Ford in Collusion Talks with VW

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I wonder if this will end up like Autolatina SA did. I am sure VW prefers having a non-UAW plant over a Ford-UAW plant.

I wonder what product would be built here. Ford will be building the Transit Connect within a couple of years in the USA. Does VW plan on badge engineering these and exporting them to Europe?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I posted about this in the GM plant closure thread. This is going to be the way of the future for manufacturers. Multiple products coming out of the same plant. There’s just no money to be made running at 70% capacity.

I can actually see a point where Ford, VW, GM, etc. don’t assemble their final products. They design and procure the parts and have a 3rd party assembler bolt it all together. That could introduce a lot of flexibility into the industry.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

CV355

_
Established Member
I can actually see a point where Ford, VW, GM, etc. don’t assemble their final products. They design and procure the parts and have a 3rd party assembler bolt it all together. That could introduce a lot of flexibility into the industry.

They are very close to that right now.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
With quality, affordable 3D printing on the horizon A LOT is going to change in car design, manufacturing, and production. Ford is on the front line with that tech too. Hell, manufacturing in almost every industry will change. It's going to be on par with the assembly line coming to fruition.

I posted about this in the GM plant closure thread. This is going to be the way of the future for manufacturers. Multiple products coming out of the same plant. There’s just no money to be made running at 70% capacity.

Stateguy

Established Member
Hasn’t Porsche done something similar in the past?

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member

A third party like Magna Steyr?

Hasn’t Porsche done something similar in the past?

Porsche assembled the Mercedes 500E/E500 back when Porsche was broke and MB was a bit over capacity.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
If there is a manufacturer that can handle it, its Ford. look at their Flat Rock facility just to name one. They were building Mazda 6's and Mustangs (GT500s included) down the same assembly line by the same workers.

I might be biased, but I think they build great cars there at Flat Rock.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
If there is a manufacturer that can handle it, its Ford. look at their Flat Rock facility just to name one. They were building Mazda 6's and Mustangs (GT500s included) down the same assembly line by the same workers.

I might be biased, but I think they build great cars there at Flat Rock.
It is important to note that Ford owned a large share of Mazda and that is how the AutoAllicance plant existed. Once Ford pulled out, Mazda removed their products from the plant. Ford has been reducing the shifts at plants and therefore the capacity at plants for the past year now. Now all of the sudden they are selling their excess capacity.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Makes 100% sense why Mazda was the partner at Flat Rock. Even still, it goes to show that Ford plants are capable of assembling vastly different products in the same factory, with the same workforce and machines if properly equipped.

It could be that VW does a large portion of body assembly and Ford factories would simply bolt them all up. Perhaps they get completed bodies from VW and simply need to paint them. then put them on the final assembly line where other preassembled components are shipped in from VW.

It could be reasonable to assume that the prior alliance Ford and VW were talking about could in fact be a way to make it easier for Ford plants to absorb VW production with Ford/VW partnership engineered products.

Users who are viewing this thread