For the smart SVTPers

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve talked about it before, but have found every excuse not to follow through...well I ran out of excuses and start school on 16 Jan. I’m only taking College Algebra this first semester as I also have to study for promotion. I haven’t done school related math in almost 15 years, so I need help to say the least.

What are some good resources to getting back up to snuff? I know of Khan Academy and a few other testing/placement sites. But I’m looking for another resource to school me before/during this class. So what do you know of?

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
I believe edx let’s you take it for free online. That may give you some practice before the 16th.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
My youngest son in college is a straight A student, but not necessarily a math whiz, like the rest of the family. We are all math impaired.

He used to find youtube math tutorials in high school, just like I find youtube vids to figure out how to replace a window motor in the truck, or door switch in a Maytag dryer.

04YellowGT

Established Member
Congrats on starting back up! I'm finishing my degree this coming year in May. I'm pretty strong in math but had a horrible teacher for Calculus II. I used a paysite called Wolframalpha. It walks you though any problem you type in it. It helped me understand what the teacher failed to do.

Good Luck!

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
repetition
theres no shortcuts for math. i know you arent looking or a shortcut but you just need to immerse yourself in the work

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I’ve talked about it before, but have found every excuse not to follow through...well I ran out of excuses and start school on 16 Jan. I’m only taking College Algebra this first semester as I also have to study for promotion. I haven’t done school related math in almost 15 years, so I need help to say the least.

What are some good resources to getting back up to snuff? I know of Khan Academy and a few other testing/placement sites. But I’m looking for another resource to school me before/during this class. So what do you know of?
Asian friend better than anything.

08mojo

Established Member
throw the questions that give you trouble in this thread. It has been years since I have taken math courses, but I'm sure myself and others would be able to help you out. I went through calc III in school (mechanical engineer), so I should be able to help...I think...it's been a while.

LuuisHernandez

Established Member
YOUTUBE! I️ rely on YouTube more than the book for physics. Also, a lot of college books use online solution manuals, like calcchat.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
When I went back to school after being on active 10 years, I took math 100 and 101 to get back into the groove. They didn't count toward a degree, but made taking the rest of my math courses much easier (algebra, Trig, calc 1).

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Just want to thanks @Tx5811 edx has turned into a super helpful tool. I knew I had forgotten a lot (everything) and the structured approach on edx is really helping out. Better than most of my math teachers I would say.

So again, thanks @Tx5811

Users who are viewing this thread