Flat Earthers - I don't get it, at all.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Laugh if you want. I don't mind. I said I'm not an advocate for either. Just observations.
You can't see the Rockies from Goodland, KS or anywhere from Kansas really.

You'd have to get pretty high up to see them.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
??? You say not an advocate for either. I say 100% inconclusive. I think you'll find if you read the comments again that I'm you biggest (and only) supporter.

You owe me an apology. But now that you have hurt my feelings I don't want it. And you will not be getting an invite for dinner. So don't ask.
LOL.

CV355

_
Established Member
I'll admit- I thought "Flat Earth" was a grand trolling exercise, until I realized those nutcases were serious. (Partially) Hollow-Earth (not the Agartha 2nd-sun version) is actually a far more feasible conspiracy theory. I would not be surprised if there were unexplored pockets within Earth, lit by bio-luminescent organisms. A full hollow Earth? Physics says no.

I love a good conspiracy theory, but I also love poking holes in them faster than a fat kid at the brownie buffet.

rwleonard

Established Member
What do you mean valid? I'm not lying about it. It's an interesting theory that there are flat spots on a ball. I'm not sure if it could be correct or not. If so, a corresponding spot on the ball would have to have more curvature than the average. Right?
What do you mean valid? I'm not lying about it. It's an interesting theory that there are flat spots on a ball. I'm not sure if it could be correct or not. If so, a corresponding spot on the ball would have to have more curvature than the average. Right?

No, not that you are lying about what you can see, but that you might be mistaken about what you should be able to see. Not sure what you are basing that on.

It is interesting that you take offense that I might have implied I thought you were lying, when, to even entertain the idea that the world might be flat, one would have to believe that a whole lot of people are lying about a whole lot of stuff, in a very coordinated manner.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
You can see that far on a clear day, but you'll need to be in a plane. The furthest proven sight line is 443km (Spanish Pyrenees to French Alps), which apparently uses light refraction to get it that far as the curvature still gets in the way. But that's from a very tall peak, to a very tall peak. You aren't going to see the majority of the earth in between.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
I love a good conspiracy theory, but I also love poking holes in them faster than a fat kid at the brownie buffet.

Are ya gonna poke holes in my examples? One guy says light refracts over a mile. Do you buy that?

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
You can see that far on a clear day, but you'll need to be in a plane. The furthest proven sight line is 443km (Spanish Pyrenees to French Alps), which apparently uses light refraction to get it that far as the curvature still gets in the way. But that's from a very tall peak, to a very tall peak. You aren't going to see the majority of the earth in between.
It would be interesting to see exactly how far away you can start to see the Rockies from eastern CO. Do you do that drive often? It would also be interesting how you first saw them. If it was the tip top of Mt Evans in Denver first or if you'd see the entire mountain. On a globe, you'd see the tip top but I'd bet you a nickel that's not how you would see them.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
It would be interesting to see exactly how far away you can start to see the Rockies from eastern CO. Do you do that drive often? It would also be interesting how you first saw them. If it was the tip top of Mt Evans in Denver first or if you'd see the entire mountain. On a globe, you'd see the tip top but I'd bet you a nickel that's not how you would see them.

I do that drive often.

And you don't see the entire mountain range at first lol.

I can't see the base of Pikes Peak from Limon, but there is a spot outside of Limon, on a pretty tall hill on I70 that you can see a good amount of it.

It really is a matter of getting up higher, to see farther.

I can see a lot further flying into Kansas in a 182 than I can while driving.

You have to remember, thousands of years ago humans wrote about watching ships "sink" when going out to see, only to find out they hadn't sunk at all when they returned.

You can do this with cruise ships yourself.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
I get it. What I was saying is that you don't see the tip top of the mountains from say 100 miles away and then the middle of it from 50 and the bottom from 20. It doesn't grow from 0 feet to 4000 feet.

CV355

_
Established Member
Are ya gonna poke holes in my examples? One guy says light refracts over a mile. Do you buy that?

Sure, considering the night sky is only visible due to refraction. Once you get above the atmosphere, the only light that gets to your eyes is straight from the source rather than millions of vectors from refraction...

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
All you have to do is fly in a damn plane to see that earth is round. It is truly amazing some people genuinely believe the earth is flat.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I get it. What I was saying is that you don't see the tip top of the mountains from say 100 miles away and then the middle of it from 50 and the bottom from 20. It doesn't grow from 0 feet to 4000 feet.
I mean, the principle applies to both the mountains and the ocean. The reason why it's easier to see the effects of the curvature of the earth is water, especially calm water, may only have a few feet of elevation change. On land, the elevation changes quite a bit.

And yeah, on a clear enough day, with no elevation change, the mountains would slowly come into view. That view I brought up earlier from the Spanish Pyrenees to the French alps is literally looking at the very tip of a mountain, from the tip of a mountain. You can't see the entire thing.

Next time we fly in the 182 and are headed back, I'm going to watch it like a hawk, as soon as I see what I believe are the tops of the mountains, we will drop in altitude to see if it goes away (I bet it does).

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
Or do the same observation in your car. See how far away you are when you can see them for the first time.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
Sure, considering the night sky is only visible due to refraction. Once you get above the atmosphere, the only light that gets to your eyes is straight from the source rather than millions of vectors from refraction...
Apples to Oranges in this instance but OK.

Makes you wonder what a flat (or any other shape) earth would look like from 250 miles in "space" while looking down through all that refraction... If I can't trust my eyes from less than 100 miles, why would I trust them at 250?

Just playing devils advocate.

Last edited:

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
All you have to do is fly in a damn plane to see that earth is round. It is truly amazing some people genuinely believe the earth is flat.
Through the curved windows in the plane? Hmmm.

How do you explain the horizon rising up to meet your eye? Why doesn't the horizon in front drop off, too?

einehund

Established Member
Through the curved windows in the plane? Hmmm.

How do you explain the horizon rising up to meet your eye? Why doesn't the horizon in front drop off, too?

I live on the island of Sicily. I am currently in the country of Malta for spring break, a 35 minute - 90 km flight. Why the ***k can't I see your house?? I hate you.

Users who are viewing this thread