Flat spotting on tires

04mellowyellow

Ford Nut
Established Member
Just returned from the sand and took the L out for a spin yesterday. She sat for 8 months and ran great except for the massive vibration at highway speeds. I am assuming this is from the truck sitting so long without being moved an inch causing probably flat spotting, which I can't see by just looking at the tires. Will this go away after some long term driving or am I screwed and will need to flip some coins for new tires?

IEatGt's

FormerGarageQueenPro
Established Member
It should go away after you drive it for a day or so. I go through that with mine every time I get it out of the garage. Make sure the tires are inflated correctly. Don't be like me, DRIVE IT!!

SVT Wylde

The Accountant
Established Member
My truck sits for long periods of time and my tires are the same way at highway speeds. (I still have the original F1's) You can try having them rebalanced.

I just bought some new Nitto's and I'm going to drive it at least once a week to keep that from happening. I heard you can over inflate the tires during periods of long storage and that will help with flat spotting.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
I usually have my tires set at 38-40psi and don't seem to have that problem even with the truck setting in the pole barn all winter. Cheap Hankooks currently but stock Goodyears before that. My truck sits ALOT, consider I've only got about 30,000 miles on my '03.

MJG

Established Member
My truck sits every winter for a good 6-7 months.

Always over inflate my tires to 45-50 psi and never had an issue.

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
MY truck sits a Loooong time in the garage (Drive it about 500 miles a year max) which gives me some serious flat spotting issues.
I joined group buy for a set of these a couple of years ago which helps to control the problem....
TIRE CRADLES

tcradle2.jpg

I also air up the tires to 45-50 psi when I'm not driving it.
The only other way to prevent flat spotting is to put a block under all four corners of the truck to keep the tires off the ground when not driving it.

Last edited:

lightning25

SEANSVT
Established Member
same as previosuly posted.
truck sits for 6 months, but i overinflate the tires to 40psi. I also have carpet and my car bag between the tires and the cold concrete with no issues of flat spotting.

tistan

Established Member
MY truck sits a Loooong time in the garage (Drive it about 500 miles a year max) which gives me some serious flat spotting issues.
I joined group buy for a set of these a couple of years ago which helps to control the problem....
TIRE CRADLES

tcradle2.jpg

I also air up the tires to 45-50 psi when I'm not driving it.
The only other way to prevent flat spotting is to put a block under all four corners of the truck to keep the tires off the ground when not driving it.

Cool idea, but $345 for 4 pieces of rubber is pretty steep. I would just make the same thing out of wood from home depot for about $10 bucks.

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
Cool idea, but $345 for 4 pieces of rubber is pretty steep. I would just make the same thing out of wood from home depot for about $10 bucks.
It works well so it's worth the investment to me. Cheaper than a new set of tires.
I doubt that a block of wood can cushion any better than the garage floor.

Users who are viewing this thread