For those of you currently unemployed... hold on, it will turn around..

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
I went through a 8 month period of unemployment last year after being laif off from my job in April 2009. I posted about it here:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...nks-unemployed-last-night-about-10-00-pm.html

I used up all my unemployment benefits, and had several good interviews, but nothing seemed to pan out. This went on until December when I received to offers. I made my choice and haven't been happier at any job than I am today.

We lost almost everything during the lay-off, and had lost all hope of ever recovering, but we made it through.

I just wanted to share this with fellow SVTP members that are currently in the same situation I found myself in last year. It will get better, just keep plugging away, and don't resign yourself to being depressed.

Good luck to you in your job search! :beer:

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Could be. A good friend has been laid off from IT for 2 years, and until last week, hardly got any response to resumes and applications. In the last two weeks, he's had 9 phone calls and 3 interviews.

RedDemon91

Established Member
Kinda hard to keep hope when it's only two ppl under one roof and both have almost been unemployed for 2 years and have almost come face to face with homelessness. **** Obama and **** this economy.

Gdubb

current beer in fridge
Established Member
427 did you live in Houston and relocate for your job?

Kinda hard to keep hope when it's only two ppl under one roof and both have almost been unemployed for 2 years and have almost come face to face with homelessness. **** Obama and **** this economy.

Keep your head and spirits up, it will come around.

buckinwild

Established Member
Soon to be here, just got the official notification thursday. Sometime between now and Nov 1st. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Last edited:

saleen2002

Established Member
man i am in the sf bayarea and i have been unemployeed for two years. sucks big time. ive put in countless apps and sent my resume out so many times and get little to no response. i keep hearing keep your head up and hope but its pretty easy to get discouraged. i really do hope that some thing does come about.

sweetcobra1

Established Member
Same boat.Unemployed for 9 months but things have finally started to work out.Had an interview at Bankers Life and Casulty, not what I went to school for but u have to do what u have to do.Im in the process of having to get licensed for the job.Good luck to everybody hope everything works out.:beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is encouraging and good news Doug. You can never give up hope.

Question. Has anyone given any thought to all the jobs we have sent overseas (and continue to do so), and how our job markets in America have imploded? In other words, we might very well have more workers than we have jobs now. If that is true, unless we don't stop sending jobs overseas the problem could get worse, until we create new job markets. Opinions?

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
Tobacco industry?

No, I work for a fashion / retail company, Polo Ralph Lauren. I stayed in I.T. but left the technology companies due to the job instability withinin those companies. I was with HP for 8 years and then Rackspace for about a year previous to my lay off, but have never loved working at a company until now.

That is encouraging and good news Doug. You can never give up hope.

Question. Has anyone given any thought to all the jobs we have sent overseas (and continue to do so), and how our job markets in America have imploded? In other words, we might very well have more workers than we have jobs now. If that is true, unless we don't stop sending jobs overseas the problem could get worse, until we create new job markets. Opinions?

Bob, I have thought about it for years. When I was at HP I lost many of my staff to off-shoring / near-shoring initiatives pushed on us by executive leadership. I saw the effects from inception to completion and knew the whole time it was a doomed effort. I was correct, but that did not prevent the executives from throwing money at it to make it look like a success on paper, even if in reality it wasn't.

The I.T. support industry is in very bad shape, especially within technology companies, and it will not improve without a change of mindset from the executive level.

I think the key for I.T. professionals currently looking for work is to steer clear of the technology companies and look within other industries for I.T. positions. Many of them are doing their support in house, or are in sourcing their support as they discover it is less expensive than keeping it outsourced.

As far as their being more workers than jobs, I think that is true to an extent, but it depends upon the type of job, and the sector you are looking in. As I indicated previously, I feel there are plenty of available positions within I.T., but not where I.T. professionals have traditionally looked in the past.

ModularFan

Established Member
I've been layed off for a couple of months now. The only thing seeming to be available is temp/seasonal jobs, I can't work for 2-3 months and having to keep finding another job, it gets old after a while.

xenodragon

Established Member
Anyone that is in I.T. should go look at an accounting (big 4, larson allen, grant thorton, etc) firm for IT audit work. They are looking for people big time...ususally as long as you have the IT background you can do an audit.

JasonSnake

Established Member
Tomorrow I start my contract job for 4-5 months. I've worked with them before back in Nov through Jan this year. I'm still a little surprised that they called me instead of finding another Joe since it's been over half a year but maybe they can't find someone that can learn the ropes fast enough. At this point, however, I'm not really looking forward to becoming a fulltimer there as it is only by contract.

Also, I'm becoming a little bored of trying to get my foot into I.T. and really starting to think about going back to college for something else. I love doing computer stuff for myself, but losing interest in working for the industry.

Users who are viewing this thread