Flowmaster outlaws! Thoughts?(vids inside)

dynasty_365

Established Member
I remember dude was like ima check it for exhaust leak and lifted the car back up and started talking then came back and lowered the lift right back down lol. Ima take it somewhere in the morning and get it on a lift and look. I imagine it has a leak or something not completely tight which is y the exhaust Is so loud in the car

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
its sounds ok, +1 for doing something different.

My setup is loud, but not quite that and i have no cats with chambered mufflers.

For a simple catback setup yours is pretty noisy. The tone will change with some miles on that system so prepare yourself for some serious popping on decel if you dont already have it.

MYFSTSVT99L

Ingot 2012
Established Member
I have the popping on decel but that doesn't bother me. Had mine on for around 4000 miles and still love it every time I drive it.

dynasty_365

Established Member
I might not b either. I need to hear them from the outside. I heard some borla ataks about two weeks ago and these remind of them. Sound like a chopper coming down the street. I drowned out some diesels, motorcycles, and 18 wheelers this weekend and just pretty much let me know this set up is tooooo loud

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
Yea it pops it's ass off. What causes that? Is it mainly because it's a straight through muffler

Depends on the muffler and system. Obviously you have less back pressure removing cats so that accounts for some pop, but mostly a straight through muffler is the culprit.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Personally, I like the Roush better. They don't make any excuses, they just scream. If I wanted a "musclecar" sound, I would not be driving a car with a relatively small displacement, 4 cam V-8...I would be driving a car with a big pushrod motor. If you think these are too loud and you want something a bit more tame, and even deeper, get the MAC.

Mike

PIKE5.0

Established Member
I started with just the outlaw axle back.. It's loud but I found in cabin is very reasonable. Also once warm at idle it sounds stock, cruising as long as you're not right on 2k it is almost stock. Just loud under loaded accel and WOT.

What you should do is 3" H, catless, 3" to the outlaws. That's what I've got now. I'll admit.. a little too loud lol

Lone Star

Established Member
Sounds good but it is a A bit too loud for me,,,but that is cause i am Older.... :)

This is mine with GT500's before and after (installed at local club tech day to explain all the people) I am 40 and wanted louder then stock but not rediculous and certainly couldnt deal with DRONE. The GT500's are perfect to me.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PcSBO6ghXg&context=C3e53eb1ADOEgsToPDskIvwnpon1RdVuNBgffMR1Wn"]2011 Mustang 5.0 Gt500 axlebacks - YouTube[/nomedia]

JerryC

Established Member
This is mine with GT500's before and after (installed at local club tech day to explain all the people) I am 40 and wanted louder then stock but not rediculous and certainly couldnt deal with DRONE. The GT500's are perfect to me.

2011 Mustang 5.0 Gt500 axlebacks - YouTube

I love the part where a couple of guys try to get the driver side muffler off, take half step back and give each other that "I dunno" look.

I've been there, I done that four times. When you look, you're sure it wont come off unless you unbolt something else. Each time I just had to go Cro-Magnon on it and it came right off.

5.0jake

Established Member
I was considering the outlaw axleback but this thread is giving me second thoughts.
I test drove a Roush stage 2 and thought it sounded pretty good but wouldn't want it any louder and can get the outlaw for way less $$.
Are the outlaws also unbearable by itself (normal driving)? I wouldn't plan on taking off the resonators or cats with these.
Other choices would be GT500 and remove the resonators
Gibson axle back and remove resonators(not much info on these out there but Ive read they don't have drone and are as loud as the GT500's).
Btw, Ive had the GT500's before with resonators and it sounded pretty good but not loud enough.
Last and cheapest option, go to a local muffler shop and have them cut out my stock mufflers and run straight pipes. (mainly worried about nasty drone with this set up)

Last edited:

MYFSTSVT99L

Ingot 2012
Established Member
I have the outlaws and my wife has the Roush, now the outlaws are more aggressive, and the Roush is more tame. They sound very much alike at WOT, but cruising the Roush is much more like stock then the outlaws. No drone at all with the Roush but with the outlaws around 1800-2100 there is some drone.

5.0jake

Established Member
I have the outlaws and my wife has the Roush, now the outlaws are more aggressive, and the Roush is more tame. They sound very much alike at WOT, but cruising the Roush is much more like stock then the outlaws. No drone at all with the Roush but with the outlaws around 1800-2100 there is some drone.
Roush is pertty nice but everywhere I look they are $400+.
I can get the outlaws for $278 from amazon and I have $200 worth in gift certificates at Amazon;)
Yes I'm cheap, not big on spending a lot of money on mods that don't make the car faster... The stock Camry like exhaust has gots to go!

Last edited:

MYFSTSVT99L

Ingot 2012
Established Member
Well I really like my outlaws cause they are so aggressive and the wife likes her Roush cause they can be aggressive, but then they are also tamed when you are just cruising.

dynasty_365

Established Member
I must admit I still have my outlaws and love them. They quieted down a good bit and have a nice rumble and aggressive tone. Sound wayyyy better now than when I first got them. They were initially just stooooopid loud and apart unbearable. Now they sound good. I continuously get compliments on them.

5.0jake

Established Member
I must admit I still have my outlaws and love them. They quieted down a good bit and have a nice rumble and aggressive tone. Sound wayyyy better now than when I first got them. They were initially just stooooopid loud and apart unbearable. Now they sound good. I continuously get compliments on them.

When you say stupid loud is it because you don't have resonators?
I could see part throttle and or loud all the time being annoying as a daily driver.

dynasty_365

Established Member
When I say stupid loud I mean stupid loud. Don't know how they sound with resonators on to differentiate between the two. But when I first got them it wasn't a middle point. There was no little loud or cruising speed loud it was just fkn loud lol. But now that they've broken in at idle it's a nice good rumble. Cruising now u still here it and it's a good deep rumble. Honestly they e never quiet. U won't sneak up on anybody. Wide open throttle is pure hell. On part of te interstate where they r doing construction it's closed in by walls and the workers r in the middle of the interstate and when I come through all work stops.

Compared to the roush these r louder in my opinion and deeper. Guy at the dealership by my house has the roush and his is tame next to mine.

Users who are viewing this thread