For those who fixed the oil cooler leak... (Filter Stud Removal ???)

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
Moderator pulled my post from the original posting, so by it's self it may come off as unusual. Especially when I used a 7 year old posting here in this section.

......................................................................................................................

I tried searching everywhere but came up "empty", and this posting is very similar except....

I have a 2000 Explorer 4.0L SOHC engine & did an oil change But the filter stud/tube came right off with the oil filter.

But there's no provision for any oil ring(s), just a straight 1-inch tube/stud.

I tried hand tightening the tube/stud back onto the oil cooler plus hand-tighten the filter. Started it up, no leaks or funny sounds.

I drove for about 20 minutes & 5 or so miles afterward.

When I returned home, I Check the oil level & on ground below.
No leaks, oil level the same & no burnt oil smell.

What do you all think?
Am okay?
Any useful links?
Guessing I should check the "tightness" of the new oil filter after a round trip from work?

Last edited:

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I looked up seal kits for your engine and all I see is one round seal that goes between your oil cooler and the block. There are no O-rings listed...

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
I looked up seal kits for your engine and all I see is one round seal that goes between your oil cooler and the block. There are no O-rings listed...

I didn't think so either-

So I got underneath it & found the filter is "tight" and no leaks.

Fired up the truck & it started up strong. Idled smoothly too with fresh oil...... for being +9F outside!

Users who are viewing this thread