Flywheel Locking Tool?

///m3

Established Member
I'm trying to remove the lower pulley on the Cobra and I can't keep the motor from spinning. It's in gear, brakes are applied and I've got a 3 ft breaker bar on the pulley hub. The motor keeps slipping at the clutch. The scary part about that is it's a brand new Centerforce clutch with less than 1000 miles on it.

Yes, I know it's a reverse thread.

I thought about drilling a hole into the front of the harmonic damper pulley and sticking the BMW flywheel locking tool in there. It would hit the center support bracket and keep the 6-rib pulley from spinning.

Any other advice?

Last edited:

BoostFiend

Say NO to FUPA!
Established Member
I JUST installed a 4lb lower on my car and let me tell you it was a PITA! We broke an impact socket with me (240lbs) and a buddy (270lbs) using a breaker bar with a cheater pipe. What finally ended up working for us was let it sit overnight with some penetrating oil on it, put the car in 5th gear, blocks in front of the rear tires and hope for the best. When I had it in 1st gear all it wanted to do was spin the rear tires. Using a gear with a higher ratio really takes alot of the slack out of it.

///m3

Established Member
the ford flywheel locker goes where the starter would normally be

http://www.toolsource.com/flywheel-locking-tool-ford-p-92517.html

:eek:Is it made out of unobtanium??? I figured about half that price when I saw the tool in the Ford Service Manual. I guess that's why I didn't see any threads on people using the tool to remove the pulley.

Am I the only person on the planet that doesn't have enough clamping force on the clutch to prevent the flywheel from turning? I can get about 150ft-lbs, maybe 200ft-lbs, on it but then the motor starts to turn.

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
I used 6th gear. E brake pulled tight and 1/2" breaker bar with a 4 ft black iron pipe. Just a good tug and snap! It came loose. I just did this Tues night. It went easy suprisingly!

BoostFiend

Say NO to FUPA!
Established Member
It doesn't matter what gear it's in, it's slipping at the clutch and flywheel.

Well then I guess you need the locking tool. Strange problem. Good luck. Actually it does matter what gear you are in, makes it much easier when in 5th or 6th.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread