Foglight mod, and HIDs...now HIDs come on with parking lights

VEGASbabyVEGAS

I }> MY HONDA
Established Member
I posted this on the NHTOC...But I haven't gotten anywhere... figured I'd try here since the set-up is the same.

I recently did the "foglight mod" as per http://www.svtlightnings.com/svt/how-to/foglamps/foglamps.htm I used the splice white/black w/ brown method to get the fogs on with parking lights... It worked great...0 problems... then I installed an HID kit...

now the headlights (HIDs) turn on with the parking lamps... using a little trouble shooting, I di know the problem is happening at the splice...

has anyone else ran into this problem? Im assuming that somehow the HIDs are getting enough power through that splice somehow to activate...would there be a way to put a resistor or something in the middle of that splice?? if so what size would be required?

im alright with the simple electrical stuff...but as soon as stuff like this happens I become almost clueless...

Last edited:

mysvtf150

00 Lightning
Established Member
im not sure how to work that but i also have the hids in my fogs and i have the fog light mod done also and i spliced the white/black wire with the brown and nothing happened not sure what happened possibley a fuse?????

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
I have HIDS in the headlights and the foglights and it has a splice. I have zero issues with them. You need to splice the yellow wire to the brown wire.

img022.jpg

Try that and see if it works better for you.

***PLEASE NOTE***
Not all years have the same wiring. Make sure this splice will work with your application before you wire it up.

Last edited:

VEGASbabyVEGAS

I }> MY HONDA
Established Member
I have HIDS in the headlights and the foglights and it has a splice. I have zero issues with them. You need to splice the yellow wire to the brown wire.

Try that and see if it works better for you.

thank you...I will try that in the morning

VEGASbabyVEGAS

I }> MY HONDA
Established Member
well I tried the yellow to the brown...now the fogs turn on with the parking lamps... but there is no way to turn the fogs off... when I pull the switch out to turn the fogs on the headlights turn on.

with yellow to brown splice
-turn the headlight switch to parking lamps (knob pressed in, so fogs should not come on) and fogs come on with parking lamps

-pull headlight switch out and headlights come on (mind you this is all still in the parking lamp position)

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
With adding the jumper you are bypassing the entire control of the switch.

I'm guessing that what you want is only Fog light operation in the parking light position, but you also want to be able to control them with the switch at the same time??

Correct??

SilvieBolt

The whore that’s blue
Established Member
if you want to drive with out the fogs on but have headlights on turn your headlight switch to auto

VEGASbabyVEGAS

I }> MY HONDA
Established Member
With adding the jumper you are bypassing the entire control of the switch.

I'm guessing that what you want is only Fog light operation in the parking light position, but you also want to be able to control them with the switch at the same time??

Correct??

correct...and from what I understand this should be very possible and very easy...it completely outlines it in the link in original post... A few searches on other boards show that this has happened before...but I did not see anyone resolving it.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Except you have to open the switch up and I'm not willing to do that. 99% of the switches that I have seen cut opened never go back on right and they rattle.

For me, the switch is just to expensive to replace and I personally like not having to touch my light switch at all to make all of my lights come on. I never take it out of Autolamp unless I want just the fog and parking lights on.

I suggest that if other people on other boards have had similar issues, try PM'ing those people and ask them what they did to rectify the problem. Then let us know what you find out.

VEGASbabyVEGAS

I }> MY HONDA
Established Member
Except you have to open the switch up and I'm not willing to do that. 99% of the switches that I have seen cut opened never go back on right and they rattle.

For me, the switch is just to expensive to replace and I personally like not having to touch my light switch at all to make all of my lights come on. I never take it out of Autolamp unless I want just the fog and parking lights on.

I suggest that if other people on other boards have had similar issues, try PM'ing those people and ask them what they did to rectify the problem. Then let us know what you find out.

I've already opened the switch and did the physical modification. It went back together perfectly.

Unfortunately all the members that have mentioned having the problem are long gone...most have not had any board activity in last 3-4 years...

I guess im just going to have to use the method you mentioned with a switch...problem is...even that method is causing my headlights to come in the parking location. Unless I cut the white/black wire.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Alright man, I just looked at the link in your first post and I know what your issues is.

If you followed the electrical portion of the How-to you linked, you can cause damage to the switch or the circuit. Basically, you can screw up your GEM module. There is another way to fix it but I'm not going to post it up and confuse everybody that searches this thread later on.

All you need to do is remove the jumper wire from the White/Black wire and move it to the Yellow wire and it should work just how you want it to. Yellow to Brown. Thats it.

The White/Black wire is the power supplywire for the fog light switch. It should only supply voltage to the fog light switch when the headlights are in the on position. If you supply voltage to that side of the /switch/circuit you are back feeding the circuit and causing the headlights to operate in the parking light position.

Just try moving the lumper and see what happens.

VEGASbabyVEGAS

I }> MY HONDA
Established Member
Alright man, I just looked at the link in your first post and I know what your issues is.

If you followed the electrical portion of the How-to you linked, you can cause damage to the switch or the circuit. Basically, you can screw up your GEM module. There is another way to fix it but I'm not going to post it up and confuse everybody that searches this thread later on.

All you need to do is remove the jumper wire from the White/Black wire and move it to the Yellow wire and it should work just how you want it to. Yellow to Brown. Thats it.

The White/Black wire is the power supplywire for the fog light switch. It should only supply voltage to the fog light switch when the headlights are in the on position. If you supply voltage to that side of the /switch/circuit you are back feeding the circuit and causing the headlights to operate in the parking light position.

Just try moving the lumper and see what happens.

This is the same set-up you suggested in your first post in this thread. correct? if so. I tried the yellow/brown splice (this is actually how I have it wired currently) using the yellow/brown splice makes the fogs come on in the parking light position but there is no way to turn them off (without adding a switch to the splice.

Also...the yellow/brown was still causing my headlights to come on in the parking light position. I had to cut the white/black wire to keep this from happening.

I dont know if my truck is just and odd-ball (its starting to sound like that) or if its the HIDs...

8URHEMI

Team RAMROD
Established Member
Yes, I have HID's in the fogs and headlights. Before I put the headlights in, the fog lights would work fine without the headlights being on. After I put my HID headlights in, I can't get the fog lights to be on by themselves.

VEGASbabyVEGAS

I }> MY HONDA
Established Member
Yes, I have HID's in the fogs and headlights. Before I put the headlights in, the fog lights would work fine without the headlights being on. After I put my HID headlights in, I can't get the fog lights to be on by themselves.

hmmm... its got to be the HIDs then... probally has something to do with them not needing as much juice as regular headlights.

I'll get a pic asap...but it does look just like all the pictures in the write ups.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
I'm also curious if it is the HID kit. It might make a difference on which kit is used.

I have done at least 40 to 50 trucks and never had one issue one either of the two designs.:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread