Flying Fredz Cobra R at WGI this past weekend

67bigblock

Established Member
Fellas
I took Freds R to WGI over the weekend.
I know you will be proud.
I was in the novice group.
By the end of the first day I was getting the "pass-by" from even the mightly Z06's.
Anyway.

A few pics are in order.
Glen_15.jpg

67bigblock

Established Member
I want to acknowledge Fred and his mechanic Doug and tell you that the car ran flawlessly and was a real champ.
I want to mention that Fred, Doug and Ford made that R the most intimidating car in my group,...aesthetically,..................as well.
Which as Bill Murray would say,..."which is nice"

Last edited:

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
Bill called me Sunday and it was awesome to hear how well things went for him. Selling the car after 10 years is a bit emotional, but it feels good to know a great guy bought and is enjoying it. :thumbsup:

Great pictures to go with the story too. Ahhh, the Glen! Bruce and I made two memorable trips there.... the Cheeseheads meet Johnny Mac and Club Cranky first time; then we took a small caravan of diehards there a few years later. How I LOVE that track! Tell ya what Bill, I might have to join you for an event there next spring..... as long as you promise not to run me over!:nono:

Now we just have to get you to stop calling it Fred's car and claim it for yourself! Hear's to hoping you have a blast with the car buddy!
:beer::beer:

SDW Racing

Established Member
Bill called me Sunday and it was awesome to hear how well things went for him. Selling the car after 10 years is a bit emotional, but it feels good to know a great guy bought and is enjoying it. :thumbsup:

Great pictures to go with the story too. Ahhh, the Glen! Bruce and I made two memorable trips there.... the Cheeseheads meet Johnny Mac and Club Cranky first time; then we took a small caravan of diehards there a few years later. How I LOVE that track! Tell ya what Bill, I might have to join you for an event there next spring..... as long as you promise not to run me over!:nono:

Now we just have to get you to stop calling it Fred's car and claim it for yourself! Hear's to hoping you have a blast with the car buddy!

Fredo...good to see your car went to a good home and will continue to be thrashed!!!!!

Bill....glad you have fun with your new track toy! ....so what did you think of The Glen???? Was this your first time driving that track?

After 13 years of running The Glen at least 4-5 times a season.....I sure do miss it....must get back....I miss my race buddies down here in NC. :cryying::cryying::cryying:

67bigblock

Established Member

Great pictures to go with the story too. Ahhh, the Glen! Bruce and I made two memorable trips there.... the Cheeseheads meet Johnny Mac and Club Cranky first time; then we took a small caravan of diehards there a few years later. How I LOVE that track! Tell ya what Bill, I might have to join you for an event there next spring.....

Will Do Fred. Anytime.
How does October sound.......
:)

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
It's nice to see the car still getting used as it was intended by Ford! :rockon: Two owners, two Track Ho's! :-D

Enjoy that car! I know you will! There are not many like it!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

67bigblock

Established Member
Fellas
I wanted you all to know that i had Flying Fredz car at VIR this weekend for the high speed event put on by SAAC and SVT CObra Club.
Car performed flawlessly and I hope to post a few pics later.
Might even have a video shot from a buddys 94/95 Cobra as he thought he was going to pass........

SDW Racing

Established Member
Fellas
I wanted you all to know that i had Flying Fredz car at VIR this weekend for the high speed event put on by SAAC and SVT CObra Club.
Car performed flawlessly and I hope to post a few pics later.
Might even have a video shot from a buddys 94/95 Cobra as he thought he was going to pass........

I thought I saw your car there! Looks great!

67bigblock

Established Member
^^
Thank you for the compliment.
This is a pic of it parked next to my buddys 65-350 that he has owned for 40 years.

36-00a.jpg

Last edited:

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
It sure is great to see you driving the car hard and enjoying it at the track Bill. Next year I will try to come out east to do an event with you... the Glen, VIR or perhaps we can meet halfway at Mid-O.

By the way, which did you like better - The Glen or VIR? Did you run the Grand Concourse configuration all 3 days?

67bigblock

Established Member
Hey Fred
All 3 days on the "Grand". The BigBoy.
By the third day I think I had the course down well enough to feel very comfortable at speed. However,....some of the curves are very hairy indeed. I got down OakTree like it was water by day two.
The one after that is a late turn late apex that is tough to master and I must say that I prefer WGI at this point.
I never felt like i was going to go off the course at WGI and the "busstop" and the uphill "S's" there were not at all something that I felt uncomfortable with. Some people are uncomfortable with it. Your car handled it and was very forgiving.
Plus,.....WGI is only 5 vs 11 hours drive.

67bigblock

Established Member
Flying FredMobile next to a friends Monster that he built from the ground up.
It has a crate GT500 motor in there and is a real beast. The build was called Project Nasty. I love the color. Very similar to a 70 Mopar Burnt Orange.

36-41.jpg

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Hey Fred
All 3 days on the "Grand". The BigBoy.
By the third day I think I had the course down well enough to feel very comfortable at speed. However,....some of the curves are very hairy indeed. I got down OakTree like it was water by day two.
The one after that is a late turn late apex that is tough to master and I must say that I prefer WGI at this point.
I never felt like i was going to go off the course at WGI and the "busstop" and the uphill "S's" there were not at all something that I felt uncomfortable with. Some people are uncomfortable with it. Your car handled it and was very forgiving.
Plus,.....WGI is only 5 vs 11 hours drive.

Bill:

I've never run the "Grand Course" at VIR only "Full". And I can tell you the last thing I'd want to do is to slow down for a right hander in the middle of the fastest straightaway.

I think you'd have a different view of VIR running Full as opposed to Grand. Give it another shot when you get a chance.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I am leaving next Tuesday for Watkins Glen. My are taking 10 cars (including a 1995 Cobra R).

I really like the track (14 hours from home). It's The Boot that worries me. It's all guard rail. If you make a little mistake here, you are going home with a damaged car.

But one reason we go is the history of WG. The people are nice. It's a beautiful area (in the summer ;-) ).

I think you'd have a different view of VIR running Full as opposed to Grand. Give it another shot when you get a chance.

I agree Bruce. I think the original "full course" (5 hours from home) is the best and most fun.

Now, if they would only move Chicago north of Road America....:-D

Users who are viewing this thread