Ford GM Stellantis UAW Strike

robvas

Established Member
According to the industry experts on CNBC, the price of a UAW-assembled car will go up 4% because of this. So that $60,000 F150 will now be $62,400

What's the 32 hour work week mean? They get overtime at 32 hours instead of 40? They can only work 32? They work 32 and get paid for 40?

How much do Tesla employees make? One website says $17-$22 an hour and then another says $108,000 a year including bonus.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You are the expert so I certainly will/would give you the chance to explain, BUT why should any of us buy an F-150 which is built with (Michigan) union labor vs a Tundra that is built in San Antonio.

Nevermind GM and Stellantis with their Mexico bullshit.

I'd definitely like to support a US manufacturer but it's getting harder and harder to do so.

Besides the fact that the F-150 is the #1 selling vehicle in the country?

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
You are the expert so I certainly will/would give you the chance to explain, BUT why should any of us buy an F-150 which is built with (Michigan) union labor vs a Tundra that is built in San Antonio.

Nevermind GM and Stellantis with their Mexico bullshit.

I'd definitely like to support a US manufacturer but it's getting harder and harder to do so.

I could get being upset over Ford's EV or ecoboost push while the 5.0 gets next to no upgrades except cylinder deactivation downgrade.
But, I don't care if a union member makes my truck or not as long as it's made in the US.

q6543

Established Member
I’m UAW, I don’t think we will strike either just rhetoric.

I will say the younger people in my plant WANT to strike.
They make $16-18 per hour and do the same jobs as people that make $32 with a pension.
It’s a bitter pill to swallow for sure.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

They make $16-18 per hour and do the same jobs as people that make $32 with a pension.

I think Fain is trying to show membership he's on their side, and he's doing so by taking it to the max... personal opinion.

The two tiered system is bullshit. That needs to be corrected. Maybe have them 180 days or so before they get paid top wage and a pension? It's hard to keep anyone there if they're making just over minimum wage.

Which plant are you at? Feel free to PM if you'd feel more comfortable.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
They need to get over the hard fact that pensions are gone and never coming back. Learn to BUDGET and save for your own retirement like the vast vast majority of everyone else. You may not be able to have that boat, side-by-side, big house, lake house, 3 X 72mo car payments, etc. AND save for retirement with a 32hrs/week manufacturing job. Not making this up. Live in MI near car country and see this every single day.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Didn't they see what happened to Yellow? Haha, who cares I guess. Let the unions control everything, should work out just fine!

Dom, I'm not so sure we'd notice any difference over the thieves (management & politicians) running the show now.

Who's making them work there Jason? We know. No one.

Those young people got no skin in the game either if the strike lasts weeks or months.

Crossing picket lines ain't no fun for office & technical people either. I know.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Did not the union know about this provision when they apparently agreed to this in the last contract? Perhaps those $32 pensioners could help them out since they voted for it? LMAO. No problem here with them trying to get more, but once the usual demonization starts that is when I say **** off.

q6543

Established Member
I’m at Michigan assembly.
I was just sharing the attitude I hear from a few dozen people in my area.
I just found it interesting how gung ho some of the younger people are to strike.

It’s a young plant as they recently added 2nd shift a few years ago, so there is probably 1500 or more tier 2 workers.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member

I think that's b.s. to do that to someone, but I am having a hard time understanding in why did the membership vote in the first place to accept that? Every single item in the current contract was approved by the workers, over the course of multiple contract negotiations.

The true answer is the whole claim of solidarity is a bunch crap. It's every man for himself to get what they can get.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I’m at Michigan assembly.
I was just sharing the attitude I hear from a few dozen people in my area.
I just found it interesting how gung ho some of the younger people are to strike.

It’s a young plant as they recently added 2nd shift a few years ago, so there is probably 1500 or more tier 2 workers.

Got it.

Young people are the ones getting hammered with the two wage system, and let's face it...young people want to feel like their voices are being heard. They don't have a war to fight, so they'll push back on the manufacturers.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
COLA + negotiated wage bump

Workers are are reportedly asking for cost-of-living adjustments, which were suspended in 2007 when the American public bailed out the auto giants amid the Great Recession. The “COLA” adjustments (as UAW workers refer to them) date back to the ’50s. These are guaranteed raises matching the rate of inflation in the U.S., which are meant to maintain parity between worker pay and their living expenses.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Besides the fact that the F-150 is the #1 selling vehicle in the country?
Yup, and there is a good reason for that.

Unless i found a smoking deal on a 4wd, V8 GM or Ram truck (smoking deals don't really exist anymore though) it's really down to Tundra or F-150, V8 only.

Just wanted a bit of input on why the F-150 is a better choice.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Just because the Tundra is the fugliest truck ever built, and no v8 option.
Missed this until now. Looks are subjective though I agree the latest Tundra has a dumb front end.

I'm not swinging $65k+ for a new truck even though I could (just wouldn't be the smartest decision) so I'd be looking at a few years old. I know the iForce V8 was getting a bit long in the tooth prior to the recent redesign whereas Ford kept updating the Coyote.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Yup, and there is a good reason for that.

Unless i found a smoking deal on a 4wd, V8 GM or Ram truck (smoking deals don't really exist anymore though) it's really down to Tundra or F-150, V8 only.

Just wanted a bit of input on why the F-150 is a better choice.

The deals are out there. Crew with V8. Ford Crew with V8 takes you up to $45,000 around here.

1693393472686.png

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Missed this until now. Looks are subjective though I agree the latest Tundra has a dumb front end.

I'm not swinging $65k+ for a new truck even though I could (just wouldn't be the smartest decision) so I'd be looking at a few years old. I know the iForce V8 was getting a bit long in the tooth prior to the recent redesign whereas Ford kept updating the Coyote.

I kept reading on Silverado pages that some switched back to the V8 Tundra and had no issues with it. Which makes sense since that engine was around since the stone age.
Just found it crazy the EPA has it's MPG worse than a 2017+ Raptor on 35's.
On an engine that is #4 in HP/TRQ among the V8 selections from Ram, Ford and Chevy(6.2L).

Users who are viewing this thread