Flashing CEL but no code stored.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
I've been doing some searching on this but haven't really come up with anything solid.

Car is a 11" GT with CAI, Steeda Catted X pipe, flows and running a Bama 93R tune.

For the first month or so after I loaded the tune, the car ran great although consuming more fuel than I would have suspected (no biggie, it's not a honda).

Then one day I was going through the gears pretty hard and I get a flashing CEL light and it starts chugging like it's dropped cylinders. I was not in a position to just shut it down, so I just kept rolling....after about 30 seconds, the CEL stopped flashing and the car started driving completely smooth.

Drove smooth for several weeks even under load.

A couple of week later....same thing. Flashing CEL light, chugging....then goes back to driving fine.
Now it's doing this consistently under load.

No error codes stored and when I sent the data logs to Bama to look at, they stated that the tuned looked good (now knocking on them here). From what I'm gathering, possible bad Coil Pack(s)?

On the threads I've read similar to this, there doesn't seem to be a clear diagnosis.

Any constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Shaun@AED

Perform a Crank Relearn ASAP!

Flashing CEL over 4000RPM at part throttle indicates the ECU needs to learn the position of the crankshaft and crank sensor.
These ECU's default STOICH at WOT in these instances (unless you have a tune that changes this default like I do), so this is a dangerous situation to be racing the car with.

CPRsm

Also in these instances I'be found the only way to see what is going on is to have the ability to pull pending codes. Be kinda hard for you but I got my ass kicked for a while on a car for a while before I was able to pull pending and get a clue what was going on

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
Perform a Crank Relearn ASAP!

Flashing CEL over 4000RPM at part throttle indicates the ECU needs to learn the position of the crankshaft and crank sensor.
These ECU's default STOICH at WOT in these instances (unless you have a tune that changes this default like I do), so this is a dangerous situation to be racing the car with.

I'm assuming I have to put the car back in stock tune when doing the Crank Relearn (which is under Special Features on the x4, if I remember...correct?)

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
Did the Crank Relearn last night. Had to set the car back to factory tune and then the x4 froze up loading the tune back up so I had to redo it. That was the hardest part....

On the way to work this morning, I did a bit of a "step" test up to 4500 rpms slowly in 2nd gear....no flashing CEL and limp mode.

Did this a couple of times....seems good at this point

I'll probably do a couple of more rolls into the upper RPM range before romping on it. But I think this resolved the problem. So it appears that the dealership that installed the motor never did this....I'm also, disapointed that Bama didn't think about this considering the multiple e-mails I've had going back and forth witht them on this issue (and I told them the motor had been replaced).

I appreciate it, Shaun. I've got a couple of bills I need to take care of, but I'll contact you in the future for a different tune than what I have. Again, I appreciate it.

Shaun@AED

Glad you got it worked out.
Hopefully no damage has been done from running 14.0:1 at WOT on this new engine.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
What I'm hoping as well....everything "seems" to be running fine.
I've got a warranty (lol), so if it goes south, maybe they'll cover it

Users who are viewing this thread