Folks Aspen or Vail Colorado?

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
I think December 16-20th I am taking the wife to some actual mountains for a last minute trip before our house is done being built.

I am looking for damn good skiing... Incredible views. Walking to all restaurants and bars no taxis or rental cars. Unless I think I read that you need a rental to get there from Denver. 3-4 hours

I just want a very cozy Christmas lodge town sit by fire In the evenings after skiing and being able to walk the towns and shop eat drink.. Romantic Christmas movie like vibe

Thanks y'all

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Check out Winter Park, friend stayed there and said it was awesome. They have rooms with hot tubs outside which are incredible.

I'd send you a pm, but you box is always full. :lol1:

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
Check out Winter Park, friend stayed there and said it was awesome. They have rooms with hot tubs outside which are incredible.

Lmao I fixed that! Where is winter park??? And a hot tub is my shit! Especially outside!!!

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Breckenridge is always a fun time, nice ski town with tons to do at night.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Aspen sucks.. Breckinridge gets my vote for what you're looking for. The town looks like a ****ing post card at night. absolutely gorgeous. it's the perfect place to be around christmas.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Also looked at Jackson hole and it's pricey as hell

Jackson Hole is where all the rich live in WY. Plenty of people own places that they visit for vacation, so no surprise it's pricey. It's the Beverly Hills of WY.

Breck is nice too, so there or Winter Park would be a good place that isn't over run like Aspen.

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
Aspen sucks.. Breckinridge gets my vote for what you're looking for. The town looks like a ****ing post card at night. absolutely gorgeous. it's the perfect place to be around christmas.

I've heard it's bad ass. Just talked to a buddy who went there 3 years ago and said it was amazing

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Big Sky is right by me, so that's kind of what I had to compare to, and I ended up in Aspen for the X games.. I was highly disappointed after hearing all the hype over the years about movie stars etc. Vail is nice. Breck was my favorite by a long shot. Jackson Hole is pretty sweet too. I have a few friends that live down there. I've always hoped to run into Travis Rice at one of the bars lol

Planter

Banned
Aspen is so high priced. High roller town.

Vail, Breckenridge or Winter Park.

but if you want the very best in skiing/snowboarding, see if you can take an avalanche class and go do some backcountry stuff. Fresh powder unscathed by all the ski/board junkies. It will far and away blow anything you can do at a resort out of the water.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member

This. I own a condo in Granby(about 15 minutes away) and can tell you that if you stay in Winter Park you wont be dissapointed. It also has been called the best mogul ski runs in the world quite a few times. Check it out at winterparkresort.com. 240+ runs on 4 mountains and a highest elevation of a smidge over 12k feet. Breathtaking views all around.

Enjoy your trip!

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
We go to Vail every winter since my family has a home there. It's absolutely beautiful there, but damn expensive. Aspen is nice but I like Vail better.

SoBlue4.6

Established Member
I live in Winter Park and have also been to all of the mountains you mention on multiple occasions.

To me it sounds like you want a nice quiet time in a ski town. Aspen is nice but the mountains are spread out too far, which means a lot of walking/bus riding/paying for parking. The mountains are incredible. Snowmass will be absolutely packed near Xmas. Same for Buttermilk. I would recommend Aspen Highlands. Steep, technical terrain, quiet low-key mountain, but I feel like Aspen may not be the right spot

Vail is gorgeous. One huge mountain, not spread out like Aspens resorts. Most everything you need can be found in and around the base area, which means minimal travel/walking. The mountain is insanely huge. You'll never be able to experience it all on a short trip. And it has terrain everyone can ride. Beware, Vail will be the busiest of your choices, as well as....

Breckenridge. Gorgeous town. Tons of shops, loads of restaurants, an awesome main street you can peruse down right near the resort. Bigger party town here though. If you are looking for quiet and peaceful, I'm not sure Breck would be the spot. The mountain is above average. Not an experts mountain, somewhat flat in my opinion, and you'll find a ton of terrain parks. Vail and Breck differ one huge way in nightlife. Breck is a party town, mostly geared toward younger travelers. Vail has the same vibe to me, except Vail is like a grown up Breck. A little classier, a little nicer, a little quieter and a little more expensive.

And that brings me to Winter Park. Where I've lived for 2 years. A ton of terrain for beginners and experts alike. Best mogul runs in CO, you wanna be a better rider? Make yourself go down those moguls and see how quickly you progress. Winter Park will be somewhat less busy than all the other resorts I mentioned, it's only 1 hour from Denver but it's more of a locals place. You won't see TOO many yuppie, douches like Aspen and Vail. From the resort you have to drive to town, only 3 minutes, or stay around the village. There are some nice restaurants in town, like Dino's, Strip & Tail, and Vollarios to take the wife to. Nightlife is nice. Doesn't get too crazy, we have a nice movie theater/bowling alley you would like or you could ride our main lift up on Friday or Saturday night and have dinner at the top of the mountain.

I would recommend Breck, Vail or Winter Park from those. Either of those resorts should be great. If you do decide on Winter Park, give me a shout. I can probably give you some 50% off lift tickets and give you more detailed info on everything. Good luck!

Coiled03

Established Member
Aspen or Vail? How about neither. They're both full of dbags.

My favorite resort by far is Copper Mountain. Best layout of all of them IMHO, and plenty of terrain.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I went to Breckenridge a few years back. Skiing was awesome and so was the city. Will definitely visit again.

SoBlue4.6

Established Member
Aspen or Vail? How about neither. They're both full of dbags.

My favorite resort by far is Copper Mountain. Best layout of all of them IMHO, and plenty of terrain.

Didn't mention Copper because it doesn't fit the criteria. You have to go to Frisco for many things, which is ~10 miles. Breck is a much better choice in that sense.

Copper is one of my favorites mountains in CO though.

Coiled03

Established Member
Didn't mention Copper because it doesn't fit the criteria. You have to go to Frisco for many things, which is ~10 miles. Breck is a much better choice in that sense.

Copper is one of my favorites mountains in CO though.

I guess it depends on how you define "have to". I've never found much need to go elsewhere when I went to Copper.

But I don't disagree Breck certainly has more options.

Users who are viewing this thread