Folks Aspen or Vail Colorado?

Machdup1

Established Member
I was just in Vail. Stayed at the four seasons. Beautiful, relaxing, good restaurants and fun.

The group that brought me out there comp'd the whole trip so I have no idea about prices, but based on the look of the place, I would say expensive.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Both are cold as hell that time of year, try Aruba.

01svtL

Established Member
Crested Butte isn't bad. Little less crowded. I've been to Breckenridge several times and while it's probably my favorite, I can only stand it for a day or two (the skiing anyway). The lines get to be so long that time spent in the lines and on the lift compared to on the actual trail is about 4:1. It's just not worth it to me after awhile. The town is awesome though. And you can do other things from the resorts like snowmobile tours etc.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I live in Winter Park and have also been to all of the mountains you mention on multiple occasions.

And that brings me to Winter Park. Where I've lived for 2 years. A ton of terrain for beginners and experts alike. Best mogul runs in CO, you wanna be a better rider? Make yourself go down those moguls and see how quickly you progress. Winter Park will be somewhat less busy than all the other resorts I mentioned, it's only 1 hour from Denver but it's more of a locals place. You won't see TOO many yuppie, douches like Aspen and Vail. From the resort you have to drive to town, only 3 minutes, or stay around the village. There are some nice restaurants in town, like Dino's, Strip & Tail, and Vollarios to take the wife to. Nightlife is nice. Doesn't get too crazy, we have a nice movie theater/bowling alley you would like or you could ride our main lift up on Friday or Saturday night and have dinner at the top of the mountain.

I wish I would have known! I would have hit you up a few years back as we go out every year for a large ski/boarding trip. PM sent! Hope you can give me some guidance for when we are out there in February.

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
I live in Winter Park and have also been to all of the mountains you mention on multiple occasions.

To me it sounds like you want a nice quiet time in a ski town. Aspen is nice but the mountains are spread out too far, which means a lot of walking/bus riding/paying for parking. The mountains are incredible. Snowmass will be absolutely packed near Xmas. Same for Buttermilk. I would recommend Aspen Highlands. Steep, technical terrain, quiet low-key mountain, but I feel like Aspen may not be the right spot

Vail is gorgeous. One huge mountain, not spread out like Aspens resorts. Most everything you need can be found in and around the base area, which means minimal travel/walking. The mountain is insanely huge. You'll never be able to experience it all on a short trip. And it has terrain everyone can ride. Beware, Vail will be the busiest of your choices, as well as....

Breckenridge. Gorgeous town. Tons of shops, loads of restaurants, an awesome main street you can peruse down right near the resort. Bigger party town here though. If you are looking for quiet and peaceful, I'm not sure Breck would be the spot. The mountain is above average. Not an experts mountain, somewhat flat in my opinion, and you'll find a ton of terrain parks. Vail and Breck differ one huge way in nightlife. Breck is a party town, mostly geared toward younger travelers. Vail has the same vibe to me, except Vail is like a grown up Breck. A little classier, a little nicer, a little quieter and a little more expensive.

And that brings me to Winter Park. Where I've lived for 2 years. A ton of terrain for beginners and experts alike. Best mogul runs in CO, you wanna be a better rider? Make yourself go down those moguls and see how quickly you progress. Winter Park will be somewhat less busy than all the other resorts I mentioned, it's only 1 hour from Denver but it's more of a locals place. You won't see TOO many yuppie, douches like Aspen and Vail. From the resort you have to drive to town, only 3 minutes, or stay around the village. There are some nice restaurants in town, like Dino's, Strip & Tail, and Vollarios to take the wife to. Nightlife is nice. Doesn't get too crazy, we have a nice movie theater/bowling alley you would like or you could ride our main lift up on Friday or Saturday night and have dinner at the top of the mountain.

I would recommend Breck, Vail or Winter Park from those. Either of those resorts should be great. If you do decide on Winter Park, give me a shout. I can probably give you some 50% off lift tickets and give you more detailed info on everything. Good luck!

Awesome detail!

Winter park or Breck is my choices now

Breck is rated like 8 out of 25 best Christmas towns as well!

Users who are viewing this thread