For you guys with painted calipers

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
likely just painted them....u might want to think about a powdercoat job.

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
Just used a basic gloss black spray can and brushed the "Cobra" Letters in white. Never had any problem with wear after a couple years.

DSC00059.jpg

Last edited:

Snakestress

Drag Queen
Established Member
you might want to try to sand it a little bit and then apply the caliper paint kit (you can get it from autozone or checkers). I have both painted on the cobra and the L and it holds up pretty good.

x_man586

Going to UTI
Established Member
I used the Duplicolor paint kit from Autozone and bought a couple of extra cans of brake cleaner. It looked great, and lasted for about 3 years. I need to paint them again. This time I am going to use primer.

HIVOLTG

Go SKERS!
Established Member
Does anyone know, when you powdercoat them... can you just press the pistons out then put them back in once done??

04sonicL

Established Member
thanks for all the info guys, I dident know that they had a kit at autozone. About how much down time am I looking at? Do it one day and drive buy the next I would assume.

Enemy

Established Member
thanks for all the info guys, I dident know that they had a kit at autozone. About how much down time am I looking at? Do it one day and drive buy the next I would assume.

Kit's are like $15, and your only down time depends on how long it takes you to jack vehicle, remove wheel, paint and put everything back together

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
the kit says to let it cure for 24hrs. iv used this kit on my 05 chevy, 95 t/a, 86 camaro and 89 chevy w/o letting it cure for 24hrs and never had an issue. put a good 3 coats on and you will have people asking where you got them powder coated at :banana:

Brahmus

SVT Cajun
Established Member
Does anyone know, when you powdercoat them... can you just press the pistons out then put them back in once done??

Yes, but you don't have to press them. I put a LITTLE!!! air pressure through the hole and they came out. I was going to powder coat them, but no I'm blasting them at work and will hit them with a few coats of the VHT stuff and seal it with a clear gloss. Already have the paint and should hold up well until i upgrade!! haha

Bootbox

Established Member
Be careful powdercoating calipers if anyone decides to go that route. If you don't get every rubber seal and o-ring out they will be ruined in the powdercoating oven and leak fluid when re-installed. Happened on my buddies car and they didn't sell the seal separately, he had to buy new calipers.

Users who are viewing this thread