Ford Performance Shelby GT350R Rear Seat Kit

EditorTurner

Established Member
0 Shelby GT350R Rear Seat Kit Featured.jpg
Get Back
Want a rear seat in your GT350R? Ford Performance Parts can help
By Steve Turner
Photos courtesy of Ford Performance

Last September we first got wind that Ford Performance would be offering a rear-seat upgrade kit for the Shelby GT350R by way of its inclusion in the car auctioned at the Cattle Baron’s Ball to benefit the American Cancer Society. The kit landed on the Ford Performance Parts website last November and we shared the news here. Now that the GT350Rs have hit the streets, Ford is offering an official reminder that the kit is available.
Continue reading →

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
“We always listen to customer feedback,” Dave Pericak, global director, Ford Performance, said. “So when many requested a back seat for their GT350R, we acted quickly to make it available.”

Apparently, Ford Racing is listening to the large number of Ford executives that received the R models that are near impossible for anyone else to get. Seems they pushed for the rear seats and FRPP accommodated them.

Well, I just spoke with a FRPP top ten dealer that asked when the rear seat DELETE kit would be available. The response was no, not doing it.

This is how you piss off your base, Ford. There's your feedback.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The redirect is to purchase each individual part through Ford Parts and Service at a premium as opposed to a kit from the mothership that brings performance parts to the public at a reasonable price point. FRPP offered the Laguna Seca RSD kit (I purchased one) for retrofit into any S197 vehicle but in the case of the GT350 has elected to leave it as an exclusive part to those that got an R model - so that they can remove the delete kit and add seats.

Somebody has to tell Pericak and company how they feel about this.

Frustrated.

And while I credit Levittown Ford for putting a Service kit together, I've always tried to support my favorite FRPP dealer who in this case has no kit to sell due to whatever "rationale" at the top.

EditorTurner

Established Member
Perhaps those that install seats might sell the deletes like Terminator solid-axle swappers did with the factory IRS.

The next time I'm around the FPP folks I will suggest they offer the delete kit. Always better to ask nicely for a new offering than to complain about an existing one.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
You're a good man Steve.

I used to always be polite and respectful.:) What I've learned is that you sometimes have to pull the truth card when the elephant in the room continues to be disregarded. The buying experience for a large number of potential GT350 owners has been a bit of a trainwreck, to say the least. Being lucky enough to have negotiated a fair deal myself, the plan was to incorporate a number of additional performance parts that Ford developed for the car, the rear seat delete being one of them. Mustang fans have waited decades for factory delete kits. So to see this going on is painful at best.

The rear seat kit is a nice one, all inclusive and at a great price. Nice to see FRPP do it. But there is a far larger market out there that has been very patient in waiting for the delete kit and to be told no is rather disgruntling.

krt22

Established Member
Tell ’em how you really feel, Tob. :rolling:

Sounds like a good opportunity for the aftermarket.

Its the only way for me, no way am I forking out $1500 for the RSD from Ford parts only to then punch holes in it for the roll bar rear supports

But I agree, pretty insulting they will offer a custom seat kit for a group of <500 owners but not offer the RSD that could easily be used by 5000+ owners.

Last edited:

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
2016 Ford Performance parts catalog is up....I noticed some interesting tidbits. Track Key! Ecoboost power packs! I hope to see more details soon.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
That's a damned good price, considering they charged a bit more for the S197 delete kit comprised of couple of fiber board panels and a flimsy X-brace!! It looks nice, too.

krt22

Established Member
2016 Ford Performance parts catalog is up....I noticed some interesting tidbits. Track Key! Ecoboost power packs! I hope to see more details soon.
Was really hoping to see ford racing GT350 lowering springs or the R-specific springs. Will be interesting to see what features they have for the trac-key

Pete Grimaldi

Established Member
If I were to buy a GT350R, why would I want a back seat? If I want a back seat, why wouldn't I buy the GT350 with the Track Package instead? Putting a rear seat in the GT350R implies that you are going to either have passengers (yeah right!) or you really don't want to track the car but get the discount for a four seater with the insurance company.

Pete

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
If I were to buy a GT350R, why would I want a back seat? If I want a back seat, why wouldn't I buy the GT350 with the Track Package instead? Putting a rear seat in the GT350R implies that you are going to either have passengers (yeah right!) or you really don't want to track the car but get the discount for a four seater with the insurance company.

Pete

The insurance discount still wouldn't apply because it's not VIN'd with a backseat. My GT500 is now a two-seater, but I still pay four-seater insurance rates. :)

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Today's episode of "What The Hell Are They Thinking".....

http://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-mustang-shelby-gt350r-gets-its-back-seat-back-as-a-999-extra/

C&D said:
We wouldn’t think many GT350Rs would need to be pressed into carpool duty, and if one did want to occasionally stuff a couple passengers into the back of your muscle Mustang, then we’d think a GT350, with or without the Track Package, would serve just fine. But Shelby customers have spoken, even if somewhat nonsensically.

Nonsensical indeed.

Hey Ford - if the chosen few that were able to purchase an R model don't want the rear seat delete (and with fewer kits molded the cost goes up) why not at least offer the RSD to Track Pack buyers? Does that make sense to you?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
_Ford Performance parking lot.JPG

Top car looks like a base or Tech car with early development rims. Bottom, an R with "standard" GT350 rims. Enhancing in PS, the R looks to still be sporting the factory RSD. Either way, if somebody is going to trash a GT350 on salt peppered roads, it may as well be the guys that were responsible for its creation.

Users who are viewing this thread