Ford Escape vs RAV4 bs CX5

slowtealz28

Established Member
All would be 2017s. Curious if anyone here seems to have an opinion on any of the three. Looks like the RAV4 is a boring drive and interior doesn't seem as authentic as the Escape. The Escape has better reviews than the RAV, and the cx5 has the best but I don't know squat about mazdas. If we got the Escape would likely get the 1.5 ecoboost. Seems like Ford will be the best price. Escape has more complaints than the rav. Thoughts?

Stopsign32v

Established Member
I'm in the same boat as you. Mazda CX-5 is called the sports car of the compact SUVs.

I rented a 2016 Nissan Rouge and loved it. But after reviewing it Nissan dealerships are known to **** owners and the transmission goes out like spark plugs apparently.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I'm in the same boat as you. Mazda CX-5 is called the sports car of the compact SUVs.

I rented a 2016 Nissan Rouge and loved it. But after reviewing it Nissan dealerships are known to **** owners and the transmission goes out like spark plugs apparently.
Anything with a CVT will give you issues at some point.

BigFatMatt

Ain't never gonna change
Established Member
We had a 2005 Freestyle with a CVT that worked flawlessly for 180,000 miles (fluid changed twice). As far as I know it's still going strong. So I wouldn't say all CVTs will have issues. Ours was a great car.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
2017 Escape with the 2.0T has my interest currently. I just think the interior vs others would feel real rental car'ish

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Just picked up in the December a 2.0 eco-boost for the wife all wheel drive and the winter package.

She absolutely loves it and the few times I have driven it the power is really good. Fit finish and quality is excellent the only thing she is disappointed about is she went from a Ford focus that got 30 miles to the gallon and now she is getting about 20 miles to the gallon because it is all-wheel-drive.

We leased it because it is her first SUV and she wasn't sure if she would like it. It was an end-of-the-year deal zero down, $300 per month for three years and the buyout at the end is 15 grand. The sticker was $27k

Overall very happy with it.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
We are in the same boat, but the wife has dropped the Escape since it's only 4 star crash rated. We are looking at used and the 3 she has settled on is the CX-5, Honda CR-V and Acura RDX.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
The 1.5 EB is a new engine, I would avoid it until we know how good it will be.

nxhappy

Established Member
EB motor will destroy those other turds with a tune ....

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
We had a 2005 Freestyle with a CVT that worked flawlessly for 180,000 miles (fluid changed twice). As far as I know it's still going strong. So I wouldn't say all CVTs will have issues. Ours was a great car.
Very lucky lol. Subaru's are having issues with theirs along with Nissan. Nissans CVT is nothing short of pathetic.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I have a 2015 Escape and IMHO it is the best of the lot. I will be replacing it with either another escape or an edge. I bought it new and so far zero issues with it. took it on a 1800 mile trip running 80--85 most of the way running the AC and averaged 23.9mph.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

04MysticCobra

Established Member
I had a 2014 Escape SE 2.0 Ecoboost for 2 years 24,000 miles and it was perfect with no issues. Traded for a new Edge.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Picked up a 2017 Escape Titanium with the FWD 2.0L Eco for the wifey late last year. Great car, it feels like a larger version of my ST. The interior is pretty nice for the price range and the features are great. The self paralell and tandem parking is nuts.

webby092

Established Member
We had a 2013 escape 2.0. Was the biggest POS we ever owned. Bought in 2015, hatch was starting to rust out, Ford wouldn't help, gas gauge was inaccurate, read 4-5 gallons off, numerous recalls, recalled for BCM failing, recalled for stalling while driving - that was fixed, then it continued to stall while driving. After we got it back from the dealership, it shifted so hard it stopped the car and all warning lights came back on. Dealership had to re-fix and car was never right after that. Traded that POS off after 9 months. Our 2 choices were CX5 and RAV4 SE. CX5 was tight in the back for a rear facing car seat, but absolutely loved otherwise. We got a 16 RAV4 SE and love it. Sporty enough for a baby hauler, and gets upper 20's mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread