Florida ticket with South Carolina License

FlashNinja11

Pipe Dream King
Established Member
This past Saturday I got pulled over for 70 in a 65 by Florida Highway Patrol. He also owned a Mustang so I assumed I would get a warning but sadly he gave me the ticket. I was speeding and clearly at fault and the money isn't the issue but my question is, will the points from the ticket in Florida transfer to South Carolina where I have my driver's license from?

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Most states have different point systems, so the answer is likely to be no. HOWEVER, most states will also have points they will assess for "out-of-state" violations. To be 100% sure, you will need to contact the SC DMV, or whichever agency issues driver's licenses there.

FlashNinja11

Pipe Dream King
Established Member
I was really going probably close to 85 but he didn't get me on radar until my car "took a nose dive" as he put it. He just wanted to make sure I was being safe so I wouldn't hurt myself, others, or my mustang.

FlashNinja11

Pipe Dream King
Established Member
Yeah he almost lost it going over a grass median to come get me. throwing grass and dirt all over.

2Rare

Against All Odds
Established Member
It's a good thing he didn't clock you at your initial speed. I've had several close calls down in Texas (DFW).

wesessiah

Established Member
just make sure you take care of it. i've seen a few nc drivers with suspended licenses due to out of state infractions/fta. one of those i remember being out of horry county sc... so south carolina and north carolina at least communicate.

Last edited:

SVTORANGE

Established Member
I agree the points will transfer - Darn shame you get a ticket going 5 miles over posted speed that does not make any sense to me.

shurur

Established Member
I think ME, NH and VT have a combined point system. NH allows only 12 points over 5 years across three states!!! Warnings come at 9 points.

I never had problems until I finally had some nice cars to drive, vice the econoboxes I used to drive.

Now DMV.org says it's 24 points over three years..and 12 over one....but I had points carry over past three.

Last edited:

FlashNinja11

Pipe Dream King
Established Member
I am actually in Horry County, SC so I will probably do a driving school online here in Florida so the 3 points that it is, won't transfer. Stupid that it's 3 points for speeding more than the limit but under 15 mph over.

SVTORANGE

Established Member
I am actually in Horry County, SC so I will probably do a driving school online here in Florida so the 3 points that it is, won't transfer. Stupid that it's 3 points for speeding more than the limit but under 15 mph over.

WOW man 3 points for that ticket:cryying:

FlashNinja11

Pipe Dream King
Established Member
Yeah in SC speeding less than 10mph over is 2 points, under 20mph is 4 points, over 20mph is 6 points or worse at the officer's discretion pretty much. I got pulled over going 81 in a 45 (right when it changed from 65) and I got 6 points and the cop was cool because I was running late to graduation.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
So he wrote you for 5 over? check the green pamphlet he gave you, it actually says " 1- 5mph over = warning" you have a good chance of getting nothing.

SVTORANGE

Established Member
yeah in sc speeding less than 10mph over is 2 points, under 20mph is 4 points, over 20mph is 6 points or worse at the officer's discretion pretty much. I got pulled over going 81 in a 45 (right when it changed from 65) and i got 6 points and the cop was cool because i was running late to graduation.

wow

sc95cobra

Established Member

Good luck, I don't think the points will transfer but not positive on that.
I moved from Horry County to FL in 2010. Last ticket I got was going back home to move my stuff in 2010 in Beaufort SC. Just make sure to pay the ticket on time or complications may arise, possibly a license suspension. The driving school is usually a good way to minimize points.

Given you a ticket for 5 over even if he saw 'the nose dive' is BS.

Users who are viewing this thread