Member
i just looked @ pics on billetflow's site, they had pics of a cover similar to fore's cover, but it had the rear diff support integrated into the cover as all one piece. anybody have more info on that?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i just looked @ pics on billetflow's site, they had pics of a cover similar to fore's cover, but it had the rear diff support integrated into the cover as all one piece. anybody have more info on that?

yes dougwg made those at one point, but it was quite a while (several years) back. and in one of fore's more recent threads (when they were releasing theirs originally) someone asked him and he said he didn't have any more to sell.

they looked like real nice pieces :rockon:

black 10th vert

Established Member
OP, just buy the LPW cover, and sell your BF brace. I had a brand new BF brace that I decided to sell when I changed my mind, and decided to go LPW. I got enough for the brace, that the new cover only cost me around $70, or so. It's a much better option inmo, because the whole cover is much better supported, it has integral bearing supports, and built in drain plug! It was a no brainer for me. I would have loved to get the Fore cover, but just could not justify the price, when the LPW does everything it does, except for the looks (but since it is hidden when installed anyway, that was the big deciding factor for me).

gadway41

Established Member
Just changed the OEM cover to a LPW. I increased all tapped holes to 5/16-24 Helicoils, Added two Shoulder bolts at 9 and 3 o'clock, used a lubelocker gasket. All this while disconnecting driveshaft, removing diff. mounting hardware, bending exhaust mounting brackets and sliding diff towards from of car. Tires and halfshafts still intact.

Cover is now solid ass a rock, it will not turn do to torque, held in place by the shoulder bolts and larger mounting bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread