Ford oil to Mobil 1 change - how?

hmwave

Established Member
Changing from Ford 5W-20 to Mobil 1 5W-30. I've been using the OEM Ford oil for 18K miles since delivery.

I assume I can just heat up the motor, thoroughly drain the Ford oil, swap in a new filter, and pour in 6.25quarts of the Mobil 1?

Just wanted to make sure the small amount of residual Ford oil mixed with the Mobil1 will be fine.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
It won't hurt anything, but if you feel it's a problem you can drive it around the block and change with Mobile 1 again. Do this as many times as you like, each change will further decrease the amount of shitty stock oil in the engine! :)

Last edited:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Seriously, I'm going to change to M1 5W30 with the next change. 6000 miles. Just heat the Engine a bit and let it drain real good.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Also, you only need 6 qts. The dipstick is not very acurate so don't go by it. Remember, too much oil can be just as bad as not enough.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Originally posted by sid297
Also, you only need 6 qts. The dipstick is not very acurate so don't go by it. Remember, too much oil can be just as bad as not enough.

Yes your right it only calls for 6 in the book. easyier that way anyhow. If your really want to do your motor good keep oil changes frequent

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
my daily drivers we change at 2000 miles since we pound on miles. I have many that have gone over 300,000 rounds before I retired them. The cobra since its up on the lift after each weekends car show to wax to bottom I change that at 500 miles but oil is so cheap anyhow. Yea I know its pretty short interval but my other cars I do at 2,000 and recomend everyone I build motors for to do 2 also. You will have good luck with that.

03CobraCCC

Wheaton Warbird!
Established Member
im goin Mobile1 5W-30 as soon as the car comes out of hibernation from the winter....except i have a K&N oil filter for it waiting.....is this alright?

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
Anyone heard good/bad things about Royal Purple? I am running Mobil 1 5W30 Synthetic also (Bennet 306, TFS heads & intake, etc.) but wondered if the purple shit is any better.:shrug:

hmwave

Established Member
Just replaced the OEM oil with the Mobil 1 and a new Motorcraft 820 filter. Poured in exactly 6quarts.

It's near impossible to see on the dipstick as its appears clear. However looks like its sitting near max when I touch the dipstick to see where the oil come up to.

I'll run it a few miles and check the stick again.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Did you put oil in the filter before screwing it on and the the 3/4 of a quart can almost fit in the filter so that can change the level a small amount if you didnt run it so it was in a warm engine

hmwave

Established Member
No, just fitted the filter and then filled 'er up.

I've never pre-filled a filter before. Is that really necessary?

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
sure is! ford even does it on the assembly line for the engine plant with there handy dandy 2,000 dollar fixture, You can do the same by just tilting the oil bottle. But serioulsy its very important for the filter possibley comming apart from and hyd shock with oil hitting the filter media and air on the other side. and for keep the engine from a dry startup. Somtimes people will hear valvetrain clatter momentary till all the oil fills the system up.

hmwave

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra10thaniv
Oh I forgot to say also put a film of oil on the gasket before screwing it on

I did that.

So now I'm wondering if I should start the car at all given I didn't pre-fill the filter?

Can I safely remove the filter with 6quarts in the sump?

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
What do you all think of Valvoline 5W-30 Full Synthetic? My Dad always lived by that oil and personally I like it too, what do you guys think. One more question, is it normal to for the dipstick to read half between MAX and MIN? It has always done that since new and I put exactly six quarts in? Seems a little fishy

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
dont worry about the oil film this time just watch for leaks also it aids in the removal of the filter.

As far as the oil question there all really good oil these days there are top dogs ont he heap but the thing that people dont realise is the differance between them isnt much. It may look like it but in fact its really close.

The oils of today are so far differnt from the 70's you cant believe it. And the dip stick is reading perfect allows your room as with every measurement normally a +/- is given thats what you have.

If you didnt have space then everone would wig out if there oil level droped or if they put in just a little to much. Or the thought of checking the oil with the car hot vs cold with all the oil back to the pan. I think you understand where Im going with the thought of givin you a tolerance or range for a dip stick. Hope that helped

Users who are viewing this thread