For those searching for quiet exhaust

lachj1

Established Member
When I first got my car getting a decent average loudness type of exhaust was first on my list. I bought the Steeda, it was pretty good and it laid down 419.0 rwhp w/no pullies. When I did my solid axle swap I bought a new stinger system off ebay. At first I thought the loudness was awesome, I coulndn't get enough. Then one day I took a long cruise and the noise was getting to me. Call me a skirt for not wanting the noise!!. The stingers had to go. Before I got rid of the stingers I dynoed 423 rwhp. this may sound nuts but I cut out the stinger muffler sections and welded in Napa quiet flows from a direct replacement 96 cobra. It still sounds awesome with rumble, just the tones are less loud. I brought it back to the dyno and amazed that it did 421rwhp and torque was the same on all runs previously. So I don't think that the catback of brand is a big factor.

I just installed a 2.8 and the results were 448rwhp and 476 tq. I emailed cobrabob because I thought it might be low on hp's but he think's it's average and looking at all the sigs every one ranges from 450 to 470 rwhp. I dynoed on a humid day in the eighties so maybe there's a few missing hp #'s there.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hey buddy, it was nice chatting with you by email. Remember that a very hot/humid day will definitely affect your power on the dyno. I dynoed at Bristol (no mod changes) in July (around 90 degree and high humidity) and made 448rwhp and 460rwtq. Went back in October (temp in the mid to low 50s) and made 457rwhp and 480rwtq. Power increased by 9 but the torque jumped by 20. I hate hot and humid weather. I'm thinking now that your tune might just be fine where it is. I'm just concerned about your tuner saying you're maxxing out your meter.

One thing I forgot to ask you. How many pulls did you make and what were the numbers for each? I always made a minimum of 3 pulls and in almost every case the 3rd pull provided the best numbers.

I learned over time not to get hung up too much on dyno numbers due to the variables involved. The truth is that the track will usually be the place where your car's power will really be tested. That....and the driver. LOL!

One last thing, your torque number is very nice, especially since it came on that hot and humid day. By comparison, with my 2.90 upper our power numbers on comparable days are identical, but you're torque number is higher (460 compared to 476). Go back to the dyno on a cooler and dryer day and I'll bet you make 460rwhp and 490rwtq.

lachj1

Established Member
I made four runs. I'm using the xcal2. they gave me a safe tune to drive it to the dyno once I put the pulley on. 1st run was 436rwhp / 466 tq. Adjustment to a/f on 2nd run was 447 / 472 . 3rd run with timing adjustment 448 /476. 4th run more timing , I beleive 22* 447 / 474.

i'm going to try a bigger MAF next week. I don't know if it will help.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
lachj1 said:
I made four runs. I'm using the xcal2. they gave me a safe tune to drive it to the dyno once I put the pulley on. 1st run was 436rwhp / 466 tq. Adjustment to a/f on 2nd run was 447 / 472 . 3rd run with timing adjustment 448 /476. 4th run more timing , I beleive 22* 447 / 474.

i'm going to try a bigger MAF next week. I don't know if it will help.
It certainly isn't going to hurt to upgrade your meter because you're going to peg it sooner or later. Are you considerly the MAFXtender? Or SCT?

lachj1

Established Member
I'm getting the Maf Throught the dyno shop. the SCT was out of stock so I'm getting a Pro-m ? I think that's what it is and hope it's good.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would have gone with the SCT but the Pro-M is a good choice IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread