Fixing SN-95 big brake bias: 14" 13-14 GT500 rear rotors on IRS + bias calculator for common brakes

cj428mach

Established Member
I doubt 17" rims will fit. I did the baer 13.25" rotor years ago to fix bias with the stock cobra caliper and it barely clears

03HP

Established Member
I doubt 17" rims will fit. I did the baer 13.25" rotor years ago to fix bias with the stock cobra caliper and it barely clears
Agreed. Maybe some forged 17s with a big brake cut. If you have 30mm between the caliper and the wheel barrel, these should fit.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a complete take off brake system from my ‘14 GT500 and converting my 2300k ‘03-04 Cobra equipped ‘93 Cobra to a FTBR built IRS.
I am interested in a set of IRS adapters.
-J

03HP

Established Member
I have a complete take off brake system from my ‘14 GT500 and converting my 2300k ‘03-04 Cobra equipped ‘93 Cobra to a FTBR built IRS.
I am interested in a set of IRS adapters.
-J
DM’d with more info! Let me know if you have any questions!

03HP

Established Member
Got some measurements on an OEM 17” wheel and the caliper doesn’t fit by a few millimeters because of how the barrel gets tighter close to the wheel face.

cj428mach

Established Member
Got some measurements on an OEM 17” wheel and the caliper doesn’t fit by a few millimeters because of how the barrel gets tighter close to the wheel face.
I had to grind the banjo bolt and get my wheel weights moved. I was able to move my parking brake mount bracket on the cable though so everything fit.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Might not be best idea but you can ‘clearance’ or grind down calipers if needed.
Have seen it done many times).
-J

03HP

Established Member
IMG_0241.jpeg

I picked up the batch of brackets today. The hardware is supposed to come Thursday and I’ll ship the kits out then! Here are the instructions for installation on an IRS car: https://lawpaul.github.io/SN95-Brake-Bias/doc/instructions/13-14_GT500_IRS.pdf

03HP

Established Member
Those look pretty.

Did you add the second set of holes to give more rotor options?
I would be interested in more rotor options, but the 13-14 GT500 rotors were the only ones I could find with a substantially different diameter from stock that fit these cars. Taurus SHO rotors are close but have too small of a hub, most rotors are too thick.

For reference:
GT rear rotors: 267x14mm
Cobra rear rotors: 296x18mm
S197 rear rotors: 300x19mm
13-14 GT500 rear rotors: 350x19mm

cj428mach

Established Member
I would be interested in more rotor options, but the 13-14 GT500 rotors were the only ones I could find with a substantially different diameter from stock that fit these cars. Taurus SHO rotors are close but have too small of a hub, most rotors are too thick.

For reference:
GT rear rotors: 267x14mm
Cobra rear rotors: 296x18mm
S197 rear rotors: 300x19mm
13-14 GT500 rear rotors: 350x19mm

You might look at designing a set for the 13.25" Baer rotor kit. I remember some people asking me to make them some back when I did mine. Honestly I'd probably buy a set as mine are made out of steel plate I hand cut with a plasma cutter and drilled with a drill press. They function but not up to the standards of like.

If I remember right the Baer rear rotors were right around $200 for the pair.

03HP

Established Member
You might look at designing a set for the 13.25" Baer rotor kit. I remember some people asking me to make them some back when I did mine. Honestly I'd probably buy a set as mine are made out of steel plate I hand cut with a plasma cutter and drilled with a drill press. They function but not up to the standards of like.

If I remember right the Baer rear rotors were right around $200 for the pair.
Does the Baer caliper bracket not fit Cobras? I don’t believe Baer provides all of the necessary rotor dimensions. If you can take some measurements of the rotor for me, I should be able to easily modify the design and include a 13.25” rotor adapter in the next batch.

I’ll probably run a new batch once the SRA adapter design is finalized. The current SRA adapter is confirmed to fit on GT and Cobra style rear axles. There may be some tweaks to that design to ease installation on the Cobra SRA.

cj428mach

Established Member
Does the Baer caliper bracket not fit Cobras? I don’t believe Baer provides all of the necessary rotor dimensions. If you can take some measurements of the rotor for me, I should be able to easily modify the design and include a 13.25” rotor adapter in the next batch.

I’ll probably run a new batch once the SRA adapter design is finalized. The current SRA adapter is confirmed to fit on GT and Cobra style rear axles. There may be some tweaks to that design to ease installation on the Cobra SRA.
It's been a long time so my memory could be fuzzy but I think their kit was only available for GTs and since they have a smaller stock caliper they won't work on the cobra. They'd move the rotor out too far.

03HP

Established Member
It's been a long time so my memory could be fuzzy but I think their kit was only available for GTs and since they have a smaller stock caliper they won't work on the cobra. They'd move the rotor out too far.
Those rotors could be a good option for people wanting larger rear brakes with 17” wheels. Although Baer’s site says they are 14mm thick rotors (same as GT) compared to the Cobra’s 18mm vented rotors. That may be less desirable for some people.

Users who are viewing this thread