Ford GM Stellantis UAW Strike

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A seemingly reasonable take until you start thinking about it more. Is that the profit attributable to the UAW workers products? Do non-UAW employees that are also responsible for this profit get to share in this as well? Does everyone worldwide get to share in this profit sharing? Do they have to give back if there is a loss in the future?

I really don't care as I assume the leaders of these companies are a bunch of greedy d-bags, but I am tired of all the whiny bitches in the world. Don't like the pay of your job. Ok, go get another one like everyone else. JFC there are so many whiny little bitches in this world.

Exactly.

The $5k/week number is generated by the company...but only divided out by UAW members.

GM has 58,000 white collar employees and 46,000 UAW employees.

Also, I'm not arguing that UAW employees don't make profit...but profit isn't made in the production line, it's made in the labor and parts negotiations, tax decisions, location decisions, import/export decisions, etc. That is where the VAST majority of that money is made or lost.

02reaper

Established Member
Very interested to see who lands a tentative 1st.

Back of the envelope math from GMs quarter yesterday is the company PROFITS $5,000 per employee, per week.

That’s quite a bit of wiggle room.
And not based of revenue…but profit.

Fain is right… the money is there.
So how much profit is left over for the company per employee if the UAW got everything it asked for?

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Exactly.

The $5k/week number is generated by the company...but only divided out by UAW members.

GM has 58,000 white collar employees and 46,000 UAW employees.

Also, I'm not arguing that UAW employees don't make profit...but profit isn't made in the production line, it's made in the labor and parts negotiations, tax decisions, location decisions, import/export decisions, etc. That is where the VAST majority of that money is made or lost.
Yep. Not aware of much white collar salary increase in this inflation bitch fest over the last 2 years. Yes, it sucks. Deal.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Rough math

GM has 167,000 employees worldwide.
GM Site

If they are making $5,000 profit per employee per week = 167,000 X $5,000 = $835,000,000 per week in PROFIT. Of course the UAW contributes 100% of that.

52 week per year X 835,000,000 per week = $43,420,000,000 profit per year. Last I check, they make ~1/4 of that in current economic environment.

Love the UAW's gorilla math and their membership who actually believes it. Make's them look even more stupid

Last edited:

02reaper

Established Member
Rough math

GM has 167,000 employees worldwide.
GM Site

If they are making $5,000 profit per employee per week = 167,000 X $5,000 = $835,000,000 per week in PROFIT.

52 week per year X 835,000,000 per week = $43,420,000,000 profit per year. Last I check, they make ~1/4 of that in current economic environment.

Love the UAW's gorilla math and their membership who actually believes it. Make's them look even more stupid
He must only be figuring in members of the UAW. Do the math on that and see what it is. I'm curious.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
He must only be figuring in members of the UAW. Do the math on that and see what it is. I'm curious.
Convenient figures for sure. Make's for great headlines.

Based on 12Cobra's 46,000 employee, you get ~$12B per year. That has roughly been GM's net income recently, which the union has contribute 100% of that to be sure. Problem is, there are 3X more employees all contributing to that as well.

It's still ridiculous math and an absurd conclusion.

The facts say that the domestic's are doing well to hit a 10% gross margin. Typically they are 5-8%. To every other industry, those are atrocious margins. It's a very capital intensive business, that has to make BIG bets YEARS in the future, with no guarantees. Make bad investments, or lock themselves into high fixed cost structures and the economy turns south, can spell the kiss of death. For christ's sake, does everyone have amnesia? Look back to '08-'09. Does anyone want to repeat that???

Last edited:

q6543

Established Member
Yeah I was just accounting for UAW workers. My math wasn’t perfect, hearing ford was up all night long to make a deal.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Rumor as of today....possibility of being off from Thansgiving till the end of the year. They best get their shit together.

02reaper

Established Member
Yeah I was just accounting for UAW workers. My math wasn’t perfect, hearing ford was up all night long to make a deal.
I heard Ford was using a nondisclosed amount of non union workers to run the Kentucky plant.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Is this for you at Bosch??? How reliable are civilian rumors vs Navy ones from the "smoke pit"???
Yeah at Bosch and what we just got told 30 minutes ago in a meeting that IN HIS OPINION something is going to give at work if they don't go back to work. The supply line of injectors is full ahead of us.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
My old boss in Charleston at Boeing when I worked there told a story when he worked at Boeing in Everette. Said they went on strike and Boeing fired them all. Started training new people and said if they wanted a job there it would cost them a lower pay. Most of them took as he did.

Users who are viewing this thread