Fixing SN-95 big brake bias: 14" 13-14 GT500 rear rotors on IRS + bias calculator for common brakes

03HP

Established Member
If you just want to use the calculator, here it is: SN-95 Brake Bias Calculator

Background:
I, like many others, have upgraded my front brakes. I upgraded to 14" (07-12 GT500 front rotors) and Brembo monoblock calipers about 8 years ago. This dramatically improved my car's braking performance!

Problem:
With improved front brakes, the bias is too far to the front (~75/25 in my case). I have read that optimal brake bias on SN-95s is 70/30 and calculated the 93/95 Cobra R to be ~70/30 and 00 Cobra R to be ~69/31 which seems to confirm this. Full Tilt Boogie Racing does make a 13" rear brake conversion kit (changes bias to ~72/28 in my case). My issue with their kit is that I would be locked into using their rotors instead of something off-the-shelf, also maybe I can get closer to that optimal 70/30!

Rotor solution:
2013-2014 GT500 rear rotors check all of the boxes for me!
  • readily available (as cheap as $68 for a pair)
  • diameter of 13.77" (vs 11.65") (larger diameter means increased rear bias)
  • thickness of 19mm (vs 18mm) (fits factory 03-04 Cobra pads)
With these larger rotors and the factory Cobra rear caliper, I calculated my car's brake bias to be an optimal 70.7/29.3!

Bracket solution:
I designed brackets that push the rear calipers out and down to minimize how much further the parking brake cable has to reach. I ran structural analysis on the brackets and determined that 6061 aluminum is plenty strong for this purpose.

brackets:
brackets.jpg

Putting everything together:
I bought a set of 13-14 GT500 rear rotors and 03-04 Cobra pads. The bracket bolts to the spindle with new bolts and nuts and the caliper bolts to the bracket with the factory bolts. Because the GT500 rotors are 1mm thicker than Cobra rotors, I removed the insulators from the back of the pads to easily fit the rotor. I read that Ford ran in production for a while with no insulators on the pads so this is acceptable! Where the parking brake cable attaches to the lower spring perch no longer reaches, so I attached it using cable ties (mine has been held on with cable ties for 8 years; I broke the bolt off in the lower control arm a long time ago):
parking_brake_cable.jpg

11.65" 03-04 Cobra rear rotors:
rear_brakes_before.jpg

14" 13-14 GT500 rear rotors:
rear_brakes_after.jpg

14" front Brembo monoblocks:
front_brakes_after.jpg

Results:
  • unmodified factory (13-14 GT500) rotors
  • factory (03-04 Cobra) pads with insulators removed
  • unmodified factory (03-04 Cobra) caliper
  • working parking brake
  • optimal ~70/30 brake bias

Results with common big brake setups:
I created a calculator which shows the brake bias for common SN-95 front/rear brake combinations. Select the desired front caliper/rotor combination on the left and it will calculate and highlight the optimal rear caliper/rotor combination on the right.

SN-95 Brake Bias Calculator
note: I am happy to add more caliper/rotor combinations to the calculator! I just need caliper piston diameters, radial pad heights, and rotor diameters.

Some optimal results:
front setupbias Cobra reargood biasoptimal rear caliperoptimal rear rotor
00 Cobra R 13" Brembo69.3%69.3%94-04 Mustang99-04 Cobra
FTBR 14" Brembo F5075.0%71.3%94-04 Mustang13-14 GT500
FTBR 14.5" Brembo F5075.8%72.2%94-04 Mustang13-14 GT500
FTBR 14.5" Brembo F5075.8%71.1%96-99 Taurus99-04 Cobra
13-19 ATS 13" Brembo72.7%68.8%94-04 Mustang13-14 GT500
13-19 XTS 14" Brembo74.5%70.7%94-04 Mustang13-14 GT500

If you are interested in the adapters, send @lowranger96 a DM. I have designed versions for IRS and SRA (SRA brackets fit GT and Cobra axle brackets; require Cobra caliper brackets). All adapters are now machined and sold by S&S Engineering. The only additional parts are 13-14 GT500 rear rotors ($68+ for a pair) and 03-04 Cobra rear pads ($26+ for a set).

IRS installation instructions: https://lawpaul.github.io/SN95-Brake-Bias/doc/instructions/13-14_GT500_IRS.pdf

Wheel fitment: it looks like most/all 18” wheels will fit. Cast 17” wheels will not fit; forged 17” are plausible if someone is willing to take some measurements.

Last edited:

03HP

Established Member
Stupid question….I’m guessing 18in rims minimum?
I’m not sure! I’m pushing the caliper out radially ~1” and outboard (towards the wheel face) ~3/4”. Those two numbers will determine wheel fitment. My wheels in the picture are 18in and there is a decent bit of space for the rear caliper.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The real question....how much for you to make the brackets for use non-engineering types? I'd gladly check to see if they'll fit inside my 17's. :D

Would it be hard to manipulate the drawings to be able to use a 13" rotor?

Last edited:

03HP

Established Member
The real question....how much for you to make the brackets for use non-engineering types? I'd gladly check to see if they'll fit inside my 17's. :D
I know brackets + hardware can be under $200; that’s ballpark what my one-offs cost. If there is interest, I can get a quote on a small batch of the brackets being made which should decrease the price.

New rotors and pads can be under $100. I went with slightly nicer rotors and pads that were around $150 total.

03HP

Established Member
I would be interested if they fit 17in rims. Specifically stock rims.
Are you able to measure from your rear calipers for me? My stock wheels are a few hours away. I think it is very possible this will fit. The rotor’s radius is only 1cm larger than the OEM front rotors and the rear caliper is likely thinner than the front caliper.

03HP

Established Member
Between here and Facebook, there seems to be a good bit of interest. I’ll contact the machine shop about making a batch of at least 10 either tomorrow or Monday and report back with pricing/lead time. If anyone else is interested, please leave a comment so I can gauge how many to order.

03HP

Established Member

03HP

Established Member

03HP

Established Member
What did you use for the bracket hardware?
Here is a picture of the bracket mounted up:
bracket_mounted.jpg

For hardware, I matched the OEM bolt spec. From the factory, the calipers are mounted to the spindle using zinc plated class 10.9 flanged M12x35 bolts.

I needed a bit longer than the OEM bolts to bolt the bracket to the spindle and used matching class 10 M12 nuts with blue thread locker. The caliper bolts to the bracket with the factory bolts and blue thread locker; that part of the bracket is the same thickness as the spindle mounting holes to accommodate the factory bolts fitting properly. Everything was torqued to 80 ft-lbs; same as OEM.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

Would it be hard to manipulate the drawings to be able to use a 13" rotor?

pretty sure FTBR offers a 13" rear setup fyi

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
They do! The downsides are that it requires their custom rotors and the cheapest version is $834! FTBR does make excellent stuff; my IRS has all of the FTBR stuff on it and it is awesome!

that part I didnt remember

Users who are viewing this thread