For the writers on here

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I know several of us write. I just found out Amazon Kindle has something new: Kindle Vella. It's made for serialized short stories of 600-5,000 words.

If you're like me, you have tons of stuff you have written in blaze of inspiration, ... that didn't fit anywhere, in any story you were working on. If it is set in one particular "world," Kindle Vella was made for that.

I posted ten short scenes, stuff I've saved for years because, while I liked it, it didn't fit any particular story. They just went live, and whaddaya know? People are reading them!

Kindle Vella Library. You keep the rights. People get to see your work. In the biggest writer's market there is, these days.

Check it out.

OK: shameless plug: And if you're interested, look up an author named James Snover. It's my Excentrifugal Engineering stuff.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I know several of us write. I just found out Amazon Kindle has something new: Kindle Vella. It's made for serialized short stories of 600-5,000 words.

If you're like me, you have tons of stuff you have written in blaze of inspiration, ... that didn't fit anywhere, in any story you were working on. If it is set in one particular "world," Kindle Vella was made for that.

I posted ten short scenes, stuff I've saved for years because, while I liked it, it didn't fit any particular story. They just went live, and whaddaya know? People are reading them!

Kindle Vella Library. You keep the rights. People get to see your work. In the biggest writer's market there is, these days.

Check it out.

OK: shameless plug: And if you're interested, look up an author named James Snover. It's my Excentrifugal Engineering stuff.
Do you get paid?

Sent from my Potato

quad

Established Member
For some reason your post reminded me of Clint Eastwood in Unforgiven haha!

BEAUCHAMP
(raising his hands in surrender)
No. Look, I'm not. I don't have a gun. I've never had a gun. I write. I'm a writer.

MUNNY
(Begins re-loading the rifle)
A writer?

BEAUCHAMP
Yes.

MUNNY
Letters and such?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nick, I found this info with Google. James can confirm if this is true.

How Kindle Vella Will Work​

Here are the highlights of how authors will use the Vella platform and make earnings from it.

Authors will post episodes that can be between 600-5,000 words long. Authors are encouraged to post 5-10 episodes of their story before making them available, so that there is more for readers to chew on if they like the first episode.

The episode will include the text of the story, an image, keywords, and other meta data.

Authors will earn 50% of what readers pay to access their story. The first few episodes (Amazon hasn’t said exactly how many) will be free.

How will readers access the stories?​

Readers will be able to read the stories in the Kindle iOS app and on Amazon.com. If a reader likes the first few episodes of a story, they will be able to buy tokens which they can use to unlock further episodes.

How many tokens to unlock an episode? Each token will get you 100 words, so if an episode is 1,000 words, that will be 10 tokens.

The cost of tokens will depend on how many you buy at a time. For instance, 200 tokens will cost $1.99 and 1,700 tokens will cost $14.99.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Do you get paid?

Sent from my Potato
Yes. You get paid by the number of reads per episode. Payment is issued as a royalty check. They have to catch on pretty big, though, for it to add up to meaningful income. The royalty is a lot less than a straight e-book sale. On the other hand, people are reading these at a rate that has surprised me. The first three or four episodes are free to anyone. It gets your name out there. And you can tie the episodes to other e-books you may already have going, and grow the interest in the book.

Users who are viewing this thread