Ford MP3 player?

ho779

Established Member
Anyone know if its possible to order a ford mp3 player? Is it even worth it? or would it be better to go with something aftermarket?

Friendchicken

Mach 1000 system can play MP3. It's a $1k option and I'd go with a nice aftermarket head unit for all that cash

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by 98kobra
Mach 1000 system can play MP3. It's a $1k option and I'd go with a nice aftermarket head unit for all that cash

Yea, but remember, the Mach 1000 also comes with 2 more amps and 2 12" subs....

svt-tmleader

Established Member
The Mach1000 is a $1295 option, it is NOT available on the Cobra and it does NOT play MP3's. There is a system available with the base stangs as a no-cost alternative called MachMP3. Completely diferent. Check out visteons wbesite, they have a system called the MP3 jukebox that would be cool, but I don't think it's available!

www.visteon.com

Friendchicken

More specifically off the Ford customise site...

"Your selection of MACH 460 Electronic AM/FM Stereo CD with In-Dash 6-CD Changer will change your price from $23,970.00 to $24,520.00 and will require the following changes:

-> AM/FM Stereo CD/MP3 with Clock will be replaced by MACH 460 Electronic AM/FM Stereo CD with In-Dash 6-CD Changer."

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by 98kobra
More specifically off the Ford customise site...

"Your selection of MACH 460 Electronic AM/FM Stereo CD with In-Dash 6-CD Changer will change your price from $23,970.00 to $24,520.00 and will require the following changes:

-> AM/FM Stereo CD/MP3 with Clock will be replaced by MACH 460 Electronic AM/FM Stereo CD with In-Dash 6-CD Changer."

Hmm...Silly question, but has anyone actually TRIED to play an MP3 disk in the CD player?

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
I tried to get the MACH1000 with my 03. The dealer said they tried upgrading one system on a GT and they said :nono: "never again".

Ford also has an MP3 player option that i didn't ask about. I figured that I can add an aftermarket unit for the same price AND get better sound. I swapped the head-unit out in my 99 Cobra with a high-end Kenwood unit and got a noticable increase in sound quality, plus it was tweekable enough to compensate for some weaknesses in the MACH system.

BTW- don't bother with an FM modulator, at least not the Audiovox POS i got. Sound quality is noticably below FM.

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
I tried an mp3 disk and it did not work. I know some of the lightnings have this capability

nuxx

Established Member
Sorry to bring up a dead topic, but has anyone tried Ford's mp3 head unit in our cars?

You can pick up the mp3 deck for < 200, just wondering if it is simple plug and play?
-Peter

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
How does the quality of MP3 compare to CDs?

Depends on the bitrate. Goes from AM radio level (<64) to around CD level (variable bitrate or 192K+). A "near CD quality" standard length song recorded at variable bitrate will take about 5 MB. You could get about 120 on each CD.

nuxx

Established Member
I have 15k mp3s, had a Kenwood mp3 deck in the 96, loved it.

You really can't tell with car audio (mach 460) between 128 - 320kbps. On a good set of home speakers or desktop speakers you sure can though.

I now get / rip everything to 192 cbr with LAME 3.92, sounds great.

I'm just wondering if it's a simple switch for the head units. If so... I'm off to the races. CD cases with 100 cds gets cumbersome, I'd rather just carry around a few mp3 cds.
-Peter

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread