Ford adding jobs in the U.S.

no cigar

I want a $944 camera!
Established Member
This is pretty cool. Props to Ford. It would be nice if they would be able to hire non-union though. Hell, I can't help but imagine if all the offshoring companies brought their jobs back to the US and put this damn country to work. Ahhh what a pipe dream!

LaFlavor

Established Member
Yeah, in Chicago, home of the Kenyan usurper.

*Sigh* I'm sure that was the reason. Thanks for your input. It was valuable and much appreciated. I'm sure you could have an excellent and mentally stimulating discussion on the topic in a separate thread over in the politics section.

How many jobs are be lost at Louisville, where the Explorer is currently produced?

All it said was that they would be retooling the Louisville plant for smaller vehicles. Hopefully that means there won't be many, if any, jobs lost, and that Ford is just trying to increase their capacity due to an expected up-tick in demand. Other than that, I simply don't know.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Last edited:

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
How many jobs are be lost at Louisville, where the Explorer is currently produced?

No jobs will be lost at Louisville, that plant will be converted to build a c-car type vehicle. C-car is a Focus sized vehicle. I don't know which car they will build but Ford will release that in due time. The new Explorer will be based off the Taurus chassis. A unibody chassis Explorer, the way forward.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
The Ranger plant will probably be getting the axe too.

Correct, Ford extended their production until 2011 or 2012 I can't remember which. Twin cities was supposed to be closed already but there's no replacement for the Ranger yet. I have a 2008 Ranger and it's a nice truck. Ranger sales are way down from what they used to be.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Correct, Ford extended their production until 2011 or 2012 I can't remember which. Twin cities was supposed to be closed already but there's no replacement for the Ranger yet. I have a 2008 Ranger and it's a nice truck. Ranger sales are way down from what they used to be.

The funny thing is that the Ranger has been basically the same since 1998 and it still outsells most of its competitors.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
dont forget theres 2 Louisville plants. One is was retooled last year and produces all the trucks, expeditions, etc. (its about 4 miles from me) and the other is being converted for the smaller vehicles (about 15 miles from me)

LaFlavor

Established Member
The funny thing is that the Ranger has been basically the same since 1998 and it still outsells most of its competitors.

One would think with the new turbocharging they are doing, the rangers could see some significant boots. I suppose the chassis might be a limitation, though.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
dont forget theres 2 Louisville plants. One is was retooled last year and produces all the trucks, expeditions, etc. (its about 4 miles from me) and the other is being converted for the smaller vehicles (about 15 miles from me)

KTP (kentucky truck, F-250, F-350, expeditions) and LAP (louisville assembly being retooled as you said).

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
One would think with the new turbocharging they are doing, the rangers could see some significant boots. I suppose the chassis might be a limitation, though.

The only limitation for the Ranger at increased power level is traction. I had a v-8 ranger back in the day. It was a 1986 Ranger originally a 2.3 liter 4 cylinder. I put a 289 with a mild cam, holley 600 4 barrel with vacuum secondary's, c-4 transmission made it go. The stock 7.5 rearend lasted a while then it puked. I put a radiator out of an explorer in it and all the necessary brackets for a serpentine belt came off a junkyard crown vic. It roasted the tires bad in 1st gear. It was fast but not fast at all compared to my Cobra.

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
That plant is being converted over to produce smaller vehicles that share the same platform as the Focus.

Who knows what the net result will be after the retooling.

Ford to add 1,200 jobs -- some at new, lower wage | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

On a side note, does anyone know what the next Explorer will look like? I heard it will be a unibody.

Similar to this:

explorer-3-4-front-ant-1k-copy.jpg

Supposedly it will have full time AWD with a choice of EcoBoost 4-cylinder or EcoBoost V6.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member

You mean 1983? Seriously....it's the same truck. Its a good thing though, they got it right after all those years. 89k on my 05 and she has never needed any work (besides brakes and tires). :rockon:

AAG

Established Member

Such a great truck that's been neglected by Ford for so many years. Is there not a market for small pickups anymore?

Users who are viewing this thread