Ford Gt vs Mclaren 720s - dig and roll race

Kiohtee

Established Member
Do we have hard 1/4 mile numbers on a NFGT? Because it looks to be a 130-133MPH car, considering the 720S is a 140-142MPH car and it was pulling pretty hard.

God I want to run a 720S!

blk02edge

Established Member
You guys are nuts if you think that the GT automatically beats the 720 on a road course. It has laid down some ridiculous times so far.

The even more crazy thing, the 720 is their regular "every day" hyper car, that anyone can buy, and isn't even their track focused model. We won't even bring in Mac's version of a limited edition track weapon into the discussion.
I dont think the GT is necessarily faster or even as fast, I would probably pay to see what it can do at Laguna with Randy alongside a ZR1 though. The Senna will for sure decimate any and all factory street legal cars and I highly doubt a US company will come close any time soon

08mojo

Established Member
Yeah, the GT will appreciate in value as time goes on. The 720S' value will fall off a cliff as time passes. In a couple more years, we'll be seeing SVTP-ers posting threads about "I Got A 720S!" left and right like they do/did with the C6 Z06 and ZR1 (and GTR).

As soon as a 720S drops to $50-60k, I'm in!

It would be nice if Ford would sponsor the Mustang in the Le Mans class.

The mustang is not/would not be competitive in the GTLM class. They'd have to pull a BS entry like BMW does: completely different suspension setup, nothing even remotely close to the street driven car. There's a really big reason the GT is on the WEC circuit and not the mustang.

SVTFastBack

Established Member
The new NFGT is a gimmick, sure all that engineering went into it and selling you that the price is worth it. All they did was use the name as the come buy me pitch... they should have just made an entirely new name for the car and left GT alone. At this point I think Koenigsegg is more GT then Fords NFGT. Hell Christian even used Ford power plants in the originals.. because they deserved V8's, no matter what it looks like, Ford GT's should be V8's period, they are basically neutering the car, there is no heritage in the new one..

blk02edge

Established Member
The new NFGT is a gimmick, sure all that engineering went into it and selling you that the price is worth it. All they did was use the name as the come buy me pitch... they should have just made an entirely new name for the car and left GT alone. At this point I think Koenigsegg is more GT then Fords NFGT. Hell Christian even used Ford power plants in the originals.. because they deserved V8's, no matter what it looks like, Ford GT's should be V8's period, they are basically neutering the car, there is no heritage in the new one..
100% wrong, the 05/06 GT was a gimmick. The NGT is literally exactly what a ford gt is. Just re-read the history of the gt40 and say that again lol

-very few built to road spec at an unobtainable price
-built for lemans as a grudge..

The 05/06 never even raced

SVTFastBack

Established Member
"history" you know what else went along with it.. people went for some pure sound which NGT does not put out. Yes its better then the 05-06.. or is it.. I still don't see the NGT being one of the fastest mile cars in the world 15 years from now, also at least with the 05-06 you can actually build it. With the new one they don't even want you touching anything so performance value of aftermarket is the bottom of the trash can. Back in the day if you were at Le-Mans with the original GT and it broke and had to pit.. they fixed it because it was a mechanical beast, something you could wrench on. The NGT you cannot. I know it's just my opinion but I really think the GT name should have been reserved for something better instead of attempting to brand a new vehicle when there isn't much you can do with it aftermarket wise. Before Shelby died about 4-5 years before I was in Vegas and met him, he stopped by Dream Racing in Vegas when I was with a few friends playing around in some cars and aside from overpriced signatures he was very cool to talk with. The conversation was awesome, he was awesome. He also made sure that people should know if they want to race and such that it's as much of a spectator sport as a race sport "duh". One thing really stood with me, as a race car it should excite people to cheer at the top of their lungs as they pass because drivers can hear the cheering which makes them drive harder. That's all he said about it. NGT... just turns heads because of its exotic look, but if you're around the corner and hear one revving w/o seeing it, yeah you probably wouldn't give a **** or even go look. Yes the new GT is the better race car but it doesn't draw the fans, at a cars and coffee in L.A there was a blue one that people just walked right past, imo they are just really not entertaining and just eye candy and all the videos I've watched on YouTube they look boring to drive to. But like I said its just my opinion.

blk02edge

Established Member
So you are mad cuz v6. "Something better" "boring to drive" just lol

Last edited:

SVTFastBack

Established Member
I have no reason to be mad I wasn't one of the idiots who paid $450,000 that the new ZR1 would even smash for a fraction of the price and still sounds better. NFGT is a s***pile.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
That is exactly how the NGT happened. Ford was heading down the road with project "silver" with the intent to take it to LeMans. Luckily the "pulled the chute". I was at the presentation mentioned, and they showed slides of frontal area etc. Was an amazing presentation.

Ford GT Owes Existence To Cancelled 'Project Silver' Mustang

It would be nice if Ford would sponsor the Mustang in the Le Mans class.

Agreed 1000%

Different stokes

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
9.7@145 is ****ing absurd for a stock vehicle.

Good God. What a beast.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... The 05/06 never even raced

It actually was, and still is, raced by a few private race teams. If I'm not mistaken, it has exactly 0 wins on the professional circuit; IMSA, PWC, etc. But yeah, the '05/'06 GT was purely an homage vehicle that wealthy owners could use for occasional club racing. It wasn't meant to be an all out race car, and that's probably why Ford didn't back it. The closest they came to sanctioning it was on par with patting the teams on the head and saying "Bless your hearts for trying."

blk02edge

Established Member
It actually was, and still is, raced by a few private race teams. If I'm not mistaken, it has exactly 0 wins on the professional circuit; IMSA, PWC, etc. But yeah, the '05/'06 GT was purely an homage vehicle that wealthy owners could use for occasional club racing. It wasn't meant to be an all out race car, and that's probably why Ford didn't back it. The closest they came to sanctioning it was on par with patting the teams on the head and saying "Bless your hearts for trying."
I know, but private vs factory is apples and oranges.

Users who are viewing this thread