Flat spots on tires?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey guys,

I'm curious how many of you use anything for your tires during long term storage?

I have two sets of race ramp flat stoppers and haven't used them this winter. I'm trying out just moving the cars forward and back some every few weeks. Even though one car sits on a 4 post lift.

I may end up selling them if I don't need them.
78cbb4a9b4ccdfc92fcf0536afa5e81c.jpg
e13d9bb8ae46393ebd36165b9a78b90e.jpg

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I’m not sure what you consider long term but my dad, my brother, and I all keep our cars basically dormant in our garages for 4-6 months during the winter and never have issues with flat spots. I know my dad never moves his car. His can sit for 6 months without ever being moved and never has flat spots. Seeing his car sit and not have problems has conditioned me to never worry about it.

If you’re talking 12+ months that might be a different story….

MG0h3

Established Member
My DR def get them.

I used to put it on stands but gave up after awhile.

The flat spots go away very quickly and I’ve never noticed any sort of “memory”.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I’m not sure what you consider long term but my dad, my brother, and I all keep our cars basically dormant in our garages for 4-6 months during the winter and never have issues with flat spots. I know my dad never moves his car. His can sit for 6 months without ever being moved and never has flat spots. Seeing his car sit and not have problems has conditioned me to never worry about it.

If you’re talking 12+ months that might be a different story….
Yeah basically stored for 5-6 months. Just depends on how long winter is. And the streets get clean.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
On modern radials, flat spots aren’t really a thing.
Old bias ply tires would actually flat spot from sitting for long durations.
The long cold winter has your mind searching Brady! Break out the wax/polish & occupy your time with that. Not to include removing undercoating.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Before I got my two post I would put squares of rigid foam under each tire and never had a problem. I also left the car sitting on a concrete floor over the winter and didn’t have a problem then either. Maybe years sitting would be an issue but not months. Nice shop by the way Brady.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
The long cold winter has your mind searching Brady! Break out the wax/polish & occupy your time with that. Not to include removing undercoating.
LoL it certainly does. I just bought some Griot's Boss polish products that I plan on trying out soon. A couple paint imperfections I'm going to try and take care of on both foxbody mustangs.
Before I got my two post I would put squares of rigid foam under each tire and never had a problem. I also left the car sitting on a concrete floor over the winter and didn’t have a problem then either. Maybe years sitting would be an issue but not months. Nice shop by the way Brady.
Good to know! And thank you!

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

this is my experience as well. We have vehicles that sit around in a non-climate controlled garage for 6-8months at a time and no issues. a bias play slick or something I'd be more concerned.

Also note some ultra high performance tires do advise against storing them outside (even on the vehicle) below certain temps.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Are your Race Ramp Flat Stoppers a dense foam? If so, I used them when storing my G-70 (summer tires). They worked well. But honest, as others have already said, you shouldn't really worry about flat spots. You probably move your cars around occasionally, anyway, during their winter storage.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Are your Race Ramp Flat Stoppers a dense foam? If so, I used them when storing my G-70 (summer tires). They worked well. But honest, as others have already said, you shouldn't really worry about flat spots. You probably move your cars around occasionally, anyway, during their winter storage.
Yes they are. I've used them on the cobra every winter for many years. I may clear up some space and sell them.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
They do work very well, but if you don't need them, you don't need them.

Users who are viewing this thread