Forced induction: what have you broke

jlwdvm

Established Member
Thinking about getting a super charger for my 2011. Already did all the suspension mods from Strano, Bama tune, etc. Was wondering what the Coyote drive train can handle. Will be street, road course, and autocross car. I was thinking about the 2013 Boss or Shelby, but the $15-20k to trade turned me off a little.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
With low boost and a good tune you won't run too much of a risk of damage. If you're going to be tracking a boosted car I'd suggest upgrading the radiator, adding the Boss tranny cooler and oil cooler, and upgrading the differential with the TSB axle vent.

implosive

Established Member
The ONLY thing I have broken with my supercharged 2012 is the other drivers spirit in my rear view mirror.

Entrenched

Established Member
Bent the fingers on the stock pressure plate and screwed up the slave cylinder. Broke two Eaton True Tracs. Destroyed my stock driveshaft (definitely get a d/s loop).

DSCN7036.jpg

Mike50

Established Member
Thinking about getting a super charger for my 2011. Already did all the suspension mods from Strano, Bama tune, etc. Was wondering what the Coyote drive train can handle. Will be street, road course, and autocross car. I was thinking about the 2013 Boss or Shelby, but the $15-20k to trade turned me off a little.

Keeping it under 600 RWHP seems to be considered "safe" by most people. I don't think a whole lot of people have broken stuff with less than this and 10 lbs. of boost or less.

Entrenched, you sold your 5.0? That was possibly the nicest looking red 5.0 I have ever seen. :(

Entrenched

Established Member
It was official on Tuesday of last week. GT500 should be here in Late June/Early July...going to finish the Cobra in the mean time.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member

With low boost and a good tune you won't run too much of a risk of damage. If you're going to be tracking a boosted car I'd suggest upgrading the radiator, adding the Boss tranny cooler and oil cooler, and upgrading the differential with the TSB axle vent.

jlwdvm - basically what SID297 says, plus install a GT500/Boss differential cover. It's aluminum with cooling fins and a proper tapped hole for the axle breather location at the top where it can't leak. Instead of installing the TSB breather, which leaked on my car, installing the GT500 cover allows you to replace the original breather with a solid plug. Just remove the original breather on the axle tube, pop the cap off of it, run its central vent hole through with an M6x1.0 tap and plug it with an M6x20 bolt and screw it back on the axle. THEN, it'll never leak!

Last edited:

32ValveSymphony

Established Member
This thread would be a lot more useful if people would list their mods and rwhp. Some boosted cars are putting down 500 while some are putting down over 700. :shrug:

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
Yea, I'd be real curious to know who broke anything (and what) with ONLY the supercharger -- or perhaps just the SC and some modest changes like tune or intake. As others have said, HP is an addiction, and folks rarely seem satsfied with only the SC. Then, they start pumping it up and things are bound to break.

Mike50

Established Member
Yea, I'd be real curious to know who broke anything (and what) with ONLY the supercharger -- or perhaps just the SC and some modest changes like tune or intake. As others have said, HP is an addiction, and folks rarely seem satsfied with only the SC. Then, they start pumping it up and things are bound to break.
I would like to know if anyone broke anything with 600 RWHP or less? A list of mods, tune, HP, etc. for those who broke something would be very helpful for people who are trying to maximize performance while staying on the safe side.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member

What is going to "pump it up" more than forced induction? :shrug:

FYI, you can't install ONLY a supercharger. You need a tune and most likely some supporting fuel mods otherwise you are guaranteed to break things very quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread