? for HP turbo kit owners

THogg

Established Member
Do you run your WG back into the exhaust or to atmosphere? Also is there any advantage/disadvantage either way? Mine seems louder than other turbo Cobras I've heard. Is it b/c I'm only running 15-16 #'s?

Thanks

Smokin04

Pump Gas KING!
Established Member
Mine are vented to atmosphere. It's normal for them to be loud...it's essentially running open header under boost.

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
All HP kits dump the WG's to atmosphere. The advantage of doing this is that it is simpler and will make more power than if they we re-routed back into the downpipes.

And this this means HP turbo'd cars are very loud when you get on the throttle, you are hearing unmuffled exhaust right off the primaries so you know damn well it's going to be loud. Running 15psi will actually quiet it down some, try running around on 5psi! A lot of the time when I'm just cruising around I will set my boost controller all the way down (which is 5psi for me), and man it makes the car super loud! The less boost you run means more exhaust will be vented from the WG to atmosphere, so obviously the higher your boost level the less exhaust that will be externally vented.

Sharkster

Established Member
mine were open to atmosphere as well. Friend of mine was running some custom job with lawn mower mufflers weld to a waste gate flange and it knocked the tone down quite a bit.

THogg

Established Member
mine were open to atmosphere as well. Friend of mine was running some custom job with lawn mower mufflers weld to a waste gate flange and it knocked the tone down quite a bit.

I wonder if that would affect the flow any?

Thanks for the input guys.

Users who are viewing this thread